Attire & Accessories Forum

CZ v diamonds

Sorry if this seems scandalous, but I was just wondering if anybody had a CZ ring.  Or if anybody had any thoughts as to why NOT to have a CZ ring.  My friend's BF is thinking about proposing and asked if CZ would be okay.  I wasn't really sure what to say, except  that I thought CZ wouldn't hold up as well.  Any help?  TIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket

Re: CZ v diamonds

• edited July 2010
    I do not have a CZ but I do have a man made stone. The stones in my ring are moissanite. Moissanite is harder than a CZ but not as hard as a diamond. Moissanite is a 9.5 on the hardness scale while a diamond is a 10.0 so it is a really hard and durable stone. Also moissanite is guaranteed never to get cloudy, change color or loose its brilliance which I believe can happen to a CZ over time. Moissanite is a gem stone just like a diamond or ruby is a gem stone. Moissanite is about one tenth of the price of a diamond but I am not sure how they compare to a CZ but I would assume they are more expensive. I am very happy with my ring and would look into moissanite if you are looking for a more affordable option than a diamond. We got my ring from http://www.moissaniteco.com/. Give them a look as well as http://www.moissanite.com/to get more information about moissanite.

Edit- If you go to www.moissanite.com and click on "what is moissanite" that gives you all the info you need and the "compare moissanite" like on that page will compare moissanite and CZ for you
  • It's scandalous! ;) I don't think it will hold up as well over the long run, but I don't suppose that's really an issue (she can always get a new one later). There's no reason for a couple to go into debt for a peice of fancy coal. It's the thought that counts, right?
  • I second moissanite.  It holds up pretty well (my ring got run over, the ring itself was all scratched but the stone was fine), and it's super sparkly, where CZ isn't as sparkly as a diamond.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

• Ditto moissanite.  Love my ring (it's in my sig) and it's 100% moissanite.  Haven't had it super long, but it's been impressing people in it's short life so far :) 

Sorry, I feel like everyone's telling you, "Well, I dunno about your question, but here's something related to it..." Best I can do, I guess. 
    This knottie's been ransacked, suckas!
  • The thing is, we can debate the pros and cons of moissanite vs CZ vs diamonds to our hearts' content. But SHE'S the one he's proposing to. He'd better make darn sure that she's OK with a non-diamond ring; I'd hate to be that guy who proposed with a fake ring when she wanted a real diamond.

I would simply tell him how you think she would feel about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Ditto ring_pop. I'll admit that I would have been a little taken aback if I had been given a non-diamond ring and was expecting a diamond. If they've discussed it before and she's open to the idea, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with a cheaper, and just as lovely option. But if she has an idea in her head already, there's a chance that going with a CZ or Moissanite ring will be a disappointment no matter how beautiful it is. 
  • edited July 2010
    I agree with ring_pop. If you think she would be fine with it go for it! I personally would have been very upset if my FI would have proposed with a CZ. But thats me and not her, its all about whats important to her :)
  • I was actually begging for a CZ due to that fact that it's thousands cheaper than a real diamond. I got the real diamond and obviously love it (the ring symbolizes him wanting to spend the rest of his life with me - what's not to love?) but I agree with the PP's - it's up to the girl. Maybe you could play detective and find out what she would want or he should have a talk with her without revealing too much.
  • I agree--as long as she knows right away that it's a CZ, it would then be up to her.  I opted for a gemstone surrounded by small diamonds to save money, instead of another type of stone, and everyone adores it.
    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
  • Just so you know ring_pop moissanite is not a fake diamond so if he gave her a moissanite ring he would not be giving her a "fake ring". I completely agree that what type of stone she wants needs to be discussed because she may want a diamond, a colored gem stone, or a white gem stone that is not a diamond. If she really wants a diamond there is nothing wrong with that but just because it is a white stone and not a diamond does not always mean it is fake. There are fake diamonds out there but moissanite is no more a fake diamond than a white sapphire is a fake diamond.
  • If he does go with a CZ, make sure she knows it! It'd be terribly embarrassing to go into a jewelry store thinking you have a diamond and then be told otherwise. Plus, certain cleaners will harm the CZ and can't be used on them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  •      FI proposed to me with a little plastic skull ring because he knows I am very particular and wanted me to pick out my own ring, while keeping his proposal a surpise. I thought it was awesome because I am pretty partial to little plastic rings and then I got to pick out my real one!! So it was wins all around in my situation... you might sugest something like that to him, I have a friend who proposed with a ring pop out on the softball field where they met. I thought that was really cute.
    Photobucket

We make the sun shine... Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have a blue sapphire, which is beautiful and far less expensive than a diamond. another alternative if you want the diamond look for less is a white sapphire. It is a real stone (not fake), is wayyyy cheaper, and sparkles beautifully
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards