Wedding Etiquette Forum

Lets talk valentines day.

What are you doing for it? I am so lost and I have nothing planned. If you are cooking please tell me what you are cooking as well.

Links are lovely.

Also, if you are doing nothing.. don't tell me. That doesn't help me at all.

Re: Lets talk valentines day.

• I just bought this cereal (I'm sure the release date is on purpose from Quaker)

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oat-cereals/Whole-Hearts/Original.aspx

We'll be going out to dinner.  Probably to a steak restaurant or something.  I'll get Matt a card.  I hope he knows we're not doing gifts this year. 
  • We agreed to only spend $5 on each other this year b/c of the wedding, which we both agreed limits us to cards.  I'm being sneaky with this and getting a deck of cards and writing a reason why I love him on each card.  It's a card gift right?  We didn't specify what type of cards :)
  • I was going to ask this same thing.  I think we'll probably stay pretty low-key, but I might make dinner.  Like Rach, probably lasagna. I have a recipe similar to this one, that's delicious.I'm still trying to figure out what to bake for dessert though.

H has started doing a bunch of at-home brewing (beer and wine), so I might get him stuff for that? He has a wish-list saved of stuff, thankfully. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_lets-talk-valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75b1d586-b6e1-4478-a813-3b01afddb131Post:f4121f9b-fc67-42bc-9e55-619520c53384">Re: Lets talk valentines day.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We'll probably cook something. FI's favorite food is lasagna so I'm going to attempt to make that.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>I made this a few weeks ago - it turned out <em>really</em> well and was super easy.</div><div><a href="http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-spinach-and-ricotta-lasagna-with-romaine-salad-00000000052378/index.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-spinach-and-ricotta-lasagna-with-romaine-salad-00000000052378/index.html</a> </div><div>
    </div><div>I was skeptical at first that crock pot lasagna would be good but it was excellent.</div><div>
    </div><div>Make sure to drain the spinach really well.  Also - I subbed half the spinach for sausage since we're meat people.</div>
  • We're just doing cards this year and we'll either go out to a small Italian restaurant where we can bring our own wine or we'll stay in and I'll make something he loves but we don't make often, like lasagna.  If we stay in I'll probably try to get him to make me some shrimp scampi. 
  • We have never gone out for Valentine's Day, but this year we have a counseling session right before, and our counselor recommended we go out to dinner right after.  Since the crowds are going to be insane, I'm angling to go to this great Thai place we went to for my birthday, it's really delicious and the prices are relatively low.  Hopefully it won't be too mobbed.

We put a monetary limit on gifts.  I bought H the last three seasons of one of his favorite TV shows.  I have no idea what he's getting me.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I was thinking about getting Ell a nice 6 pack of beer, and then going out to our favorite BYOB Thai place. I did get a new dress that would be fun to wear out, just for the heck of it, but it depends on the weather. Nothing is set in stone yet. A new hibachi sushi place just opened up near by, which is also an option. Tuesdays are my long days of work, so I am extra stumped with low-key and local ideas.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FI and I agreed to write a "love letter" to each other and then rent Paranormal Activity 3 (we love horror movies, especially bad ones) and order in Chinese food - his favorite. 

Chelsea, I did the card thing for FI on Christmas and he loves it.  Throw some funny, inappropriate ones in there for some laughs. 
  • We're keeping it low key as well. I was going to make him a heart shaped cake but he's trying to lose weight and has requested no baked goods so I'll probably be taking him out for frozen yogurt. I also got him a really cute "Yoda best" card that he'll love. 
  • Maybe I will try to make lasagana with that a bechamel sauce.

Lots of wine will need to be purchased as well.
  • We're not doing anything on Valentine's Day.  H is on jury duty next week so we don't want to make plans and then have a chance of them getting cancelled.

But, next weekend we're going to Cheesecake Factory with my BIL and his gf.  I got H a giftcard to there as a very huge hint and he actually caught on.  We'll probably go see a movie or rent a movie too.
  • I'M TELLING YOU ANYWAY:  Probably nothing serious. 

My birthday is so close we either do something on Vday or my birthday. 

Are you still thinking about rock climbing?

6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches

• We have fiance's son on Valentine's Day (we never have him on a Tuesday -  the drama part of me wants to think his mom is just screwing with us) -- so we're going out to dinner on the 13th, and then I will make all three of us the Valentine meal I make every year - salad, steak, sauteed mushrooms, twice baked potato and some kind of strawberry dessert.
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • I think we are just taking each other to a movie. We're poor mofos.
  • We will probably stay in as well, in an effort to save money.  I will probably make this recipe for spaghetti (since I couldn't find bucatini at the grocery store): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bucatini-with-bacon-sauce-and-meatballs-recipe/index.html

I made this for Christmas and it was so damn good!  I may not even wait until Tuesday to make it...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Last year H made me braised short ribs.  They were to die for.

This year he is going to Florida with his brother.

• I will be going to school.  Romantic, I know.  Normally we don't do much.  Sometimes he buys me an orchid and picks up breakfast from Panera if it's a weekend.  I think maybe I'll make him get stuff to make a nice dinner and I'll break my no wine during the week rule.  Dinner will have to be something that can be made quickly or something he can make by himself since I'll be in class until 7:30.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • edited February 2012
    Chels- I did that card thing for H when we were dating. He loved it. When we moved I found them in his sock drawer.. Which is a funny place but apparently he still looks at them occasionally.
  • We don't celebrate V'Day for a variety of reasons. However, we had our first date on February 17th so we just celebrate that instead. I am pretty sure we're going to a Turkish restaurant that I have a Groupon for. I bought him the first season of Boardwalk Empire on DVD, we don't generally do big gifts. 

That weekend we are also going away with friends to stay at a cabin. I think they're going skiing but we'll probably just cuddle by the fire and have some romantic times while they're out. One of the friend's we're going with is a professional chef so it should be a great weekend! 
  • FI and I are staying in.  He works late on Tuesdays, so we won't have dinner.  But I will make dessert for when he comes home.  There is a small shop in the town I work that makes the best brownies ever!  So I'm having the brownie, fresh sliced strawberries, and homemade chocolate whipped cream.  Then a drizzle of chocolate syrup on top.  It is yummy! 

And we aren't doing gifts this year, since the wedding is coming up in 5 weeks. 

Whipped cream recipe: heavy whipping cream (small one), powedered sugar, cocoa, chocolate syrup.  Whip heavy cream in mixer until it is stiff, add powdered sugar to taste (about 3/4 cup), add a few tablespoons of cocoa, and a few squirts of chocolate syrup.  There really is no exact recipe, but it is so good!
  • I don't know what we are doing yet. We will probably have date night and go out for dinner and a movie. We'll probably be doing it this weekend though because Valentines Day on Tuesday isn't good for us. 

I want to something sweet for H. One year I made him a book and we add notes and pictures to it all the time. I'm thinking of adding some wedding photos in there for him and writing him mushy crap. 

I am going to make cupcakes too. I always make Valentines Day cupcakes. This year they are for my sister though. Cherry Coke cupcakes. 
  • IM GIVING A BJ.  
  • You would, Stacks.

• V-Day should just be like any other day right?  
  • We got groupons to Color Me Mine and we are going to make mugs for each other this weekend.  J says he has made dinner plans for us for Tuesday, but I have no idea where we are going.  Oh, and I bought him a Han Solo in Carbonite iPhone case that he will go crazy about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Well next year when H and I are finally together for one, he better do something kickass to make up for all of this crap!

This year my parents will be here during V-day, so my dad will probably make my mom and I a kickass dinner.  My mom mentioned crab legs or lobster or something good like that.  I guess if I can't be with H my parents are a good substitute.  H sent a gift and it's supposed to be here tomorrow so I can't wait to see what that is.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • This is true, Stack.  So true.

• H will be out of town so we won't be doing anything. Normally we don't even say happy v-day to each other so really that makes no difference. Maybe I'll make Whisky my valentine and give him lots of treats and cook myself a pot pie.

I like the card idea, chels.
  • It is our 6 year "dating" anniversary, so I'll probably make steak and potatoes for dinner and we will likely make chocolate covered strawberries (our tradition).

I may steal the playing cards idea.  That's really cute.  I was going to do a daily calendar in a similar fashion (365 reasons I love him), but the daily calendar is appearing to be a large task and I don't know if I will finish it in time for Vday.

FI birthday was 1/31, so I just got him an actual gift.
  • Mmm chocolate covered strawberries.  My mom just got a flat of strawberries from a patient, and we have a bunch of chocolate left from Christmas.  PERFECT.

"Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards