Canada-Ontario

buyer's remorse

hi everyone! my friend is getting married next year and is having all kinds of buyer's remose from her decorator to her officiant.

anyone have any advice that i can tell her?

Re: buyer's remorse

• Why is she suddenly having buyers remorse? Depending on her budget/finances could she forgo any deposits and find new vendors?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • It's a long way away, she has time to change her vendors if she hasn't given a deposit yet, or to change her choices (flower, cake) if she has already given deposits.
  • she has put a non-refundable deposit down on the vendor ($3000), wedding planner ($2000) and photographer ($500). i personally think that the deposits shouwl be refundable since the venues still have well over 11 months to book another wedding but whatever.

if she was to forfeit it, that's $5500 wasted.

she just feels like she didn't shop around enough, didn't get better options from her wedding planner and made haste decisions.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_having-buyers-remorse-with-my-banquet-hall-need-some-good-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:caae302a-8d96-4cfd-988a-033e258d5e80Post:6cc6b8b3-a8f3-4af7-876b-53d724fb504f">Re: buyer's remorse</a>:
    [QUOTE]she has put a non-refundable deposit down on the vendor ($3000), wedding planner ($2000) and photographer ($500). i personally think that the deposits shouwl be refundable since the venues still have well over 11 months to book another wedding but whatever. if she was to forfeit it, that's $5500 wasted. she just feels like she didn't shop around enough, didn't get better options from her wedding planner and made haste decisions.
    Posted by hipannie[/QUOTE]

If she doesn't want to forefit the deposits then I suppose that this will just be a lesson learned for future large purchases. The deposits for the vendor (what type of vendor is this, btw?) and the wedding planner do seem kind of steep; I wonder how much she is paying total for those services for a deposit to be that much. Also, I hope she has signed contracts for all of these people.

I would just suggest to her that for any further vendors/services she is going to book that she does her research, reads reviews, and negotiates prices before putting deposits down and signing contracts. Did she start with a budget?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • It's really early in the game for her to be putting down deposits like that.  We only had to put a 30% down payment on our venue up front, the rest were in the $0-$200 range for deposits.  Most of the payments didn't happen until the 6-8 weeks before the wedding.

Like Kristbot said, I guess she's learned a lesson! She doesn't have to lose that $5500 at this point, it's worth asking if the vendors will give back the money (if they book someone else for that day it's likely they will refund it) or will at least work with her to get a package/services that work for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards