Attire & Accessories Forum

BM David's Bridal Problems!

One of my bridesmaids ordered her dress from David's Bridal a couple of months ago and when the dress arrived, it's too small in the bust.  Prior to purchasing the dress, we asked the alterations manager could the dress be taken in or out as needed and she stated it would not be a problem.  Well, I called to schedule the alterations appt. for my BMs and now the alterations manager is saying that my BM's dress cannot be let out (keep in mind it was the same woman!).  Has anyone else had this issue with David's Bridal before?  If you have had an issue such as this with your BMs, did you finally manage to get the dress altered somewhere else?

Re: BM David's Bridal Problems!

• First of all, who sized your BM for her dress? If they did it then they should be held responsible for getting your BM a dress that fits.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't like my expereince with DB because they were kinda pushy and rude. I found a local store in my state that was soooo much more nice and helpful.
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Just take it to another seamstress and see what she says.  Did the DB alterations department say why they weren't able to let it out?  Maybe you misunderstood.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited August 2010
    waltzing - No one measured her when we went in.  She tried on a dress in her normal size and it fit her like a glove.  So we ordered that size. 
    srkropf - We would've loved to go to a local store but in eastern NC, it's really hard to find a local store with gowns that are affordable.  There's a dress shop in my hometown but all the dresses are upwards of $1500 and I just couldn't afford that. 
    aerinpegadrak - We contacted my mother's favorite tailor and he says it won't be a problem.  He said BMs dresses are easy fixes when you have the fabric (and, it just so happens, we do - another BM is having her dress hemmed about two or three inches so he's taking the excess fabric from that dress to let out the bust on the other dress.  As to why they said they couldn't let it out, "There's no extra fabric on BM dresses.  We've never been able to let out BM dresses."  That still never explained why she told me (and my other BMs) that those dresses could be let out (my MOH specifically asked two or three times).
  • You should have ordered a size larger, as sample gowns get stretched out over time and a new gown will feel tighter.

If you've got extra fabric and a good tailor, you shouldn't have any problem getting a little extra fabric put in under each arm. But if you were misled about whether a dress could be let out, I would push the issue with DB and get them to rush an exchange so that you don't have to deal with this.
  • We tried that.  They're sticking by their, "All sales are final" rule.  Either way, the tailor we picked out said it shouldn't be a problem and he's willing to let us wait til closer to the wedding date (10/16) to adjust the dresses unlike the 6 weeks DB is "requiring" (if we wait longer, they said they'll charge us a rush fee).  I've tried to find a phone number or email to complain to DB but it's like searching for needle in a haystack.
  • Ugh. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with them. It's funny, some people have no trouble with them at all, and some have absolutely nightmarish experiences.

Anyway, you're better off without using them for alterations anyway. They're supposed to be pricier than they're worth.
  • Can't you just exchange it for a larger size?  I know David's usually doesn't accept returns, but if you bat your eyes and ask nicely (and if the dress is still in new condition), they'll usually do exchanges.  If not at this location, you could try asking at another one.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • opalsky007 - agreed.  I truly wish I could have gone elsewhere for my alterations on my wedding dress.  They did a nice job (until the hem fell out, which they're asking me to pay for to repair, mind you) but it cost almost HALF as much as the dress itself!  I had a wonderful experience until the alterations mess with my BMs.  Don't get me wrong, the alterations lady who worked with me was wonderful but once stuff started going wrong, DB's true colors have come out.

aerinpegadrak - They don't do exchanges either.  "All sales final" to them means no returns or exchanges.  Besides, if we got a bigger dress, the entire thing (besides the bust) would need to be take in.  So it'll be cheaper in the long run to just keep the dress we have and use the tailor in town.
  • Stick with the tailor you found.  I'm one of the rare few that had no problems with her BM dresses from there.  I didn't get my dress from there though.  The sucky thing is that its her mistake for just ordering that size, but the shop also should have made her aware that they stretch out.  That happened to me before for a friends wedding at another shop and now I know much better.  The woman we worked with at DB was really good about forcing every girl to get measured and recommending the best size for her. 

I would still try taking it to another DB store if there is on near you and see if they will exchange it.  The one thing I have learned from DB is that they are hit or miss depending on the salesperson you get. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker

• I feel you we have only 2 options in town for bridal shop.. one is David's.. the other is a upscale one that is about 2x as much.  I have never had any problems with DB but I know people who have.  My friends went for her final fitting and the seem was wrong the beading was wrong it was still too big and it was 2 weeks till wedding.. needless to say they ordered her a completely new dress and it was perfect for the wedding. I think if you throw a big enough fit then they will work iwth you. I bought my wedding dress there... and you can guarantee if they mess it up... I will throw a fit till they fix it  Innocent
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards