New York-Upstate

Band Vs DJ

I'm beginning to look at DJs and bands in the Albany/ Saratoga region. Does anyone have advice over which is better and/or recommendations of bands or djs??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Band Vs DJ

• edited December 2011
    To go DJ or Band really seems like a personal taste decision.  We really like a huge variety of music and have little appreciation for cover bands...just our taste.  So we went with a DJ.  My brother had a swing band at his wedding that was awesome.  But all they played was swing music (and played it very well).  It also depends on your venue and the vibe of your wedding.  Bands can get pricey depending on how big of a band you hire.  A good place to scope out your options are wedding shows.  Musicians hand out CDs and info that can help you make a decision.  HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    As a musician myself, I choose DJ.  The reason being, musicians need breaks...when I play a wedding I play 20 minutes on 5-10 minutes off as my instrument is string and I need to let my fingers rest.  I didn't want a break every 20-30 minutes during my wedding. Also, yes you can have a bad DJ, but you can have an even worse band.  There are on days and off days and when they are off, they can be horrid.  Also, a lot of musicians are flakey.  While I have NEVER missed a gig, I know many that have and I did not feel like showing up on my wedding day to find the main singer drank too much the night before and didn't show.  There's some of my arguement for a DJ but if you want a band, just make sure you have a solid contract and you've seen them perfrom a few times. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I went back and forth but in the end, we booked a dj for similar reasons as above and cheaper, one mouth to feed, plays any song you want, less breaks...We chose DJ Pianoman and have been very satisfied thus far!
  • edited December 2011
    I went with a band because it really fit the feel and location of our venue. They were amazing and we didn't pay that much more than a DJ because they were new to our area. For us, it was the right decision but it really does come down to what you want! GL
  • jed15jed15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really love the idea of a band at a wedding.  DJs remind me of prom and every other high school dance I've ever been to.
  • edited December 2011
    ::shrugs:: High school was a looonngg time ago for me.  I barely remember prom... ;o)
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a classical guitarist play our ceremony and cocktail hour. After that, we have a DJ. I like the mix of both.
  • AKatharineAKatharine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just ditched all of our plans and are going for a 2011 wedding. With that said I think it really depends upon the couple, the setting, and the feel of the wedding. We will probably go for a band. But we are also looking into doing our reception on a boat like the JP Morgan if we did that we are going to do a band and a DJ. Band for inside and DJ for outside on the deck. But if we end up leaning more towards the Sagamore we think we will do a band.
  • edited December 2011
    We had a guitarist/singer and a saxophonist do our ceremony, the guitarist/singer did our cocktail hour, and then we had a DJ for the reception. There were no breaks at all and it was wonderful. Everyone raved about how non- traditional it all was.
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • haven3haven3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got married last weekend and had the best band ever, Atlas, out of Rochester. They kept the party going and everyone all night kept saying how amazing they were. Check out their site, they travel all over! Good luck!
  • dray10486dray10486 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all your comments!! Piano Man DJs are one of the ones I'm looking at, along with the Karen Lawrence Band. I will also check out Atlas. Thanks for the feedback!!
  • edited December 2011
    I am with the band ladies. We had a band at our August wedding and would not have changed that if we were to relive the day. I have never heard of band members flaking out but that being said, what if your ONE DJ was to flake, get in an accident, etc- then you have no one? I think taking "flaking out" by a highly recommended professional into consideration will make your head spin because that could be said about ANY wedding vendor. We had a formal wedding and wanted a formal feel, the band we had did not sound like a cheese coverband you find in a downtown bar. I guess you get what you pay for/pick out. Our band is extremely reputable in the Albany area and except for one person on here that did not like the customer service, I have not heard a single bad thing. As for the concern with breaks- we are both Jewish, and my family is Russian, we took the 2 15 minute breaks (in a 4 hour set) as opportunity to play a handful of songs we selected from our backgrounds, on CD. I think they also played some light Jazz. Realize that they take the first break during dinner, when no one needs to be up and dancing.
  • edited December 2011
    100% band! You don't have to worry about any cheesy songs being played!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards