Ohio-Cincinnati

Ceremony Music

I was curious to see how everyone was handling their ceremony music?  I have always imagined that I would have a string duet or something like that for ceremony music, but can't really see paying $300+ for two people to come and play for less than an hour.  The only alternative I can think of is simply using a boombox with cd music....

Anyone else facing (or faced) this challenge?  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Re: Ceremony Music

• edited December 2011
    We are having one of FI's friends play acoustic guitar (& ukulele) for our ceremony. His is really good and plays all over the city. We are hopefully having our ceremony outside, weather permitting, so due to the surroundings we couldn't have a dj play music b/c it would bounce off the buildings and sound horrible. I'm glad that we are having the guitar though b/c it add something a little different.

If you are really set on having a string duet play for the ceremony, I would contact some college band students and see if they would be interested in doing it. Obviously, if you went this route you would have to have them "audition" for you. That's an option to help save money???

GL!
    Anniversary
  • abromanelloabromanello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also thought of having a duo/trio, but didn't want to pay the cost.  I ended up booking a classical guitarist for $150 (his quoted price was $175 but I talked him down).  He is from the Ault Trio, but also does solo gigs.  I think it will be nice without the extra cost.  If you want more info, you can email me at abromanello at yahoo dot com.
  • jenn1981jenn1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our ceremony was outside- we just booked a dj that had two sets of sound equipment, and had him set up a smaller version for our outdoor ceremony, and his normal set up was inside for our reception.
    My brother played the keyboard for about 25 minutes of prelude music, but he was in the wedding so I didn't want him playing once the wedding started. We chose piano music by the ONeill Brothers for our processionals and recessional that our DJ played off a cd i burned for him. It worked out perfectly and sounded great.

Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jetadore312jetadore312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi econner-
    I am having a big church wedding but hired a violinist who is incredible.  
    Especially for an outdoor wedding-a violin could be AWESOME.  If you'd like her info, let me know. She's $175 for the ceremony!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oops, meant to address my post before to Hunleywedding! Sorry! 
  • hunleyweddinghunleywedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

jetadore312 - thanks for the info.  Do you mind sending me the violinist's information? 

abromanello - I just sent you an email for the guitarist's information.

I will add both of these to my list to look into!

• edited December 2011
    I found a couple that plays viloin as a duet. They quoted me $125 for 15 mins before the ceremony and the ceremony. Any extra time after the ceremony is $40 per half hour. We are meeting with them in a few weeks to hear them play.
    Here is the email: tompkikr@gmail.com
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    econner-what songs are you having your friend play? I asked my cousin to play acoustic but I am not sure what to have him play.
  • edited December 2011
    mrs.smith - we are having him play his usual songs for the seating of the guests - just casual songs, ie. Neil Young, Damien Rice, David Gray etc.. He's played several weddings before, so I trust his choice of songs for this part. For the seating of the mothers (and my grandmother) he will be playing a ukulele for the song 'Over the Rainbow/It's a Wonderful Life'. For the girls, he will just play a classical piece and then for my walk I'm torn between him playing "Forever" by Ben Harper or the acoustic version of the Bridal Walk. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh ok, awesome. Thanks for the suggestions:) I love Damien Rice so I may see if he knows any of his stuff. He said he is willing to learn new material. I love th Over the Rainbow idea too.
  • hunleyweddinghunleywedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    econnor42 - does your friend do other weddings or is he doing it for you as a favor? 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!
    Wedding violinist is Mimi Sinclair. The music director at my church knows her and helped set it up, but here is her website. I would just call and ask if she's available on your date-our wedding director raves about her and everything I requested, she can play! Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards