Just Engaged and Proposals

How would you feel?

To know the exact engagement ring you are getting?

We went to look at rings, to give him an idea of what I liked and I found one that I absolutly loved... that also happened to be under our limit for the ring! He said if I loved it so much, we could put it in layaway and make monthly payments - so that is what we did.

He said that if we did not get it that day he would have come back in a few days to get it.

Though I am so happy it was under out budget and though I am so happy that I found one that I fell in love with, I would have liked to see what he would have picked if I would not have really loved that ring :)

Re: How would you feel?

• I knew the exact engagement ring I was getting - my grandmother's.  I had stared at it my whole life and I knew it was exactly what I wanted.

My proposal wasn't any less special because I knew what the ring looked like.  What made it special was my fiance being himself. 

Don't over think it!  I hope you have a lovely proposal :)
  • Mine was a total surprise, as was the proposal, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. To each his own, I guess.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I picked mine out. Diamonds are way cheaper in the US than in Chile, and there was no way for FI to know where to go or go to a jewelry store on his own without me knowing when we were in the US. He knows my taste well, so I'm sure he would have been fine on his own, but shopping together was fun, and it did guarantee the perfect ring.

The proposal was still a total surprise, and I don't feel like I missed out on anything by knowing which ring I was getting.
  • My guy doesn't know diamonds. I had to help pick out the stone to make sure the jewelry store didn't talk him into a huge rock that was cut badly. I also ok-ed the free  setting it came with.  I'm picky so he preferred I got what I wanted instead of him spending $$ on something I didn't like.

I still cried when he opened the box & looked at me. The ring in the box w/ your man looking all proud & sweet, you will  still get that fuzzy feeling. Don't worry.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • The proposal was a complete surprise and sans ring.  I always wished that he had proposed with a ring, but I'm glad I got to pick mine out.  I think he would have chosen something a bit smaller.  :)
  • I picked out my ring and I was actually there when he bought it, they had to ship it in from another store so we went to look at it, I said thats the one and he bought it right there. We couldn't take it home because they had to send it out to be sized so it was a suprise as to when I got it.
    I wouldn't have had it any other way because I am very picky, I think he was glad he didn't have to choose! I feel even more happy we did it this way after reading some of the posts of girls that don't like their rings.
  • I picked my exact ring out. And I don't feel terrible about that at all.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • He and I had gone together to just look, just to see what eachother's tastes were.  A  couple of months later, He went to go buy a ring.  I knew he was going, and sent my mother's  ( not my mom's ring... a ring I have for being a mother) ring w/ him so that he could get somehting similar in style.  And while I knew what he got, where he got it at, and pretty much when I was getting it...we both got all giddy and happy that night when he showed them to me... (and then told me I couldn't have it until he did the "real" proposal).  Cool
  • I had a vague idea of what I was getting. We had gone ring shopping a lot and I had tried on everything from a .5 carat round cut solitaire to a 1.5 carat princess cut with a diamond band. My FI would watch my reactions and we would talk about it but he would never tell me what he thought and he didn't buy the ring with me there. In the end which one he choose was a surprise which was nice but I sometimes wish he had let me choose the band because it feels a little uncomfortable on me at times.
  • My proposal and ring where both a surprise. When one of our friends got engaged, the girl totally hated the ring, so he did ask me for "general ideas" to avoid that from happening, but otherwise, he was on his own.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • This was the same senario i had, so i asked him what he would have actually chosen if he had done is solo. He showed me a 3 stone ring, a solitare, and a princess with a halo and side diamonds.... Every "what if" i had flew out the window lol my ring is a round stone with a swirl set of diamonds on the sides, I LOVE IT and am happy that i was able to be there to pick out the ring i will wear forever.
  • My fiance went ahead and picked out everything about the engagement ring all by himself. I told him the specific style I thought I wanted and he ended up mentioning another style. He asked me to go and look at a couple different rings and I did and I ended up looking at the ring that I ended up getting and loving it! He did so awesome that I am still in amazement, he even already had the ring before I had started looking at rings! I ended up seeing the ring several times over our webcam dates because we are currently long distance because he is stationed in Florida and is enlisted in the United States Navy. Needless to say I was ecstatic when he proposed and I adore everything about the ring and him!
  • I picked out my ring myself.  I love it and he wouldnt have known what to pick out.  I dont feel bad picking it out because $5-10k is a lot to spend on something (that I'll have to wear every day of my life) that I don't like. The proposal was still a total surprise!
  • I designed my own ring, so you can assume I do not have a problem with it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • well personally i would love to know the exact ring lol i definitely have my own style so i'm pretty picky when it comes to jewelry or anything i'm wearing.. 

but like you said i would like to see what he'd pick out by himself.. though knowing FI taste in jewelry.. that might be a better idea in theory lol..
  • I not only picked mine out, I (gasp!) made the first payment right there at the store before we walked out.  The only downside was that he had planned the proposal out exactly- and it didn't happen for 6 months.  The end of those six months were pretty rough, knowing he had it but not when he would propose!

Btw, FI told me previously what he wanted to propose with.. which is why we went shopping together.  He had more of an anniversary type ring in mind, not anything like what I ended up with.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_would-feel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:018974a6-25e7-4e03-94aa-dfe7d9cd1a78Post:2ee854e4-ca43-453c-8455-8cae4798b5dd">Re: How would you feel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I not only picked mine out, I (gasp!) made the first payment right there at the store before we walked out.  The only downside was that he had planned the proposal out exactly- and it didn't happen for 6 months.  The end of those six months were pretty rough, knowing he had it but not when he would propose! Btw, FI told me previously what he wanted to propose with.. which is why we went shopping together.  He had more of an anniversary type ring in mind, not anything like what I ended up with.
    Posted by swim1011[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I actually put the ring on my credit card...since we were buying in the US, his Chilean bank would have charge him commission on an international purchase. Instead I bought it, and he paid me back. It might not be traditional, but it worked for us.
  • I picked out three different rings with three different price, high/medium/low and he made the final decision. I was with him when he bought it. So the proposal was an awesome surprise, and the ring was a little surprise :) It didn't make the proposal any less special.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I picked  my ring out as well, partially because my FI was iffy about byuing jewerly on his own, and also because I as deathly afraid of what he would pick out, haha. There's nothing wrong with it if you know exactly what kind you want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My proposal came with a promise ring (I'm 29) so I was a little disappointed and confused (he said "will you marry me someday?"). Who gives a promise ring anymore? (I know, that sounds b*tchy). We were fortunate that my FI's cousin worked for Kay Jewelers at the time and we got a serious discount and the engagement ring. I gave him a couple options and he picked the one I loved the most. I still cried when he gave it to me a month later. I wear the promise ring on my right hand.
  • My ring and proposal were both complete surprises and I LOVED it - wouldn't have wanted it any other way!  Everyone is different.  I found it so unique and special that FI was able to pick a beautiful ring that I love without any help from me at all, and he also planned out an amazing proposal in St. Thomas. 

Never knew he had it in him Tongue out

• I know the stone that I'm getting but other then that I've got no clue!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards