New Jersey

Rehearsal Dinner..Who to Invite?

So this has been on my mind and I know I have a few months, but I was wanted to see some peoples' opinions.

For the reshearsal dinner, I'm assuming I will be inviting BM, GM, Parents, GParents and the readers...Are you inviting your BM & GM with guests? Some of my friends and family are living with their significant others or engaged/dating a while...I have a rather large bridal party and with just the list I said it's almost 25 people.  If you invited our 7 BM and 7 GM with people, thats another 14 people, which kind of seems like alot for a rehearsal dinner?  All of these people will be coming to Bridal Shower/Weddings, so do you think you need to invite them to the dinner too? My mom thinks no, because their not involved in the rehearsal.  What's everyone elses' thoughts? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rehearsal Dinner..Who to Invite?

• I believe people on the etiquitte board would tell you that you can't split up a social unit - if your GM / BM are dating someone you must invite them together as a couple. 

WIth that said I have a much smaller party (3 BM / 3 GM) and I will be inviting their significant others to the rehearsal dinner. 
    wedding countdown
  • Our bridal parties are on the larger side (6 BM and 11 GM). We are inviting all with a guest.  Most are either married or engaged.  The few that aren't are still invited with a guest. 
  • I thinks its good to invite the bridal party with their significant other.  My fiance was in a bridal party a couple years ago and I was not invited to the rehearsal dinner and I thought that was really rude of them considering I was also good friends with them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We invited our bridal party with dates if they were in a serious relationship.  If they were just bringing some random +1 to the actual wedding, they weren't invited with a guest to the rehearsal.  
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • I was having the same conflict last week and decided it is just better to invite the dates of the BM & GM.  Personally, I have never expected to be invited whenever my FI was in a wedding, but for a lot of people in our wedding they are in serious relationships and it just seems right to include their dates.  

I know it becomes a lot of extra people but I think its one of those things you just give in on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've always been to rehearsal dinners when my FI (or BF at the time) was a GM.  It's a great way to meet others.  Plus, many of these weddings were his college friends, so I didn't know everyone very well.  Not only did I have a chance to meet everyone the night before, but it gave me a chance to bond with the other significant others so I had someone to hang with while FI was off doing bridal party duties on the wedding day.  

If you can swing it, definitely invite them.  We've inviting everyone with a guest, mostly b/c everyone is married.  Plus, we don't want them abandoning their significant others in a strange town alone for dinner.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • We invited the bridal party & significant others (our two single bridesmaids were not invited plus 1 to the RD, which was fine with them, they had dates for the wedding though), our parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles as well as H's mom's cousins who were staying with his aunt & uncle.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • We would have invited just the bridal party and anyone involved with the ceremony, however we made it an OOT dinner so anyone staying at the hotel the night before was invited.  I think it would be rude not to invite the dates if they are dating/married/engaged, if its a random date then you don't have to invite them.

• We did as Agu101 said... It was a great way for the dates to bond with each other, especially the ones who didn't know anyone else. Some of the BP didn't bring dates, but they all got an invitation.
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_rehearsal-dinnerwho-to-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:dc970a68-81c9-45b8-a10e-50cb265383e9Post:ad8f7538-c652-44d0-96f5-8343ef062559">Re: Rehearsal Dinner..Who to Invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did as Agu101 said... It was a great way for the dates to bond with each other, especially the ones who didn't know anyone else. Some of the BP didn't bring dates, but they all got an invitation.
    Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We're inviting our BP (with a guest), parents, readers, FG's & their parents, RB & his parents, Jr. BM & her parents, my grandmother (although FMIL said she's not inviting FH's grandparents b/c she needs a "break" from them lol)</div>
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_rehearsal-dinnerwho-to-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:dc970a68-81c9-45b8-a10e-50cb265383e9Post:a6cd0907-b3b5-452b-a09a-d9fb433047c5">Rehearsal Dinner..Who to Invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So this has been on my mind and I know I have a few months, but I was wanted to see some peoples' opinions. For the reshearsal dinner, I'm assuming I will be inviting BM, GM, Parents, GParents and the readers...Are you inviting your BM & GM with guests? Some of my friends and family are living with their significant others or engaged/dating a while...I have a rather large bridal party and with just the list I said it's almost 25 people.  If you invited our 7 BM and 7 GM with people, thats another 14 people, which kind of seems like alot for a rehearsal dinner?  All of these people will be coming to Bridal Shower/Weddings, <strong>so do you think you need to invite them to the dinner too?</strong> My mom thinks no, because their not involved in the rehearsal.  What's everyone elses' thoughts? 
    Posted by LDamiani[/QUOTE]

Yes you most definitely should invite their significant others to your rehearsal dinner.  I have been invited with FI to every rehearsal dinner that he was in the bridal party and vise versa with me.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_rehearsal-dinnerwho-to-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:dc970a68-81c9-45b8-a10e-50cb265383e9Post:4d613cfc-0ade-4d04-a983-2bdb7d478299">Re: Rehearsal Dinner..Who to Invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We invited our bridal party with dates if they were in a serious relationship.  If they were just bringing some random +1 to the actual wedding, they weren't invited with a guest to the rehearsal.  
    Posted by kristen8040[/QUOTE]

This is exaclty what we are doing.  They don't get a plus one to the rehearsal if they are not in a relationship. 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We are inviting guests mostly because 6 out of 12 s/o's are on the other side of the bridal party so its not really fair to the other 6 to not have their s/o's there but as pp's said no random +1's to the rehersal . 
  • Good to know..I didn't realize so many people actually invited the significant others....I'll have to talk to FI's parents when the time comes and see what they want to do, but I'll make it known that it's standard custom.

Did they come to the Church as well for the rehearsal?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm actually having close to 80 people at our rehersal dinner. We are having alot of out of towners and we do have a very big bridal party. 10 bm and 14 groomsmen. All of there spouses/significant others only in serious realtionships and Our parents of course . I find it kind of rude not inviting there spouses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards