Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

PSA: Comcast

Just wanted to let everyone know that Comcast is going to a completely all digital network- we got a call last night.  While we have digital downstairs, we have just regular cable upstairs.

Basically, this means that if you have regular cable, you will need to get one of the black boxes that allows you to recieve channels that are considered regular but have got to a digital format (TNT, HGTV, Nick, Disney, Cartoon Network, TLC, etc).  The box is free for the first two, then it's a one time fee of $10 a box.

So, if you don't have digital in your bedroom or basement or your kid's rooms, make sure you get one of the special boxes!

Re: PSA: Comcast

• edited December 2011

This happened to us a few months ago.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • edited December 2011
    I thought the whole country went digital last year?  Around June-ish.  There were a ton of ads on TV when  I was home for those two months.  
  • edited December 2011
    I feel like I'm in a time warp to back in the fall - it's been like this for a while now. My parents & sister have a box for their rooms and I haven't had one since the switch.. I don't watch TV in my room which is why I didn't get one (+ moving out in a few months + they charge over a certain number of boxes), but needlesstosay, I get a whole 5 channels in my room.
  • edited December 2011
    NCV- the nation did go digital,but it was for transmission, not providing; as long as you were with a cable company (Comast, for example), you were fine.  If you had say rabbit ears, for an analog transmission, then it wouldn't work.  When I say digital here, I mean the type of cable you pay for (the one with on demand and such).

See, in order to make room on their network for things like HD, DVR, and Digital Cable (the one with On Demand), they often move channels from the regular setting to the digital setting- which means that while you are fine and with a cable company that complies with federal standards, you start to slowly lose channels if you have extended cable.

Well, apparently, Comcast was removing these channels (like Nick, Cartoon Network, HGTV, etc) and wasn't supposed to- people were paying for them, and they weren't delievering.  So they got in trouble with the government, who said they have to either switch the channels back (which would make offering things like HD and such hard), or figure out a way to get it back to regular customers. 

What they did is provide you with a box that restores those "digitized" channels, but it's no frills- we don't get the higher channels, no on demand or any of that stuff that digital cable offers.

I know, it's confusing- I only understand because I have a good friend who we asked about it all.  Just remember, Digital Transition and Digital Cable are not the same thing; it's a confusing use of the word Digital.
  • edited December 2011
    Exactly, Steffie, and now, apparently, you won't get any channels if you don't get that box.

Hey, it's free, and it fixes it.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have all that much invested in the situation, so I don't know that much info.  So less confusion and more ignorance/ lack of need to know I guess.  

I get this type of news from the knot generally.  It's not really on the BBC if you can believe.  
  • edited December 2011
    Shouldn't everyone already have these boxes by now, then? I would hope so at least considering how much they pushed them in the summer.
  • edited December 2011
    Apparently not- they called us last night and offered them to us again; they said they are calling all customers who have regular cable to make sure they have the alloted 2 boxes.
  • edited December 2011
    They actually did it in phases, so chances are Briar Rose was one of the last areas to convert and Steif was one of the first areas.  They began in Bucks/Montco and ended in Philly if that helps.  and Briar - that was a great explanation, you want a job?
  • edited December 2011
    Also - if you have HD, check out the 800's... Comcast added about 25 new HD channels this past month in most areas.  They are all there in the 800 channels.  You'd be surprised how many there are.  Lastly, most areas now have both caller ID on your TV if you have Digital Voice service AND they also just added the new remote DVR setting meaning you can program your DVR from the internet if you forgot to set it up to tape something. 
  • edited December 2011
    Oodsie, I would love a job right now, LOL.  You offering?
  • edited December 2011
    What I thought was so simple has turned out to be so damn confusing. I feel bad for the senior citizens!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_psa-comcast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:e7b8b81f-e6bb-4116-a938-86a24021fea2Post:537cd79b-5fe0-4fbb-8eda-de6ea5f60b23">Re: PSA: Comcast</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also - if you have HD, check out the 800's... Comcast added about 25 new HD channels this past month in most areas.  They are all there in the 800 channels.  You'd be surprised how many there are.  Lastly, most areas now have both caller ID on your TV if you have Digital Voice service AND they also just added the new remote DVR setting meaning you can program your DVR from the internet if you forgot to set it up to tape something. 
    Posted by ooodsie[/QUOTE]

I just discovered these channels about 2 weeks ago.  I have to admit, it really bothers me that they aren't with the rest of the channels.  I feel like I forget about them half the time.  Who wants to miss Snooki in HD??
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Briar - email me - kbrwedding@gmail.com
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had to do that in July.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • edited December 2011
    This happened to us before the holidays.

BTW, all the old HD channels are also in the 800s now, too.  So we forget about all the HD channels in the 200s and just start at 800 when we feel the urge to channel surf ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards