Wedding Reception Forum

Reception location?!

I am in the beginning stages of my wedding planning, and I am at a very difficult crossroad, our wedding higher is not very big and still have a lot of saving to do, but would like to get married next spring. I have been venue scouting but have only found one that is reasonable and within my price range. We also have a very close family friend who have offered their big backyard for the ceremony and reception.
My question is, are there brides out there with similar experiences? I don't know if it'll be worth it financially to build everything from scratch or if I should just go with a venu

Re: Reception location?!

• I have not had this experience, but keep in mind that the number one thing that is going to add to the cost of your wedding is the guest count. If you and your FI would rather get married in the venue you have found, then go with that, but keep your guest list down, DIY things if you can (and if it makes sense). 
  • i would look into the cost of rentals. sometimes tents, tables and chairs and linens can add up quickly, but you can save on food and drinks. having a venue you are paying per person and you get most stuff included like linens, bar, sometimes cake and centerpieces. i wanted to do an outdoor wedding but after comparing the costs it was more to do it outside and rent everything than it was to just hold it all at one venue. good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Reception location?!:[QUOTE]I am in the beginning stages of my wedding planning, and I am at a very difficult crossroad, our wedding higher is not very big and still have a lot of saving to do, but would like to get married next spring. I have been venue scouting but have only found one that is reasonable and within my price range. We also have a very close family friend who have offered their big backyard for the ceremony and reception.
    My question is, are there brides out there with similar experiences? I don't know if it'll be worth it financially to build everything from scratch or if I should just go with a venu Posted by deliaanessaenslin[/QUOTE]
    It depends on how many guests. I'm having about 100 guests and it was cheaper to rent a small hall, Than rent a party tent package, excluding porto johns. 500 for the party tent package 200 for 2 Porto johns and 425 for hall for 5 hours with bartender included. Plus I don't have to worry about weather or my yard being torn up. Is anyone in your immediate family including FI's family a member or the Vfw, American legion or knights of Columbus or ect? They give members discounts for renting their halls.
  • I am having anywhere between 180 and 200 guests at my wedding and have found that if I do everything individually that I am saving about 6000 dollars. The question is do I want all that stress, I am leaning towards having the reception at the friends house because that way I have more freedom to do exactly what I please, I just had to ask others advice. I know that no matter what this wedding will be a lot of work I just needed to hear other peoples opinions, thank you very much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards