Wedding Etiquette Forum

This makes me ragey.

Re: This makes me ragey.

• What about the kids who are color blind? Do they really give a crap what color their F is written in?  Tongue Out
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:2d17c978-d50b-4767-94dc-ad943b294397">Re:This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not to mention the fact that most colleges that I know of certainly don't follow this line of thinking at all. This doesn't prepare you for that. Not to mention grad school if they make it that far.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's me being paranoid, but I'm scared some colleges might start to go this way.  Parents already call professors to complain about their little angels' grades, and students can't understand why they can't have extra credit or re-tests in college.  It's already starting.
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess I'm not seeing why the color of the pen has anything to do with it.  If teachers are combating this anti-red pen thing with other colored pens, then apparently kids will just associate purple and green and blue or whatever with negativity too, right?  Before long we won't be correcting assignments at all.  I mean, who likes being told that they are wrong?  THAT IS EMOTIONALLY DAMAGING.  Of course 2+2=17, child.  Here.  Have a diploma.
    panther
  • LDY- that's the shiiit that makes me ragey.  Let's not correct your kid, but just get pissed off at the people who are bothered or annoyed by it.  

I'm having that issue with a friend of mine and it's getting ugly.  I've just kinda removed myself from the situation for a while.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:e83da462-b12c-480c-b15a-acc490e94e08">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like parents now a days aren't parenting like they should be. SIL took my nephew to the movies yesterday with H. My nephew had his feet on the chair of the person in front of him who kept turning around and putting her hand behind her and whatever trying to give him a subtle hint to move his feet - or, more likely, trying to give SIL a hint that her kid is being obnoxious without being confrontational.  While I think the woman should have said "hey, sweetie, you're kicking my chair" or whatever and not just been passive about it, <strong>SIL said she saw her looking back and whatever and told me she wanted to "f*ck that lady up - she needs to get the f*ck over it" and "If she had said something to my kid, I would have thrown down"</strong> Dude - your kid was being inconsiderate. You SAW that he was being inconsiderate. Tell him to move his feet.  Your kid does things wrong, accept it.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

jaw drop

She really got that upset?  To the point where that's what she wanted to say?  Ridiculous!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:427b918a-abe0-483e-a9fc-036143a0d5ca">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The parents are totally to blame as well, heaven forbid they have to get involved and help their child with his or her homework...or God forbid actually ask to look at it to make sure it's done properly or even done! They might miss the Bachelorette!
    Posted by mari0225[/QUOTE]

Not always the case.  My mom stays on my little brother every single day to get homework done.  He does it, she sees it herself.  Then he goes to school and doesn't turn it in.  He almost didn't graduate b/c of missed assignments.  When asked where they were, he opened his bag and pulled out stacks of completed assignments that he just didn't turn in.  Why you ask?  WE HAVE NO IDEA!  But the parent can sometimes only do so much. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:021322b2-7daf-4a8d-a7a0-9a077c04310e">Re:This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:This makes me ragey. : Maybe it's me being paranoid, but I'm scared some colleges might start to go this way.  Parents already call professors to complain about their little angels' grades, and students can't understand why they can't have extra credit or re-tests in college.  It's already starting.
    Posted by katehar01[/QUOTE]

I work with Professors, they are always calling about extensions, when they haven't submitted papers for conferences and etc by the deadline.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:453647ab-2eb3-46f6-87b9-d92083041925">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I'm not seeing why the color of the pen has anything to do with it.  If teachers are combating this anti-red pen thing with other colored pens, then apparently kids will just associate purple and green and blue or whatever with negativity too, right?  Before long we won't be correcting assignments at all.  I mean, who likes being told that they are wrong?  THAT IS EMOTIONALLY DAMAGING.  Of course 2+2=17, child.  Here.  Have a diploma.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

There was a study done somewhere that showed that green was a "friendlier" color. So a lot of teachers were all behind it and promoting it.  I heard about it for the first time at a teacher conference, oh, about 9 years ago?

• abbitha7abbitha7 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012

This pisses me off, because I teach remedial courses at a community college and I see students who are so underprepared that they can't even add fractions or write a complete sentence. How do these people pass out of high school?? Our education system is so messed up and focused on making people feel good instead of actually giving them the grades they earn. It's no surprise that we are behind other nations in education.

• The red ink thing is beyond ridiculous.  My last professor made notes on our papers in red ink, and while we teased him about how scary it was to get papers back completely smeared in red ink (granted, these were notes and thoughts, not really corrections since they were opinion papers), nobody seriously gave him shiiit about it. 

If you're too emotional to deal with red ink on your paper, you need help.  Sorry.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Well, SIL is Klassy with a capital K - but I've seen other parents say similar things. And H said something similar and I had to set him straight REAL quick. Thankfully, he qickly saw the error in his ways. Her trashy rubs off on him when they're around too much - yet another reason I'm thrilled we're moving. 

I just don't understand why everyone thinks their kid is perfect and can do no wrong...we weren't perfect, why would our kids be?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:364a5e1e-ba67-47cc-bcd1-7a86d95453eb">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me ragey. : Not always the case.  My mom stays on my little brother every single day to get homework done.  He does it, she sees it herself.  Then he goes to school and doesn't turn it in.  He almost didn't graduate b/c of missed assignments.  When asked where they were, he opened his bag and pulled out stacks of completed assignments that he just didn't turn in.  Why you ask?  WE HAVE NO IDEA!  But the parent can sometimes only do so much. 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree, my parents were on me all the time about homework but when it came to Math and Science I still almost failed. I turned in the work, but sometimes it wasn't right or on tests I would blank. So yeah I agree that parents can only do so much.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:364a5e1e-ba67-47cc-bcd1-7a86d95453eb">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me ragey. : Not always the case.  My mom stays on my little brother every single day to get homework done.  He does it, she sees it herself.  Then he goes to school and doesn't turn it in.  He almost didn't graduate b/c of missed assignments.  When asked where they were, he opened his bag and pulled out stacks of completed assignments that he just didn't turn in.  Why you ask?  WE HAVE NO IDEA!  But the parent can sometimes only do so much. 

I didn't realize we had the same brother. Seriously. He <em>did</em> get his act together enough to graduate without worry but it took several years. He still doesn't know why he didn't turn in the homework he completed. In college, he went for one year then lied about going the next semester. As in he didn't go but told everyone he was going. He still hasn't gone back or done anything to branch out in any form.
  • Abbitha, H is in some online classes right now at a for-profit college. I'm SHOCKED by some of the things I've seen on his chat board things. My jaw gets sore from dropping so much. I can only imagine what you've seen.

But...um...I probably can't add fractions either. I'm dumb at math. BAD.
  • I forget what country it is, somewhere in Africa.  A lady at my job has paid for an orphans schooling there.  The girl just did her exams for high school, if she didn't pass the exams she had to start ALL THE WAY back at the beginning of high school and do it over.  It's one exam, one chance to pass.  Period.  She passed and is now on to pursue a medical degree.  Ish is serious out there, American kids are entitled brats b/c of their parents.  Not all of them of course, but a lot. 

If you want equal playing time in sports, join a rec league.  If you want competitive, realize that you need to earn your spot on the team and then earn your playing time.  PERIOD. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:2d17c978-d50b-4767-94dc-ad943b294397">Re:This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not to mention the fact that most colleges that I know of certainly don't follow this line of thinking at all. This doesn't prepare you for that. Not to mention grad school if they make it that far.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. I was just making my syllabus for the fall semester and there are certain things we <em>have</em> to include about the grading policies, and it is the total opposite. You turn in something late, or not at all, you miss class, then too bad, pal, you don't get credit and there isn't crap you can do about it.

The papers students turned in last semester were testatment to what is acceptable for graduating HS these days. Basic grammar, syntax, sentence structure - there's very little of it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:f5d2f489-8958-460a-8d92-f6fdc4eb6635">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want equal playing time in sports, join a rec league.  If you want competitive, realize that you need to earn your spot on the team and then earn your playing time.  PERIOD. 

<div>Sooo much this.  I played sweeper on my soccer team in high school.  I was the Varsity starter from 10th grade on.  My junior year there was a senior who thought she was going to the get the position over me just because she was a senior, but she didn't.  So her fucking mom called the coach to b1tch about it.  And instead of telling her no, he made us dual sweepers and changed the whole fucking lineup to put her back there with me.  Are you fucking kidding me?  You don't trust her enough to have her back there alone, and you don't have the balls to tell her mom no.  Seriously, I'm still aggravated by this like 12 years later.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah that is how most of my classes were too Sesh. A few classes offered half credit if it was up to like 2 days late maybe. But now? You are steamrolled with a truck if you do your damn best on a final in law school. Kids who want extensions and extra credit would be laughed at.
  • Totally Beachy!!  That's how T was in high school.  He moved to a new school in 11th grade, he was the keeper.  The current keeper had just went to goalie camp and all of that but T was clearly better.  The dad biitched and moaned so they started the other guy the first few games with T only backing up towards the end of the game.  After a few loses they said F it and then put him in and won out the season. 

The kid wasn't the problem, it was the parent.  Now they're best friends b/c they know what it is, they know T was better.  The dad also got over it b/c we go to their house all the time and hang out with him, but yea, in high school it was touchy for them. 
  • I'm so glad I was home schooled growing up. But, I have no idea what we'll do with our children. My DH doesn't support homeschooling, and the schools near the house we own are some of the worst in the state.
  • Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:69091362-1a93-4c30-b2be-350feda2ec78">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Obviously someone out there thinks it's a good idea to do all of this though - who do you think it is? Just the NCLB thing? What about parents? Do you think they're to blame too?
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm sure it isn't NCLB.  I'm in Canada and there was a teacher who 30 years of experience a few provinces over who was suspended for giving zeros.</div><div>Link: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/alberta-teacher-suspended-for-giving-out-zeros-fears-colleague-will-be-punished-158927075.html">http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/alberta-teacher-suspended-for-giving-out-zeros-fears-colleague-will-be-punished-158927075.html</a> </div><div>
    </div><div>I just don't get this.  I'm not that far out of high school and when I was in Grade 10 somebody got a 7% (seven!) in Civics & Careers at the end of the semester.  If you don't hand anything in you get a zero, it's common sense.  Some people don't want to teach kids how to do poorly, which is why some areas never keep score and give you medals for participation.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also think this logic can be applied to schools with a GPA system that goes above the max (ie. a 4.3 for an A+ when 4.0 is the max GPA).  There is no point to that other than trying to make people feel smarter than they are and to make the school average sound better.</div>
  • Yeah it's ridiculous Stacks.  I understand wanting your kid to play, but it's fucking competitive sports, and if they aren't the best choice you need to accept that.  My mom still to this day is pissed off about it too when people bring up stories like it, but she would never call the coach about it.  

That's one thing I will be eternally grateful for with my parents.  They never fought our battles for us unless it got out of control.  Have a problem with your grade?  Go talk to your teacher about it.  Don't like something that was done?  Go talk to the person who did it.  Didn't get the starting spot?  Work harder and prove yourself in practices in games.  We learned how to do shiiit for ourselves and earned the respect of teachers, coaches and everyone else along the way.  We never thought our parents didn't have our back or weren't there for us, we knew they were preparing us for our adult life.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • High school sports. The things I have seen and heard from H's old job as a sports writer. It's insane. 99% of the time it's the parents who have the issues and it makes me feel so bad for the kids who are embarrassed about their parent's behavior.
  • In my school district you cannot assign anything lower than a 50% for the first two marking periods (this still makes me ragey after 14 years) ... Also I just learned that because of a lack of money there will be no Middle School summer school this year... so all of the 8th graders who failed classes will be passed on to high school.  WTF?????? I am so glad I am teaching juniors next year and not freshmen.  It's bad enough that they can't be penalized in the middle school for late work (they can hand it in the last day of the marking period and get full credit), so none of the middle school teachers bother assigning homework anymore.  So now we will get 9th graders who think they can fail and still graduate.  Ridiculous.
    Visit The Nest!
  • Junie- where in upstate NY are you?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:86cd4fe0-36a4-46e4-a7c3-6f0e93716862">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Junie- where in upstate NY are you?
    Posted by Beachy730[/QUOTE]

I live in Salem but I teach in the general troy area.  where are you?
    Visit The Nest!
  • I still will never forget when BIL told me how he found out after he graduated, that a class he thought he needed to pass to graduate actually could have been failed and he still could've been fine. But he was mad because dude "I totally would've failed it if I had known" ....I just don't get that mentality. And I hardcore judged him for it.
  • I live in VA now, I don't know why TK went back to my old location.  But I was from the Buffalo area.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:b10579de-9ab5-4e18-99f3-f6afcb565553">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]High school sports. The things I have seen and heard from H's old job as a sports writer. It's insane. 99% of the time it's the parents who have the issues and it makes me feel so bad for the kids who are embarrassed about their parent's behavior.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

In parts of Canada, they've stopped building small rec center hockey arenas with seating because parents were such a problem.  It's ridiculous that they have to remove the parents from the stands for the kids to play a freakin' sport.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • kcscejalkcscejal member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:c4a818ca-6e80-4c65-b4f0-f2a18ff3c145">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me ragey. : I'm sure it isn't NCLB.  I'm in Canada and there was a teacher who 30 years of experience a few provinces over who was suspended for giving zeros. Link:  <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/alberta-teacher-suspended-for-giving-out-zeros-fears-colleague-will-be-punished-158927075.html">http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/alberta-teacher-suspended-for-giving-out-zeros-fears-colleague-will-be-punished-158927075.html</a> I just don't get this.  I'm not that far out of high school and when I was in Grade 10 somebody got a 7% (seven!) in Civics & Careers at the end of the semester.  If you don't hand anything in you get a zero, it's common sense.  Some people don't want to teach kids how to do poorly, which is why some areas never keep score and give you medals for participation.<strong> I also think this logic can be applied to schools with a GPA system that goes above the max (ie. a 4.3 for an A+ when 4.0 is the max GPA).  There is no point to that other than trying to make people feel smarter than they are and to make the school average sound better.</strong>
    Posted by Bec20[/QUOTE]
    My highschool had a weighted GPA, and by it I had over a 4.0, but it was used only to determine class rank.  Our normal GPA was went on transcripts and stuff.  There was a list of harder classes that were weighted more, but it was to prevent someone who got straight As but never took any hard classes didn't beat out the person who took every AP class in class rank.  Is that not how most weighted GPA scales are?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards