North Carolina-Outer Banks

Another Wedding Expo Question

We are going down to the Expo on 1/18/13 and the last few vendor types I need are:

Bakery for wedding cake
Hair & Make-up
Equipment rentals

Are there bakeries at the expo and do they have samples of different types of cake you can try or would it be better to schedule tastings individually with those vendors?

As far as hair and makeup, how are you long-distance brides choosing a hair & make-up stylist? Will they do your hair and makeup at the expo? What do you all do as far as doing a hair and makeup trial?

Just trying to decide if I should try to do individual meetings with vendors that weekend if they're available or just hope I get enough time/info at the expo to make a decision.

Thanks!

Re: Another Wedding Expo Question

• I am going to the expo as well and coincidentally, I have the same 3 things left to check off my list!!  :-) 

I haven't attended before, however I did speak with my florist and she said there would not be enough time to meet with the vendors we have already booked, however she said it is a good time to meet them if you haven't already.  My fiance and I have planned everything from afar at this point so we are going to be meeting some of the people we have already booked for the first time.

Good luck with your hunt for the last 3 big things! 

• Just Desserts will be there. We just got back to Md. from NC and did a cake tasting with her this morning.....phenomenal!! Melinda's cakes are beautiful and taste fantastic. Samples of her cakes will be at various locations also.

I am trying to figure out the make-up and hair as well.

Ocean Atlantic Rentals will also have their showroom set up with various color themes ( we stopped in to see what we ordered already) and will also have a booth at the Expo.

I am hoping to find a florist while at the expo. Any ideas? Have a great time there! :)

• Some of the bakeries do have samples, but most don't have the different flavored you'd get if you scheduled a full cake tasting. If I haven't checked out the schedule for this year, but assuming it's like last year, if they have the open house on Saturday, the bakeries might be open and have more flavors to taste -- not sure because we made sure to schedule cake tastings at a different time to taste all the cake possible :) I found HotHeads while at the expo. I absolutely loved them and decided on the spot that I would get them to do my hair/make up. They pulled me into their booth and did an impromptu (free!) trial when i told them i was looking for hair/make up. Some of the other places do schedule trials during the expo and charge just like they would a regular hair trial that you'd schedule outside the expo. I visited a couple salons during the open house on Saturday but did not actual schedule any trials.
  • ashley2516ashley2516 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I haven't been to the expo but have been planning my June 2013 wedding for afar.

We decided to have our cake done by Icing on the Cake, the bakery portion of Argyle's catering.  We did a cake tasting with Debra and thought her cake was delicious, so they may be worth checking out.

As far as event rentals, I think I came across 3 different rental companies in that area-Ocean Atlantic, Metro Rental, and something like Distinctive Events Rental.  We're going with Metro simply because they were a little less expensive than Ocean Atlantic.  Plus they're having a 10% off special now if you place a 50% deposit.

For hair and makeup, I'm going with Bombshell's.  I've read all great reviews about Amber and her team, and I wanted someone who would travel to the beach house.  I'm obviously not going to have time for a trial with her, but I think I'm going to have a trial at home with my regular hairstylist and just take lots of pictures so that I can show Amber what I want.

Just a few suggestions on who you might want to check out while you're down there.  Have fun at the expo!
  • I had my hair and make-up done at the Sanderling, since we had our wedding there. We didn't go the expo because we had all our vendors picked out. I didn't have a hair or make-up trial, I did have my hair stylist at home do a trial of my hair to make sure it would work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_another-wedding-expo-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:134271da-dcd8-4c25-ac52-dd26eac7bfcdPost:bb42fe32-9f2d-489c-8b13-7abd19804008">Re: Another Wedding Expo Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going to the expo as well and coincidentally, I have the same 3 things left to check off my list!!  :-)  I haven't attended before, however I did speak with my florist and she said there would not be enough time to meet with the vendors we have already booked, however she said it is a good time to meet them if you haven't already.  My fiance and I have planned everything from afar at this point so we are going to be meeting some of the people we have already booked for the first time. Good luck with your hunt for the last 3 big things! 
    Posted by abardo[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>Oh, that's too funny! I was thinking of asking some of my vendors to meet with me if they have the time just so that we're not meeting for the 1st time on the big day! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_another-wedding-expo-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:134271da-dcd8-4c25-ac52-dd26eac7bfcdPost:3ec62cdf-44df-407a-bd05-c85749e6126e">Re: Another Wedding Expo Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just Desserts will be there. We just got back to Md. from NC and did a cake tasting with her this morning.....phenomenal!! Melinda's cakes are beautiful and taste fantastic. Samples of her cakes will be at various locations also. I am trying to figure out the make-up and hair as well. Ocean Atlantic Rentals will also have their showroom set up with various color themes ( we stopped in to see what we ordered already) and will also have a booth at the Expo. I am hoping to find a florist while at the expo. Any ideas? Have a great time there! :)
    Posted by saashirose[/QUOTE]

<div>My sister said Sugar Snap Events had really good reviews, so I may look into them. We def. still need rentals, just for tables and chairs. Not sure if we will do some sort of archway on the beach or anything. I will look into Just Desserts as well. How is their pricing? </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_another-wedding-expo-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:134271da-dcd8-4c25-ac52-dd26eac7bfcdPost:a2f336ec-b3e5-4288-994e-5a7e500f0ffa">Re: Another Wedding Expo Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some of the bakeries do have samples, but most don't have the different flavored you'd get if you scheduled a full cake tasting. If I haven't checked out the schedule for this year, but assuming it's like last year, if they have the open house on Saturday, the bakeries might be open and have more flavors to taste -- not sure because we made sure to schedule cake tastings at a different time to taste all the cake possible :) I found HotHeads while at the expo. I absolutely loved them and decided on the spot that I would get them to do my hair/make up. They pulled me into their booth and did an impromptu (free!) trial when i told them i was looking for hair/make up. Some of the other places do schedule trials during the expo and charge just like they would a regular hair trial that you'd schedule outside the expo. I visited a couple salons during the open house on Saturday but did not actual schedule any trials.
    Posted by littlemsmagic138[/QUOTE]<div>Okay, I will look into Hotheads as well. I've been interested in Bombshell Studio. They have great ratings and prices aren't bad. Prices for Hairoics (which also I've heard good things about) were much more. How is pricing for Hotheads?  

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_another-wedding-expo-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:134271da-dcd8-4c25-ac52-dd26eac7bfcdPost:0970ea71-abb7-4fc2-bbf9-a22d8fdf89e1">Re: Another Wedding Expo Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't been to the expo but have been planning my June 2013 wedding for afar. We decided to have our cake done by Icing on the Cake, the bakery portion of Argyle's catering.  We did a cake tasting with Debra and thought her cake was delicious, so they may be worth checking out. As far as event rentals, I think I came across 3 different rental companies in that area-Ocean Atlantic, Metro Rental, and something like Distinctive Events Rental.  We're going with Metro simply because they were a little less expensive than Ocean Atlantic.  Plus they're having a 10% off special now if you place a 50% deposit. For hair and makeup, I'm going with Bombshell's.  I've read all great reviews about Amber and her team, and I wanted someone who would travel to the beach house.  I'm obviously not going to have time for a trial with her, but I think I'm going to have a trial at home with my regular hairstylist and just take lots of pictures so that I can show Amber what I want. Just a few suggestions on who you might want to check out while you're down there.  Have fun at the expo!
    Posted by ashley2516[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, I was leaning towards Metro as well because I noticed they have better pricing, too! And I too am leaning towards Bombshell Studios as well. I emailed her yesterday and she said she is still available for my wedding date. I'm so nervous that I will get my heart set on vendors ahead of time only to find out at the expo that they are booked already. But if I book with them now, what's the point of going to the expo? lol. I was thinking maybe a day or 2 before my wedding I could do a trial with a hair salon (hopefully Amber from Bombshell!). My wedding is a Monday in May and our rental is from Sat-Sat. So maybe Sun I could go for a trial? I sent her some pics too of how I want it and she said lots of brides have done their hair like that, so I was glad. I kind of want a half up-do. Thanks for the input!</div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards