April 2013 Weddings

What's for lunch? What's for dinner?

I know most of us are eating healthy, or trying to... so what's for lunch and dinner?  We can give each other ideas.  I am sick of my food.

Lunch - Potato soup.  It's not as unhealthy as it sounds, it is Wolfgang Puck organic, natural, blah blah.. 170 calories and 20 carbs.  Not bad for potatoes.  That is per serving.  I will be eating the whole can, so double that :)

Dinner - I will make FI chicken and veggies.  I will have green olives, a Boca pretend chicken patty and veggies as well.

I am currently addicted to green olives and croutons.  I eat them like chips. :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker
110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
RSVP Deadline: February 28th

Re: What's for lunch? What's for dinner?

• I had leftovers for lunch and will be having the same thing for dinner.  It was a skinnytaste recipe.  Not sure if I would make it again though. 

• Yeah.. I'm eating a cupcake right now. It's lemon and delicious- a homemade one. YUM! But I have a sandwich and some celery for lunch, some chips and a soda too- more unhealthiness.

Tonight- no idea... I think hamburgers- but a healthier kind. and the gym!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ham and turkey on whole grain bread for lunch. There should have been some spinach leaves and American cheese on it but we're out and shopping day is Friday.

Dinner will probably be some soup, hopefully beef with country veggies. I managed (after weeks of being so careful not to get sick) to catch a cold so it's been nothing but soup for the past 2 or 3 days.
  • edited February 2013
    I've been on a cooking kick (I adore cooking anyway and with needing to eat healthy, I've been a bit intense about it), so we're doing leftovers pretty much all week until the freezer is at least a little cleaned out.

Lunch was italian egg drop soup: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/italian_egg_drop_soup.html (I'd recommend something besides arugula for the green. It's good but I feel that kale or spinach would be better)

Dinner is turkey meatloaf: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Turkey-Meatloaf-with-Mushrooms-and-Herbs-355229. Not sure on the side yet. Maybe whole wheat cous cous?

ETA: The turkey meatloaf says it feeds 4. We have NEVER had less than 8 portions from it. Given, we don't eat huge portions of meat, but it really makes a TON. Portioned that way, it's 165 calories for the meat, then, of course, whatever sides you have. Also, I add an extra 8 oz of mushrooms because they're yummy but that only adds like 6 calories per serving or something :P
  • Lunch this week is turkey and provolone on wheat bread, a banana and a cup of yoplait light.  Dinner this week is linguine and a marinara meat sauce.  Since I live alone and there's no FI to help me eat, I pretty much make something on Monday night and eat it all week.  It feels like college all over again but at least we will actually live together in 2 months, woohoo!  We're both very excited to expand our cooking horizons.  He's definitely the chef and I am definitely the baker, lol.
  • ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I made some homemade potato soup in the crock pot last night.  It filled my 6qt crock pot, so I'll be eating it for a while.  lol  I used light chicken stock, garlic, 3lbs potatoes, a sweet onion, a head of cabbage, and a bag of white beans.  I used light cream cheese and let FI have some crumbled bacon as a garnish.  Why not sneak in some protein and a veggie?  FI and dd didn't even know the difference.  They raved about how good it was.  LOL on them!

Tonight's dinner is pepper steak over brown rice.  Yum!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_whats-for-lunch-whats-for-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:f263bf30-f7d3-4425-b0f9-e826ada8a065Post:1288e46f-2795-4244-a647-8c75feeba0d6">Re: What's for lunch? What's for dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I made some homemade potato soup in the crock pot last night.  It filled my 6qt crock pot, so I'll be eating it for a while.  lol  I used light chicken stock, garlic, 3lbs potatoes, a sweet onion, a head of cabbage, and a bag of white beans.  I used light cream cheese and let FI have some crumbled bacon as a garnish.  Why not sneak in some protein and a veggie?  FI and dd didn't even know the difference.  They raved about how good it was.  LOL on them! Tonight's dinner is pepper steak over brown rice.  Yum!
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

<div>That sounds yummy!  Do you have to use a hand mixer  after cooking the soup in the crockpot? I am assuming you peel the potatos as well?  I love crock pot meals!</div>
  • ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    You can peel them, but the skin is where all the nutrients are and I like some texture, so I don't peel them.  Totally a matter of preference.  If you want the "recipe" (I cook by sight so this might be kind of off a bit)

3lbs russet potatoes, cut into chunks
    1 head cauliflower, cut into chunks
    1 (1 lb) bag dried white beans, soaked overnight and simmered on the stove for about an hour
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp. salt
    1 small sweet onion, chopped
    1.5 cartons of low sodium chicken broth (48oz each)
    1 brick cream cheese

Combime all ingredients except cream cheese in a 6 qu (or larger) crock pot.  Cook on high for 5 hours.  Add cream cheese and stir until it melts.  Blend with an immersion blender until you reach the consistency of your liking.  Adjust seasonings and top with chives, cheese, or crumbled bacon.

If you don't want to simmer the beans on the stove, you can add them in after soaking overnight.  You'll just have to keep an eye on the level of liquid, and you'll end up adding a lot more water or broth as they cook.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Thanks Chigirl!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards