North Carolina

How did you and your FI/DH meet?

Thought this might be a cool way for everyone to get to know each other a little better. I posted this on the September board and it was a hit. I'll go first:

I met my fiance(Brandon) at the library in college my sophomore year. It might have been the first time I stepped into the library on campus..lol. I thought he was so intelligent and he had so many goals that I was so impressed. Im a total dork apparently because I love a man with a plan and he had one and I fell for it.

Photobucket

Re: How did you and your FI/DH meet?

• edited December 2011
    I met my FI Jason thru my cousin John and his wife Crystal. It's actually a really funny story. Crystal had set her sister in law, my other cousin up on a blind date with my FI. She was too chicken to go by herself, so they decided to make it a group thing and we all went out to see a band play in Raleigh. When Jason got to Crystal and John's, I asked my cousin if she was going to go out there and say hello and she said no, she was scared (she totally reminded me of how girls were in middle school with guys, seriously) well since she wouldn't go say hi, I just went out and said hey to everyone and introduced myself. I thought Jason was so cute and loved his smile, and he apparently thought the same about me. Jason and I ended up having a little crush on each other after meeting that night and spent the whole night getting to know each other, even though he was techincally on a blind date with my cousin.

ETA: I had no desire to date anyone or be in a relationship when I met Jason, it took alot of asking on his part to even take me out on a date. I was fine with just being friends! And now we are getting married, and I couldn't imagine my life without him, sometimes life is crazy how things work out.
    Don't worry though, no hard feelings from my cuz, she didn't care either way. She spent the rest of the evening talking to one of their other friends and getting to know him... I guess we kind of just swapped dates? lol. Although I wasn't on a bind date to begin with, since it was a group thing.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Good question! I think I'll post this on my month board too.  Matt and I met in high school.  We were in the same band together all 4 years (nerd alert!), and we "knew of" each other since freshman year.  We became good friends sophomore/junior year and then he sort of become my best "guy friend".  We particularly hit it off when we sat next to each other in English class (junior year).  Eventually, we were both single (senior year) and TA-DA.....here we are! Six years later and happy as clams :) Oh and now we have doubles of all the yearbooks upstairs, which I think is hilarious.
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met FI (Jason) as a Freshman in college...I had an accounting class second semester and the seating was arranged in two-person tables.  I was always early to class and I was hoping that I would know someone and I didn't...and the now FI sat next to me.  We ended up having a good time chatting and had several other classes throughout the next few semesters that we used to sit next to each other and talk, cut up, etc.  I was in a relationship at the time. 

Fast forward 3 years later, single again, we started running into each other a lot all over town (Western Carolina Univ. and the surround area is small...its not exactly hard...lol) and we started actually hanging out a good bit and started dating...

Fast forward 4 more years...we're getting married just after our "dating anniversary" of 4 years.  Crazy what happens when you aren't looking =) 
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

• meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kevin and I went to the same middle school and high school. However, our circles of friends didn't really cross until sophomore year when we became friends because we were in a bunch of the same classes.  We started dating in our junior year of HS and continued through college.  Et voilà, here we are, married! :) 
  • TinyTRex321TinyTRex321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love reading how everyone met. It's so sweet that some of you have been with your FI/ DH since high school!

Matt and I met on Match.com. I winked at him and then he e-mailed. (Cheesy but true!) About a week later we went on our first date and have been together since. :)

ETA - the language Match uses "winked" is cheesy not meeting him online
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I have an "arranged marriage".  Our fathers were friends for years before we even met.  When I came back from studying abroad, FI's dad said to mine, "My son should meet your daughter" and mine said "ok, she'll do it."  They each gave us the other's phone number, and when FI called we talked on the phone for 3 hours. 

The funny part is that he didn't even want to go out with me, but his dad kind of forced him into it.  I think it worked out well in the end.
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Aww these are awesome to read!

DH and I met *drum roll* . . . via Craigslist. No Joke :o)
    A friend of mine had met someone on there and worked out for them, so they dared me to post something since I was constantly at school / work and when I did go out, it was just to do some salsa dancing and not meet guys at the bar (not my thing. . . I just like dancing :o) ).

So I posted a completely random post that had a few key points about myself and DH was one of the few that responded with a legit email ( it had depth and knowledge to it . . .not a "Hey lets meet and hook up" Email) So we emailed back and forth daily (around 5 emails a day) for about 3 weeks and then finally met.

It was weird how 'at ease' we were around each other and felt like we'd know the other for soo many years! I really liked the idea of getting to really know someone on the inside first and knowing their personality :o)

Worked for us and I'm totally for others that try. . just have to be safe about it!
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I also met online - match.com.  I had signed up while in law school with a friend -- when you only have 500 students int he school, it is hard to date any of them, and we didn't get away from school much! I went on some hilarious dates, but then FI "winked" at me.  We chatted online for a while before we ever went out.  We met at a restaurant in Greensboro -- I was twenty minutes late because I got lost and he called me thinking I was standing him up.  Dinner went great, and we kept going out.  Honestly, I don't exactly know when it turned more serious, I think we both just fell into it naturally.  Four years later, most of the time I don't even remember how we met, and when Ido think about it, I can't believe I haven't known him forever!
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love hearing these stories!

Ahh, FI and I... well, my first BFF at college, Sarah, knew FI (Jeremy) from high school, and I met him once freshman year when I went home with her to Chapel Hill. I thought he had a crush on Sarah so I didn't think of him as a "possibility." We didn't see each other for another 4 years and I rarely heard about him (other than that he was dating some crazy girl who wouldn't let him go see his family or something.)

Then, later freshman year Sarah set me up with FI's cousin whom she knew was at a nearby school. It was a disaster- I was bitchy, he was super quiet, we had nothing to talk about and it was just not meant to be. So I set cousin up with my roommate, my other besty, because I thought they might hit it off. Cut to right after college and they're getting married, FI's in the wedding party and voila!

I noticed FI at the wedding after one of the Jr. Groomsmen fainted in the heat during the vows- FI caught him, carried him outside, made sure he was okay and then came back in time for the end of the ceremony. I do love a man who can handle a crisis!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I were in class together.  The first one we had together was the only class either of us had in school where the Professor assigned seating.  We had our seats all worked out and one morning mid-semester the prof randomly moved me across the room to sit in a different seat.  She said "now, technically this seat belongs to someone else, but I don't think that person's coming back to class, so it's your seat now" The seat she moved me to happened to be the seat right in front of FI.  He never spoke to me that semester, and I didn't notice him because he was behind me.  The next semester we had an elective class together, totally random, and he said "hey, weren't you in my Accounting class last semester?" and I said "I don't know, what Accounting class were you in?"...and it went from there.

It was probably another 8 months before we were actually "dating".
  • edited December 2011

Three times is a Charm

FI and I had our very first encounter was in April of 1999, YES!!! It was that long ago, but of course then he and I didn't know or have interest in each other.  He was with someone else and I was the date of his friend to their Senior prom.  My fiancé/husband had turned to his friend while we were sitting down and said, "John, your date is cute."

Fast forwarding to about 6 years later -- Second, encounter in July of 2006, we met at a local party in Charlotte.  I had just gotten out of a long term relationship and so did he.  I was on a night of just going out to have a little fun and with no intention of meeting anyone.   A few hours into the night, he decides to introduce himself to me and offer to buy me a drink.  Of course, I had my best friend with me and said, we'll you'll have to buy her a drink as well because we like to roll in a pack =)   As the gentlemen, he does and the night continues of us dancing away and with a final question before leaving -- asked for my number and that he wanted to take me out on a movie date.  As I headed out, I said yes, I'm up for the movie but you'll have to come to Greensboro to pick me up.

To make a long story short, he came to Greensboro.  FI took my good friend/roommate and I out on a movie date (plus, I didn't tell him she was coming along but he was so nice and said ok).  We talked for a few weeks but it didn't go anywhere so it just kind of ended.  A year later in July of 2007, he found me on MySpace. Yes, of all places why there!!! 

We re-connected via myspace and exchanged numbers again.  His phony excuse was that he had lost his phone on a beach trip and wanted my number again.  I wasn't too thrilled with  his excuse but I gave it to him anyhow.   Two months later (August  2007), we hit it off and talked for about 5 months before I said for him to ask me out.  YES, I know so childish but how can you begin a relationship if you don't officially ask the question.  We became an official item as of January 1, 2008.

Extra fast forwarding -- January 24, 2009 we were engaged!

• janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ahh, all these stories are so very cute!!

Well, long story short, me and Kevin both attending Fort Mill schools together.  We even had seats beside each other in kindergarden.  we always had mutual friends and we were kinda friends too; very nice to each other, but never went out of our way to see the other.

fast forward to 2007, both of us had been engaged and had our heartbroken.  Ran into each other a concert and had our first kiss.  The rest is history!!  
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    OMG these stories are so awesome to read. I honestly can't believe im engaged. Im the first out of all my close friends to get engaged and I find that shocking. Somehow my FI puts up with my outrageous mood swings and nagging about cleaning..lol. Im just glad we all found someone who we can spend the rest of our lives with. Some people never find "the one" and its really sad. Ive enjoyed reading everyone's stories and I wish each and everyone of you a happy marriage! :)
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    I met my FI online.  I had met a few guys online and dated them for a short period of time but none of them "clicked".  I figured I'd try it again.  I actually joined a different site (neither me nor my fi can remember the name).  We emailed back and forth for a few days.  We then talked on the phone twice for a few hours each time.  Then we had our first date almost a week later.  I knew he was different right away.  
    We just clicked.  He's a single father with full custody of his now 15 year old daughter.  I met her on our second date.  I moved in with him about 3 months after we started dating and we got engaged after 7 months.
    I knew he was the one I wanted to marry and I'd been engaged twice before, both of those relationships were 7 and 8 years in length.  So I knew that I wanted in a husband.
    By the time we get married it will be almost  2 years after we go engaged so I don't feel we are rushing it at all.
    I just love him so much :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I went to the same middle & high schools. He was a year ahead of me but my best friend had a brother who was Josh's best friend. I knew who he was & I had always thought he was cute but I was way too shy to tell him. When I was in 8th grade another girl and I stayed over with Jessica & Josh stayed over with Wayne on the first day of our Christmas break. I had sort of a bf at the time but I thought Josh was super cute. We flirted a little bit & I told Jessica I thought he was cute & made her swear not to tell him. I didn't talk to my bf the whole 3 weeks & we broke up right after we got back to school from break. I had his number & screen name for a while but I was too shy to contact him. Finally in March Jessica set us up. I thought we would talk on the phone for a month or 2 then break up but we've been pretty much inseparable since then. We got married 9 years & 3 months after our dating anniversary.
  • edited December 2011
    Online on Okcupid.  I'd just gotten out of a really long relationship and was looking for new friends.  I emailed him because we had the same favorite author in common and he asked me to go to a movie with him.  I told him I wanted to wait and get to know him better.  A few weeks later, he and I were online at the same time and we got to talking and he convinced me to go grab a drink with him after work.  He thought it was a date and I thought it was just a chance at a new friendship, but regardless we hit it off from moment one.  That was October of 2008.  

In October of 2009,we moved in together and on July 3rd of this year, he proposed to me on the beach at sunset at his family's cottage at Lake Michigan.  We're hoping to get married by September 2011.   I'm glad I eventually agreed to go out with him.  Can't imagine spending the rest of my life without him.
  • ecupirate12ecupirate12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Such great stories!!

My BF and I don't remember meeting eachother but I know I was 5 years old and he was 6.  My family had just moved to NC from the Netherlands and his family was one of the first families we became friends with.  Both of our moms homeschooled and we grew up together doing homeschool group activities.  I never once thought of him as a relationship but we lost contact after we both went off to college.  Fast foward 4 years and my sister had just gotten out of a long term relationship and decided to go out with a guy as a rebound.  she didn't want to go alone and invited me to go with her.  We decided we would go to Carowinds but she didn't want there to be an odd number of people.  Turns out that the guy was good friends with my BF and invited him to come along.  So instead of my sister working things out with this other guy, BF and I hit it off and reconnected.  We've been together ever since and are looking to be engaged within the next year or so.  
  • ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a rough year in 2007 with the ending of a long term engagement and another relationship that was sorta rebound and going no where.  My cuz called me and we were planning on me staying with her the weekend her brother got married.  Well she said and I quote "I want you to meet your new boyfriend" (he was djing the wedding reception). I said I have a boyfriend.  Well that weekend came I met him we flirted a bit-nothing major.  That night we stayed up and watched "We are Marshall" while everyone else went to bed.  He loved ECU and his dad went there.  He was moving to Greenville to take on a new job.  Being the extra friendly person I am I went over to his place-showed him around town-he hit it off with my guy roommate and they were friends. Fast forward a year we are living together with our furry children (cat and dog) and engaged.

I joke at how my cuz knows me so well.
  • edited December 2011
    We met through our first job!  It was my first day of work (ever) --in the summer time after my sophomore year in HS.  He just happen to come by to see his friends after graduation (from HS) and I was there.  I was all nerves and he was so laid back.  I don't think we even said a word to each other...I just remember the manager telling him I was the new girl and he just looked at me.  Well, after about 2 weeks of working with him, I found out he was trying to date this other girl at work, but she kept giving him the cold shoulder, so I offered to hook him up with my best friend.  Well, I had her come by one day to meet him, and she said, "OMG, I already know him.....We have been going to church together ever since I was born."  Well, neither one of them were really into each other.  So, that didn't work out.  The manager accidently told me that Billy (my FI) actually really liked me alot and wanted to ask me out, but he didn't think I would date him.  So, my manager asked us both to go to a local waterpark with him and his family.  We went and the rest is history.  We have been together ever since then....that was 11 years ago... and now it is TIME TO GET MARRIED!!!  LOL! 

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_did-fidh-meet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:bf969a5b-7a60-419a-85d5-f303597f7bf3Post:a6492869-7c33-460c-8432-97a8c0549642">Re: How did you and your FI/DH meet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, my manager asked us both to go to a local waterpark with him and his family. Posted by GirlieGirl27320[/QUOTE]

I have some good friends who met at work, and their manager hooked them up.  So cute.
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I met my last semester in college.  He was a year behind me.  We had 2 classes together that semester: photography and the statistics of baseball.  We first met in baseball stats class.  We were sitting at the same table and both knew the rest of the kids at the table. So we all talked.  One the first day, the teacher asked all the seniors why they would taking a stats class their last semester.  I said that I loved baseball and was interviewing for a job in baseball so it might be a good idea to freshen up my knowledge of stats.  Apparently at that moment FI knew I was the girl he was going to marry.  We started dating about a month later and now here we are.
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I met our freshman year of high school and had mutual friends.  I dated other guys and we were always friendly, but I never considered dating him until our junior year, and now I wonder why I waited so long!  We went to the same college and then I left for grad school in Austin, TX, knowing it was a make-or-break move.  Well the move was what made me realize that he was it for me, and 7.5 years from when we got together we're FINALLY planning the wedding!  We've basically grown up together, and I can't wait to get out of Texas and back home to him :)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    The first time DH and I saw each other was the first day of marching band practice my sophmore year, his freshman year, of high school.  He claims it was love at first sight...I remember turning to my friend and saying "Who the heck is the tall dorky guy next to the short guy, that keeps staring at me!?"  Turns out my friend knew the tall dorky guy and introduced us.  We dated for about 2 weeks my sophmore year and then broke up because of the usual high school drama.  Then my junior year of high school, we starting dating again.  About 7 years later I married that tall dorky guy! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Wow.  Hate I wasn't on the Knot when this first came out!  So, my story is similar to FutureMrsFraser's in that FI was being set up with one of my good friends.  A bunch of co-workers were meeting up to hang out at the Breakfast Club.  My FI worked with DH of a co-worker and I walked in with the good friend he was to be set-up with.  They didn't hit it off but he and I spent the entire night dancing together.  We are getting married 3 years after we first met!

I tried setting up my good friend with one of my guy friends and they dated for a while but nothing worked out.

Sidenote: My Grandfather went to "court" my Great Aunt before meeting my Grandmother and deciding she was the one he'd rather date.  My father and another frat brother got stood up on a double blind date so my Mom's roommate told him to call my mom to go to the dance.  It was fate that FI and I would have a similar story!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_did-fidh-meet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:bf969a5b-7a60-419a-85d5-f303597f7bf3Post:18f16afb-f793-4b0e-a3a4-cbd9a0add0aa">Re: How did you and your FI/DH meet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  Hate I wasn't on the Knot when this first came out!  So, my story is similar to FutureMrsFraser's in that FI was being set up with one of my good friends.  A bunch of co-workers were meeting up to hang out at the Breakfast Club.  My FI worked with DH of a co-worker and I walked in with the good friend he was to be set-up with.  They didn't hit it off but he and I spent the entire night dancing together.  We are getting married 3 years after we first met! I tried setting up my good friend with one of my guy friends and they dated for a while but nothing worked out. Sidenote:<strong> My Grandfather went to "court" my Great Aunt before meeting my Grandmother and deciding she was the one he'd rather date.</strong>  My father and another frat brother got stood up on a double blind date so my Mom's roommate told him to call my mom to go to the dance.  It was fate that FI and I would have a similar story!
    Posted by elizabethb3511[/QUOTE]

Same thing with my grandparents! My grandmother wasn't allowed to date, but her older sister was, and my grandpa went over to "court" her and met my grandma. He said he continued to date my great aunt for another month or so until my grandma became of age (dating age, not 18, gma was 17 when she married my gpa) so he could ask her out! lol.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My friend Rachel wanted to bring me to her brother's friend's(Erik/FI) party but wanted Erik to meet me first so he wouldn't have some random girl showing up. Rachel brought me to Erik's work and it wasn't exactly love at first site but we all started hanging out as a group and about a week later Erik and I started dating. I owe Rachel my life for introducing us :]
  • edited December 2011
    I met my FI Duane in high school..lol...and I didnt really care for him much at first! We knew each other because his best friend and my best friend are brother and sister..lol..But, we were friends for a year or so and during senior year, we really got a chance to hang out together. He was so sweet and kindhearted and he had a plan too!..lol..We've been together ever since and I couldn't be more in love with him!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards