Chit Chat

Annoyed.. NWR

I keep having people post things on facebook regarding people on unemployment and how they are slackers and "should go work at McDonald's" and stop sucking off of working people/government. I know none of these posts are directed at me as a person, but being unemployed for the first time since I was 16 years old (NOT by my choice) and have been desperately searching for a job in my field for the last 5 months has NOT been easy. I've even broadened my search to outside of social work, and still nothing.

I think the fact that this unemployment is happening right before my wedding and everyone is assuming I'm not taking a job so I can be a housewife is making this much worse (I'm not just assuming this, its been said to me). I'm just annoyed and have new sympathy for the people who are unemployed and looking for work.

Vent over.

Re: Annoyed.. NWR

• Yea. People suck. Sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No,its  more distant friends on FB are posting and its family and close friends that are commenting about being able to just stay at home and have children right away.
  • I'm trying not to. It's just frustrating
  • I've looked at temp agencies around us, but I haven't been placed anywhere. It's rough around us.
  • I feel your pain.  I was laid off in August 2009.  I made the choice to start over in Philadelphia (because DH's job requires him to be on the east coast and I didn't want him flying back and forth for the next thirty years), turned down partnership track offers at two rival firms in Cleveland who wanted me, packed my bags and moved.  While sitting for the PA bar exam, I sold curtains and home decor to pay my student loans.  I eventually took support positions at firms just to get a foot in the door.  I'm finally at a place where I'm still doing support work but I'm also working as an attorney again.  It was the longest hardest road I've ever travelled professionally and I hope the worst is behind.  A professor at Penn that I met describes the legal job market as quicksand right now.  Not just soft.  Quicksand.  I think it's like that for most professions today.

Ignore the ignorance of others.  There's nothing you can really do unless you want to tell them off and then you make it personal about you.  People who have never worked them don't understand how little service jobs pay.  (I was making $9/hr part time - you cannot live on that).  One of the good things that came out of that job though (aside from friends) was that it gave me something to put in a cover letter to explain the gap in employment. 

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I understand too!  FI was unemployed for almost a year and a half before he found a job that would work with his physical disability.  He is starting Monday.  My family made comments about it all the time that he wasn't trying hard enough and so on.  I think you just gotta keep trying and try to not let it get to you.  I hope things get better!
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can definitely understand. I figured with a college degree I could find a somewhat decent job right? Totally wrong. I went back to my high school job at a fast food place for a while. I did find a full time job but I got fired because unfortunately I got super sick right after I started (seriously, one thing after another). I ended up getting a job at a retail clothing store but it definitely wasn't enough. I now have a job I love at a great company, but it's only part time. Small steps I guess..

It does bother me some when people say that kind of stuff. Some people were lucky and found great jobs in their field (one of my friends works for the treasury department and she LOVES it, not to mention it pays VERY well). Not everyone is that lucky. It sucks to be in this situation, especially with the economy the way it is. Some people are fortunate enough to not really understand it. But I try to let it go and remind myself that I'm making progress, and someday I will be full time at this job. All I can do right now is work my butt off to prove myself and keep my ears open for full time openings once I'm eligible to move. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • kaceymariekaceymarie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_annoyed-nwr-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fd67ab04-7da0-4112-9c95-e9032df64fd6Post:dc96b488-2223-47af-b6a9-9b61e34ee7d8">Re: Annoyed.. NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]No,its  more distant friends on FB are posting and its family and close friends that are commenting about being able to just stay at home and have children right away.
    Posted by Lolagirl2012[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>hmm i never got why people thought being a housewife and stay at home mom were so bad. it used to be the norm in they day but now people think opposite.</div><div>
    </div><div>either way i don't think it makes you less of a person to not have a job/be a housewife/stay at home mom.</div><div>
    </div><div>good luck with your job search. jobs may be slim now to come by but you'll get one eventually. :)</div>
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_annoyed-nwr-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fd67ab04-7da0-4112-9c95-e9032df64fd6Post:5448b427-c374-46e2-a901-5cd6c4796f12">Re: Annoyed.. NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Annoyed.. NWR : <strong> hmm i never got why people thought being a housewife and stay at home mom were so bad.</strong> it used to be the norm in they day but now people think opposite. either way i don't think it makes you less of a person to not have a job/be a housewife/stay at home mom. good luck with your job search. jobs may be slim now to come by but you'll get one eventually. :)
    Posted by kaceymarie[/QUOTE]

It's a personal choice.  I have no desire to be a stay at home mom or housewife.  My mental health suffers when I'm not working.  So if I lost my job and then people were saying "Oh yeah, you'll just be a housewife!" it would bother me too.  You might not think it makes someone less of a person, but it might be a terrible option for someone.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_annoyed-nwr-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fd67ab04-7da0-4112-9c95-e9032df64fd6Post:c496c72e-3010-467e-bd16-a2f6d9e7a528">Re: Annoyed.. NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Annoyed.. NWR : It's a personal choice.  I have no desire to be a stay at home mom or housewife.  My mental health suffers when I'm not working.  So if I lost my job and then people were saying "Oh yeah, you'll just be a housewife!" it would bother me too.  You might not think it makes someone less of a person, but it might be a terrible option for someone.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>i know that. :) but people need to realize some people are just able to do it & if they don't like it then don't say anything like that.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_annoyed-nwr-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:fd67ab04-7da0-4112-9c95-e9032df64fd6Post:0e0e0a3f-f6ce-487f-af51-fe8c41073385">Re: Annoyed.. NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can definitely understand. I figured with a college degree I could find a somewhat decent job right? Totally wrong. I went back to my high school job at a fast food place for a while. I did find a full time job but I got fired because unfortunately I got super sick right after I started (seriously, one thing after another). I ended up getting a job at a retail clothing store but it definitely wasn't enough. I now have a job I love at a great company, but it's only part time. Small steps I guess.. It does bother me some when people say that kind of stuff<strong>. Some people were lucky and found great jobs in their field (one of my friends works for the treasury department and she LOVES it, not to mention it pays VERY well). Not everyone is that lucky.</strong> It sucks to be in this situation, especially with the economy the way it is. Some people are fortunate enough to not really understand it. But I try to let it go and remind myself that I'm making progress, and someday I will be full time at this job. All I can do right now is work my butt off to prove myself and keep my ears open for full time openings once I'm eligible to move. Good luck!
    Posted by jennipea382[/QUOTE]

I hate when people says this too.  I wasn't "lucky" that I found a job in my field.  I worked damn hard to get it. 
  • Sorry this is happening to you. Just try to ignore them and contine your search for employment, the right job will come along eventually :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_annoyed-nwr-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fd67ab04-7da0-4112-9c95-e9032df64fd6Post:adc5b6f0-2f75-4f44-a9be-52f43cc9353b">Re: Annoyed.. NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Annoyed.. NWR : I hate when people says this too.  I wasn't "lucky" that I found a job in my field.  I worked damn hard to get it. 
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

Maybe fortunate is a better word than lucky? I do think there is a certain amount of luck that goes into finding a job you love and that is in your field. It doesn't diminish the hard work you put into getting your job.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_annoyed-nwr-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fd67ab04-7da0-4112-9c95-e9032df64fd6Post:c496c72e-3010-467e-bd16-a2f6d9e7a528">Re: Annoyed.. NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Annoyed.. NWR : It's a personal choice.  I have no desire to be a stay at home mom or housewife.  My mental health suffers when I'm not working.  So if I lost my job and then people were saying "Oh yeah, you'll just be a housewife!" it would bother me too.  You might not think it makes someone less of a person, but it might be a terrible option for someone.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

This!

My FI and I have discussed that for my mental health I will need to work at least part time when we have children. My mother worked part-time and she has always said she was glad to be home when she was, but she was a much more well-rounded mother because she had work to go to.

Thanks everyone, I am glad I'm not the only one.
  • edited July 2012
    I can totally relate to what you're going through. It took me almost 2 years to find a job (although I wasn't technically "looking" the whole time since I did go back to school for a little while). I sent out so many resumes that I never got a response on. In the end I got very lucky, there was an opening where my friend works and she put in a good word for me. I've been working for a month now and I really think that, without her help, I might still be looking! My boyfriend's brother is also going through the same thing & he's a lawyer! He's been unemployed for over 2 years, his unemployment benefits are WAY over, and he's had NO luck. This economy is a nightmare, no matter what bullsh*t the politicians and/or media try to say. Best of luck to you in finding a job soon!  *hugs*
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards