Not Engaged Yet

Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room

So I am moving into a new apartment, and I am trying to decide what color to paint my bedroom.  I really want to paint it some shade of blue, because I slept in very neutral colored rooms for the past 5 years or so.  I'm having a blue period or something, I don't know.

Anyway, I've kind of narrowed it down to three colors at Benjamin Moore (best deal I've found and I have to drop off paints tomorrow to the apt manager's office), but everyone likes something diiferent!  BF likes one, family likes another, so I figured I'd see if you guys could point out something different that could tip things one way or another.

My new bedroom will get a decent amount of light during the spring and summer, but it needs to work in bright light and very little light.

So without further ado, the links:

Made a poll for convenience, and feel free to vote "why the sh*t are you painting your room blue?!?"

Re: Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room

• They'll all work. They are all pretty blues.

p.s. I TOTALLY associate this type of blue with you. Must be your avatar?
  • I chose I love polls because I cant tell the difference between 1 and 3 at all. Note I do have some issues with shades despite being a female. Its not full blown color blind but things that are only 1-2 shades off ruin me every time.

I also feel the dark one would be just too much for me in a room bigger than a small bathroom. I however lean towards rich earthy tones and gem tones like taupe, olive green, eggplant, and maroon.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-paint-deciding-on-a-blue-for-my-room?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:35fb6668-63b9-4a15-8938-3b68064dc3b0Post:b7fd3862-c6f0-46bf-8aff-804cb0462b10">Re: Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room</a>:
    [QUOTE]They'll all work. They are all pretty blues. p.s. I TOTALLY associate this type of blue with you. Must be your avatar?
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahahaha I didn't even think of it like that!  Awesome.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm kind of leaning away from the darker blue.  As the other poster commented, it'd take a lot more light to brighten up and I'd like it to be as naturally light as possible while still maintaining a bold/bright vibe.</div>
  • I liked #3 as well.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-paint-deciding-on-a-blue-for-my-room?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:35fb6668-63b9-4a15-8938-3b68064dc3b0Post:0493fb98-50d1-413a-b30d-2a08bc94a72a">Re: Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need information on your furniture before making a decision.
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. I need to know your style, and if there's any certain decoration that absolutely has to be in your room.

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    I'm not crazy about any of them, actually.  They all say "baby boy nursery" to me.  I'm a big fan of blue...  just not those blues.

What about a darker, grayer blue?  http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/yinyang

Just my opinion.
  • I picked none of the above because I have a better option:
    Behr Rain Washed.  It's in my bedroom (well, my old bedroom in the house I still own but don't live in but still stay there like 4 nights a month because my schedule/life is too complicated)  I love it in there. 
  • Thanks Elle, I didn't even consider the nursery connection! I was going for more of a beach / blue skies feel, so your association is good to mull around. And at first I thought a grayish blue would be too dark, but... ...Meg, that color rocks!!! I might need to expand my selections and look at that family. I don't have tons of furniture that requires a certain color: have a large trunk from Oman that has very dark wood and gold detailing, very AfroArab traditional feel. I may be overthinking all this, but this is my new place for at least the next year, so thank you all for your comments!!
  • I love Meg's option.  I also love Elle's option...
  • I ended up going with Elle's darker blue, the Yin Yang.  It was the across the board favorite for eveyone (including BF which I was surprised about).

Rain Washed is soooo going on the super short list for kitchen/dining room color!!

Thanks again, NEY, you guys are great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards