California-Bay Area

XPish Crazy?

Hi girls.

This is for all you ladies in San Fransico.  I have a question for you. I am newly engaged and FI and I were thinking about having our wedding the last week of May, like the 27th of May.  All was fine and dandy until I realized that the date is Memorial day weekend.... Am I crazy to A, try and plan a wedding on a Holiday and B, plan it in San Fransico?

Thoughts? 
"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

Re: XPish Crazy?

• theKylieBridetheKylieBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not crazy. Just jump on it. NOW! That's a huge day to get married because it's easier for out of towners to make a wedding. And they can turn in into a mini vacation. Two things to nail down instantly venue and photographer. We were going to go with memorial day weekend, but had to change it. I know our photographers were available and we love them dearly (www.jennandtravis.com). But I think the end of May is the PERFECT time to get married! 

Can't wait to see it come together! 
  • edited December 2011
    Totally doable. I'll wave at your guests arriving in SF as I depart SF for my cousin's destination wedding that same weekend.
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ok thanks girls.  I feel better.  I was getting kind of worried.  Will traffic be bad that weekend?  Like I would be having the ceremony and the reception in two different paces...:/  What do you think?
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    You'll have holiday weekend traffic. I don't know of any Bay Area events Memorial Day weekend. That's not Bay to Breakers for Fleet Week or the other biggies. They've been doing stuff with the bridges Memorial Day weekend for the past couple years.

I wouldn't worry about general area traffic. Grown-ups should plan around that, and you can't really anticipate the particulars. One accident can screw up traffic, no matter how well everything's planned and double-checked. [I once watched a bride be 30 min. late for her wedding on a non-holiday weekend because of an accident on the highway. Sometimes, there's just nothing you can do.] Make sure the route between your ceremony and reception locations doesn't have an event on it or major road work, and do the same for the immediate vicinities of the locations.

I was once invited to something like a wedding at a church where there was a marathon on the same road as the church that day. Highway exits were shut down around the church, too. I didn't mind the hassle. I did mind the lack of notice. If there is a special event or roadwork, put a note on your invitations and provide directions around it.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! You have been very helpful!  I will make sure there is nothing going on that day!

Married! May 27th, 2012

• bethcarriebethcarrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're not crazy!  Holiday weekends are often a convenient time for guests to travel, since they get an extra day off work.  Just try to grab a venue as quickly as you can- some popular Bay Area spots book up far in advance.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi Raven!

My only concern would be the bridges, since the Bay Bridge has been closed over Memorial Day weekend the last couple years, as Elisabeth said. Otherwise, it's not a crazy idea at all.

I wouldn't worry about place to place within SF. Just allow for adequate travel time.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-bay-area_xpish-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:602Discussion:25426a71-5c8b-4331-a9a4-dd180abeb354Post:f84aa217-b3a3-4f8a-bcdf-544f6783e1b8">Re: XPish Crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Raven! <strong>My only concern would be the bridges, since the Bay Bridge has been closed over Memorial Day weekend the last couple years</strong>, as Elisabeth said. Otherwise, it's not a crazy idea at all. I wouldn't worry about place to place within SF. Just allow for adequate travel time.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]
    I must have missed that... So how does one get to the city?

Married! May 27th, 2012

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Well, hopefully it won't be closed, because 80 is the easiest way to SF from your area. If for some reason it's closed, people from Sac and vicinity would need to take either highway 37 around San Pablo bay and then the Golden Gate or the Richmond-San Rafael bridge and then the Golden Gate bridge.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-bay-area_xpish-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:602Discussion:25426a71-5c8b-4331-a9a4-dd180abeb354Post:98051185-292c-49b6-a373-2f8764f564d6">Re: XPish Crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, hopefully it won't be closed, because 80 is the easiest way to SF from your area. If for some reason it's closed, people from Sac and vicinity would need to take either highway 37 around San Pablo bay and then the Golden Gate or the Richmond-San Rafael bridge and then the Golden Gate bridge.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

That would be terrible.  Do you if there is a website where I could look it up?

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    You can also encourage guests to use a hotel in SF so that they wouldn't be crossing the bridge that day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards