Getting in Shape

Workout to maintain an hourglass shape?

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if you ladies could recommend some workouts for an hourglass shape? I could stand to lose a few (like everyone, i know!!) but i really want to focus on toning more so than dropping a lot of pounds. I want to tone arms/back, waist, bootie and thighs, but try not lose too many inches on the bust or hips. (I lose weight in the boobs first, sad)

Re: Workout to maintain an hourglass shape?

• The way you lose weight is based on genetics, not the way you work out.  If you do cardio and focus on fat loss, you will lose it from wherever your body wants to lose it.  Unfortunately there aren't different workouts for different parts of the body to trim the fat.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_workout-maintain-hourglass-shape?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:4be286d2-5e2e-4258-89ef-3442b12ebfe0Post:980524b6-0a2d-4d1c-98ee-442038e11a81">Re: Workout to maintain an hourglass shape?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The way you lose weight is based on genetics, not the way you work out.  If you do cardio and focus on fat loss, you will lose it from wherever your body wants to lose it.  <strong>Unfortunately there aren't different workouts for different parts of the body to trim the fat.
    </strong>Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

That's not 100% true. There are workouts designed to trim the fat from certain areas, it's just that they don't work. :-)

Unfortunately, you have no control over where you lose the weight from. If you know you lose from your chest first, this time will likely be no exception, regardless of what workout you do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It sounds like you may want to focus more on lifting than cardio, if you want toning.  Squats and lunges are fantastic for toning your things and booty, and free weights are your best bet for arms and back.  Like PPs said, if you normally lose weight first from your chest, it will probably be the same way this time.  Running is also really good for your lower body, hiking, too.
  • Once a pear, always a pear, just as once an hourglass, always an hourglass.  As joesgirl pointed out, how we lose/gain weight is very much dependent on genetics.

You can work to increase the size of your muscles in certain areas, but spot reducing fat just aint ever gonna happen.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lose weight in my breasts, too!  Stomach always, always last.  Damn you, genes!  Maybe try a "targeted" class or video to best focus your workout time on toning the areas in which you most want to see a difference.  I try to do a Total Core or Butts-and-Guts class each weekend, in addition to my regular workouts, and it has helped some.   

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • A good overall workout with light weights is Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones. It's about 50 minutes long, and it's a total-body workout. Another good one from her is the 30 Day Shred. It's about 20 minutes long. Good stuff.
  • Ditto to what everyone else said.  Your genetics determine your body fat distribution. I can personally attest to that- I have the same silhouette/proportion, no matter my weight.  It happens to be hourglass--it was there when I was skinny, stayed when I gained weight, and is still here as I'm losing weight.  But getting in shape makes me look more lean for my shape, which is why I do it.  Personally, I'd rather look fit than stay at my old weight to maintain my DD cup size.  The boobs didn't make me THAT happy lol  There's always push up bras lol
  • I also have an hourglass shape regardless of what weight I'm at, though  occassionally I'll lose weight from certain areas first. It's promoted on this board a lot, but I really like the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Another good one is P90X. I'm personally doing new rules, and I love it. It works your entire body, and really gets results. Don't be afraid of the heavy weights, girls (with very few exceptions) can't bulk up without steroids. They just make you look good :).
  • Thanks for all the suggestions!!!! I know it was kind of a weird question, but it's always worth asking right?!? Good luck to everyone! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards