Honeymoon Discussions

Costa Rica Trip - Need Help Planning!

Hi everyone!  We're interested in going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon in April, so I've been researching a little bit about it lately but I'm wondering if anyone could offer me some advice?  Here is what I have in mind for the trip:  I would like to stay in a volcano region for the first 2 or 3 days of the trip.  It would be nice to find a package that includes our meals and tours, definitely would like to do a hot springs tour here (I would also like to find a hotel where you have an outdoor shower on your own private patio).  Then I would like to go and stay at an all inclusive resort for the rest of the week on a coastline.  It would be nice to find a package that includes all of our meals and all of our drinks (I would also like to find a hotel where you have your own private bungalow).  We would also like to look into going deep sea fisihing on our last day there.  In my research, I found that it might make sense to could fly into Liberia, stay in the Arenal volcano area & then travel to and stay in the Papagayo area. 

Do the areas that I mentioned above make sense or are there better locations that I should be looking into (I don't really want to have a drive of over 3 hours at any point during the trip)?  How would we get around while we're there (airport transportation and transportation between resorts)?  Do you suggest me booking everything separately on my own, or going through a travel company who could arrange our entire week?  If so, which company?  Does anybody think we could do this type of vacation for under $5K?  Any other input you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Re: Costa Rica Trip - Need Help Planning!

• edited August 2010
    take a look at this package: www.generaltours.com/tour/?tid=74. you can add additional nights, and include transfers from teh airport. It's the package i was going to do originally, but i've decided to do Arenal and Manuel Antonio instead!

• You can absolutely do that for under $5000! I booked through Absolutely Costa Rica and they were great-- they put the package together specificallt for us. I don't know about all inclusive packages like you are mentioning but possibly some of the bigger resort hotels on the coast would have that. Most TAs will be able to arrange transportation for you. Ours did, and they even arranged for a rental car to meet us at a certain restaurant where our tour was stopping to save a few hours of driving (I don't recommend driving yourself, however, unless you are very adventurous).

As far as hot springs in Arenal, Tabacon is the fanciest and nicest, or so I'm told since we didn't pony up the $$ to go in. We went to the Baldi hot springs which were fine, but on my honeymoon, I'd probably spring for the nicer ones. Many hotels in the area have their own hot springs but it's worth the price of admission for one just to experience it.
  • I did your exact itinerary last November.

Except we flew into San Jose, rented a car and drove up to the Arenal/La Fortuna Area.  We stayed in a great place with amazing volcano views and in our own little bugalow/villa.  After 2 nights we drove to the Papagayo area and stayed at an all-inclusive resort and took day trips to CoCo Cheach, Tamarindo and did a sunset sail (highly recommended)!

Feel free to email me if you need any help.  I LOVED Costa Rica!
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."
  • We were originally going to fly to San Jose, bus/rent a car up to Arenal, spend 2-3 days there then cruise down to Manuel Antonio for the remainder of our time. That was what my parents did a few years ago and they loved it!!

We however, have opted to just go to Manuel Antonio and spend all of our time there zip-lining and hanging out! We're staying at Si Como No, I can't review it yet but I've heard really good things and we got the honeymoon package. Although not ALL meals are included most are! We're excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards