September 2012 Weddings

Guest at Wedding

Just sat down with my future Mother-In-Law and went over their side of the guest list.  

She said that we needed to invite my future -sister-in-law's future parents.  I've met my future sister-in-law's boyfriends parents once before.  Both my fiance and I don't see why we need to have them at our wedding. 

Is it etiquette to have my future sister-in-law's future parents come, as they will be part of our extended family (in the near but distant future).

Please send advise. 

Thanks. 

Re: Guest at Wedding

• UM NO!!! WHY?? I say no for a few reasons:

1 -  This is your wedding so only the people you know should be invited.  Not the potential future FSIL future parents.  That's too much.

2 - You have think if you do invite them who are you "cutting" from the list that you'd rather really invite.

3 - Cost - are they going to tip you over or close to your total guest number from the people you actually want to invite or can you afford to invite anyone you want and not worry about budget.

4 - Until it's official, I don't see why they are part of the extended family at this time UNLESS you spend a considerable amount of time with them.

On another note - my FI's WHOLE family is from Milwaukee.  I have been "converted" to a fan of all things Milwaukee and WI...Laughing 
    80 said yes image
  • Thanks  happe2gether.   My FSIL is not engaged yet, but she is Lavaliered (fraternity engagement, I guess).   

Both my Fiance and I don't see why we need to have them there.  It is an extra 3 people on the list and seeing as we never hang out with them, it was a big shock. 

I'm actually in Madison, but there is no network for Madison, so I had to choose Milwaukee.  I grew in in the Waukesha County area as a kid. 
  • I'd say if they are paying for a lot of the wedding then invite them.  If not, by all means say no!  Some don't understand how expensive weddings are these days!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are future in-laws helping with the cost of the wedding? If they are not, then you most definitely do not need to invite these obscurely distant family of family of family. As happe put it... TOO MUCH!
  • @ BrooksNDunne - the family is my fiance's sisters boyfriends parents and sibling.   They are not paying for a dime in our wedding.   My Fiance's parents are paying for parts of our wedding along with my parents. 
  • @ All - Thank you - We have talked with my fiance's father and he understands where we are coming from and told us, we can invite who we want to be there. 
  • HECK NO!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That seems a bit much.   Even if it were offical I can't imagine inviting my brother's in-laws to my wedding.   (Ok if she were still alive I could see inviting my older brother's MIL to my wedding but only because I was friends with her and her family before my brother married her daughter, and she was at my first wedding.)  
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_guest-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:cb0f23c3-7f16-4e47-8fc7-acf20003e06cPost:44964cb1-1696-4c3f-bbac-da1b68d1083e">Re: Guest at Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd say if they are paying for a lot of the wedding then invite them.  If not, by all means say no!  Some don't understand how expensive weddings are these days!
    Posted by ktwagner21[/QUOTE]
    This post is questioning as: Is your FMIL paying for any of the wedding. If so, then technically she has some say in who comes. If FI's family was paying for nothing, then you could tell them to take a hike. Same with if you mom is paying for 30%, then they have some say in what goes.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• You should definitely invite your FSIL's BF/FI whatever he is... it's a serious relationship, it sounds like.  But no, you shouldn't have to invite his family.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards