Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Small Weddings & Bridesmaids

We are having a small ceremony. The only people attending are our parents, grandparents, siblings, and nephews/nieces. We both have large families, so even that will be 40-50 people (of which 14 are kids). We're having a small after-ceremony luncheon (or possibly dinner) to celebrate.

I have three sisters and want them to be bridesmaids. None of our friends are coming to the wedding (well, my best friend might...but the idea was that this would just be family), so the people my fiance would want as groomsmen aren't coming. He does have one brother that would be a groomsman.

Would it be weird for a wedding that small to have three bridesmaids and one groomsman? I know it's *ok* to do it, and that people should do what makes them happy on their wedding. I'm just curious as to what you would do? I really am on the fence about it. 

Re: Small Weddings & Bridesmaids

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_small-weddings-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:2ae429cb-2bde-4bfb-9e11-b85bec39ab62Post:5951338c-f441-4f4b-a139-e9f8a76ad1c0">Small Weddings & Bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a small ceremony. The only people attending are our parents, grandparents, siblings, and nephews/nieces. We both have large families, so even that will be 40-50 people (of which 14 are kids). We're having a small after-ceremony luncheon (or possibly dinner) to celebrate.   I have three sisters and want them to be bridesmaids. None of our friends are coming to the wedding (well, my best friend might...but the idea was that this would just be family), so the people my fiance would want as groomsmen aren't coming. He does have one brother that would be a groomsman.<strong> Would it be weird for a wedding that small to have three bridesmaids and one groomsman?</strong> I know it's *ok* to do it, and that people should do what makes them happy on their wedding. I'm just curious as to what you would do? I really am on the fence about it. 
    Posted by luverly[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not!  Bridal parties don't have to be even.  It's about having people stand next to you that mean the most to you.
  • Shoot, you only have 25 less people than I do, and I have 3 bridesmaids.  It's about what makes you happy and completes your day, not about fulfilling quotas.  Which would you remember more fondly?
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• What would I do?  I wouldn't ask friends to be bridesmaids at a family-only event. Honestly.  But ... since that doesn't seem to be an option for you, ask your friends and don't give uneven sides a second thought.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards