Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Pimp your photog!

Hey ladies,

I'm in the process of photog searching and I don't even know where to begin.  We haven't set an exact budget, but I'm guessing we will want to stay around $2k or below.

Any recommendations?  Please include your price and what you're getting for it if it's not too much of a hassle :)

Thanks!

Re: Pimp your photog!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding's not until September, so I can't really make a recommendation, but was working with a similar budget and the two photographers I found and liked and talked to were Ellen Bullock and John LoConte.  Unfortunately I don't have my breakdown at hand, but I *think* it's around $1500 for 6 hours of coverage plus disc with digital images plus a small product credit towards prints.   Something in that general ballpark.

We went with Ellen because in the middle of this one of our flower girls had (yet another) freakout at her preschool's photo day because she wanted a girl taking her picture, not a boy photographer.  She *could* grow out of that by the wedding, but she's always been less comfortable around men she doesn't know, so since we liked and could afford either photographer equally, it just made sense to play it safe and minimize flower girl discomfort.  I did like John and found him very enthusiastic and responsive, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using David Bibeault. He's from RI. I can't recall exact price either but I want to say it's around $1700 without an album. I think his prices are on his website. We LOVE him so far. Our engagement pictures were awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are using Darren and Beth Pellegrino.  We had our e-pics taken with them a few weeks ago and we had a blast.  They are a great couple and really work well together.  We are paying 2,900 for 9 hours of coverage and a 12x12 album.  I think it would be around 2,000 without the album  (you get full rights to all of the images, so you could easily make your own).  www.darrenpellegrino.com Good Luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding isn't until Sept either but we are using John LoConte.
    So far he has been great to work with. Very responsive and flexible.
    The work on his website I think is amazing... and he also posts great pics on his Facebook all the time.

He is definitely within the $2k budget.

GL
    Married September 25,2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Vendor Reviews
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we used john loconte from www.johnlophoto.com back in january and i could go on all day about how awesome he is! definitely recommend checking out... he still keeps in touch with me on facebook and is just a super nice and talented guy!
  • Options
    crazybrittnicrazybrittni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're also using John LoConte. Our wedding will be in November. His prices were great, he takes wonderful pictures, and has been great with communication.
    November 10 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    My Planning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 87 Invited image 65 Attending image 18 Declined image 4 Unknown
    RSVP Date: October 12th
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey!

we are using Joshua Behan out of RI for our July 31 wedding in Salem. He may be slightly over  your budget for his most basic package but I could be wrong. I know we decided to upgrade to a package that includes an album. I may be wrong but I think ALL his packages have all day coverage- which is awesome. His work is absolutely stunning- you can check him out at joshuabehan.com and joshuabehanblog.com. He works with his wife and they do incredible work together. We did engagement shots with him last month and are in love with them!

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is in October, and we're using Keith Berry from Berryphotos.com  We're paying $3,500 for all day coverage, 2 photographers, engagement session, and album.  He does have less expensive packages, this is just the one that we went with. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A little more than 2K but contact Scott Metzger and see what he can do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Nick from Kevin Jacobus photography, and they both have been great. He is definitely within your budget and is also willing to work with you if the packages on the web site aren't exactly what you want.
    www.kevinjacobusphoto.com" target="_blank">
    kevinjacobusphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of your great suggestions!!
  • Options
    Kit483Kit483 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anthony Tieuli - and he is amazing. Best part? He doesn't believe in time restrictions. He is there 'from the beginning of the story til the end.' Very reasonable too.

www.anthonytieuli.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Scott Metzger for our wedding and loved our pics.  You can see the slideshow he put together for us (link in siggy) or the proof for our album (see link by our photographer's review in my bio - link also in siggy).  I believe he starts at $2500 for Saturday in-season weddings, but he offers discounts for non-Saturday and/or out of season weddings.  You should definitely check him out.

Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using William Condon on ShutterEyes Photography. He is a full time Malden firefighter and does wedding photography on the weekends.

He has an 8 hour package that is $1200. This includes a full 8hrs of photography (he does not include traveling as part of your time), unlimited photos and all photographs will be fully edited in both color and B&W and put onto a customized Photo CD. The CD will come in a black leather-bound case for safe keeping and your images will be ready for printing at any photo lab (he does not charge for prints!!). You have all the rights to all of your photos. He also sends you a link to your wedding photos, which you can then send to friends and relatives and they can download any and all pictures that the want to for FREE right onto their computer!!

http://www.shuttereyes.info/www.ShutterEyes.info/Welcome.html
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CaitlinB516CaitlinB516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    look into Stacie Kirkwood, she's been great so far!
    September 25, 2010!
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI & I LOVED our photographer!  He was one of our favorite vendors.

He is Dan Nystedt (www.nystedtphotography.com).  He lives in the Boston area, but will travel all over New England.  We looked at at least 30 knottie-recommended photographer's websites, and he was our favorite.  We booked him over a year before our wedding, and I know his prices went up, but I know his prices are all on his site, and I think he starts at around $1900? 

His prices include X hours of photography, plus X number of edited photos, and most importantly (in my opinion) disks with all the high-res digital images.  Albums are extra, he includes photos for online viewing, and if you get one package for a certain number of hours, he allows you to decide at the wedding if you want to pay extra for extra hours of photography for a set rate of $XXX/hour (I think our contract was for an extra $150/hour or something like that).

Another thing we liked about him was he didn't hover around us all day.  I hate when I go to a wedding, take pics, and the photographer is blocking the bride & groom in every shot I take.  When we looked at the pics taken by our guests, there are only like 3 pics he's even in the shot. 

To see some of what he took at our wedding: 
    www.eventpix.com
    event: jane & nick
    password: 6/12/10

(he also recommended the photographer we had who took the photobooth pics!)

Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    normonnormon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going with Scott Metzger and he may be a little out of budget, but we get two photographers for 7 hours, our album and two parent albums and he includes the rights to the CD.  A couple of people that I went to graduate school with and some of their friends used him.  We did check out Rachael at 71 West photography and really liked her.  My friend is using her and her prices were a little lower but didn't include a 2nd photographer.  Since we're not having a videographer we wanted to have the 2nd photographer. 
  • Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mandy Mayberry is under 2gs for full day coverage and 2 photogs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Heather Parker.  When I booked her (one shooter, winter wedding), it was $2K for a fabulous package without albums (which I didn't want to pay for through a photographer anyway).  All images were personally retouched by the photog and provided to the client on two sets of discs (b&w and color, with full rights), several larger (11x14", 16x20") keepsake prints, and online print purchasing for guests/family.  She shot all day and her photojournalistic style chronicled the whole experience-- exactly what I'd wanted. 

Heather shoots in both Chicago (where she now lives) and Boston (where she grew up).  This worked out great for me as I grew up on the South Shore but relocated to Chicago several years ago.  I know her pricing would be just outside your target budget (esp. with a second shooter), but she might be worth the look. Price was important to us, too, but we couldn't have been more satisfied.

Visit heatherparker.smugmug.com and click "Lea and Mark Wedding" (password is "fortkamp") to see all of our color images.  Her website is http://heatherparker.com, and the blog (to which she publishes new wedding, travel, and archetectural shoots as they happen) is http://heatherparker.com/blog.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Options
    sandra78sandra78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Heather Parker a while ago and have been working with her on an album since we didn't want it in our package at the time. We just didn't get around to making one and are now thinking about it. Her style is photojournalism and she is always getting published. I am not sure what her current prices are since our wedding wasn't so recent. In corresponding with her about the album, she did let us know that a barn wedding she just shot is going to be in the Knot magazine soon. The link we got was here.

http://www.heatherparker.com/barnwedding
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dave Garcia, davidgarciaphotograhy.com HE IS AMAZING! loved him and my pictures and is def. under that budget, if you'd like pics let me know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I worked with Kate Femina at k. Photographie for my RD photography. She did an awesome job and captured a lot of cute moments that neither DH or I saw.

Edit: She obviously also does weddings, but I just had her do RD photography. :o)
  • Options
    winterclassicwinterclassic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heather Parker Photography www.heatherparker.com

She goes between Boston and Chicago. From following the board, I think she does a lot of coastal type of weddings but I could be wrong. I saw a Nantucket wedding and a Martha's Vineyard wedding recently on her website. There was also this very very colorful indian wedding on their website that just blew my mind.
    www.heatherparker.com/blog" target="_blank" title="those indian photos">
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heather Parker was our photographer on Nantucket. We got two photographers for eight hours, no additional fee to have the photos on cd, everything copied into black and white, travel costs to Nantucket included in the price, and no minimum order on print or album before the pictures are released.
    Irish *wife* on Nantucket, lovin' the island life with the love of my life! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards