September 2012 Weddings

Super Excited Had to Share

So my FI loves Omega Watches, for those of you that do not know what they are think Rolex quality. FI really wants one of the newest ones they came out with and I wanted to surprise him with one as a wedding gift. I am a full time tax accountant and work 65+ hours a week at my full time job during the “season” and run my own tax practice for cash on the side at night and on weekends. I worked super hard this past season to save as much money as I could, FI has no clue what cash I bring home from it so he was unaware I was doing this. Anyway tomorrow I’m taking a trip into Manhattan to pick it up from the boutique. I still can’t believe I was able to purchase this 7K item without him having any clue. Fingers crossed he does not find out between now and the RH dinner when I am going to surprise him with it. I have told only my mother about this to be sure the surprise is not spoiled, so I had to share with you guys! Is anyone else doing something special for their FI?

Re: Super Excited Had to Share

• edited July 2012
    Nope.  Can't say I'd go out and drop 7k on a gift.  Then again, we go more for the sentimental value of the whole getting married thing than anything else.  
  • That's impressive saving!!  Make sure you get that baby covered by insurance right away.
  • $7k?? no, Thats almost a car so I would not spend that much lol.  We've been planning this wedding for 2 years and we are paying for the whole thing so that is our gift to each other.  After the wedding will be time to start house shopping, so that would be a continued present!

• Congratulations on saving so well!  I don't know that I would have had the discipline - since this is something he really wants, I'm sure he'll be shocked and awed by your generosity!

For us, FI has been unemployed for 3 years while in law school, so we're still paycheck-to-paycheck.  We hope to build up savings after the wedding, but because we don't have much right now, we're keeping the honeymoon relatively low-key and our wedding gifts are capped at around $100.  I told him specifically that I want jewelry - I want something, even if it's a simple set of earrings or necklace, that I can say my husband gave me on my wedding day.  For him, I bought him custom cufflinks with his initials & a metal box with his initials and the USMC logo on it for him to keep his cufflinks & service medals.  He's going to love both, and they cost me under $100.

Anniversary

• Wow, great job saving!!!  I think my FI would be pissed if I spent that much money on him.  Hahahaha :)  As of now, I think I'm giving him engraved cufflinks and the tool chest he wants off of our registry.  It's the one thing he really wants and he is totally into practical gifts.  Now are you going to be upset if his gift to you doesn't quite live up to yours for him?
    September 2012: Invitations

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:7e8e0800-85b3-49cb-9d71-7fc0e9760ded">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]$7k?? no, Thats almost a car so I would not spend that much lol.  We've been planning this wedding for 2 years and we are paying for the whole thing so that is our gift to each other.  After the wedding will be time to start house shopping, so that would be a continued present!
    Posted by cronin85[/QUOTE]

What kind of a car can you get for 7k? A clown car? Haha.

Anyway, I think it's really impressive that you worked so hard to save up that money for his gift. Don't listen to the haters. Obviously, you know that the marriage is about the sentiment and commitment, but it's still a sweet gesture.

My FI actually found a watch that he loved, too. I think it was around 3k? Still wayy more than I'm currently willing to spend. Luckily, I found one exactly like it (same brand and everything) for just a few hundred! (The only difference that I could see was that one runs off of batteries while the other runs off of your body's movement. Definitely cool but not worth the extra $$). I think he'll be really excited/surprised and I'm betting it will take him a little while to realize that I didn't buy the super pricey one. :)
    Anniversary
  • We aren't doing gifts either...  we are spending $13K on each other by throwing this wedding. :)
  • Oh, and I got my FI a watch for our engagement!  I got it on Ideeli.com for $160, but it's a $750 watch.  I was thrilled with the deal, and he loves the watch.

Anniversary

• edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:f98fba43-259d-4be0-950e-427be1428a65">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Super Excited Had to Share : <strong>What kind of a car can you get for 7k? A clown car? Haha.</strong> Anyway, I think it's really impressive that you worked so hard to save up that money for his gift. Don't listen to the haters. Obviously, you know that the marriage is about the sentiment and commitment, but it's still a sweet gesture. My FI actually found a watch that he loved, too. I think it was around 3k? Still wayy more than I'm currently willing to spend. Luckily, I found one exactly like it (same brand and everything) for just a few hundred! (The only difference that I could see was that one runs off of batteries while the other runs off of your body's movement. Definitely cool but not worth the extra $$). I think he'll be really excited/surprised and I'm betting it will take him a little while to realize that I didn't buy the super pricey one. :)
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]

<div>Umm, like a  million used cars and that's half of any basic car model.  "Hahahaha".  Also, no one is hating.  OP came off a little snobbish to me to be honest but no hating, FI and I aren't the type to drop that kind of money when we are paying for a wedding and saving for a house.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:0b70eb9a-2f6c-4964-b8ba-f942ec13af2f">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Super Excited Had to Share : Umm, like a  million used cars and that's half of any basic car model.  "Hahahaha".  Also, no one is hating.  OP came off a little snobbish to me to be honest but no hating, FI and I aren't the type to drop that kind of money when we are paying for a wedding and saving for a house.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

The only way she came off snobbish is if someone is envious of the number she put down.  If she had said the exact same thing, mentioned how hard she had been saving, but that number was $150 instead of $7k, no one would have thought it snobbish at all.

I think there's a lot of rather negative comments on this thread to someone who worked really hard on overtime to buy her FI something special.  It doesn't mean anyone else needs to spend that much, or any at all - and it doesn't sound like she's saying she thinks she's somehow better than anyone else for doing it.  She worked really hard and saved really hard.  It's really selfless, honestly.  If I worked that hard on top of a full time job, not to mention during tax season for an accountant, I would use the money to finance a personal week at the spa! 

TK in general seems to be a bit mob mentality towards anyone who makes more money or spends more money or has more money... I get money is a touchy subject for a lot of people, but begrudging someone else something that makes them happy and excited simply because it cost a lot of money seems bitter and rather unfair.

Anniversary

• No, I'm not jealous. I guess I'm confused as to why you are saying that. I guess the whole going on about her jobs thing made me interperet it that way. I never said she was a snob, just that she came off snobbish. Who the hell really cares? All I know is that more people have commented about me saying that I wasn't going to buy a gift than saying anything negative about OP. She asked a question and I answered her in regards to what I was doing. I'm sorry you didn't like the answer. Absolutely nothing was meant by it. This is why I stay away from here. Its the internet, its not serious.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:63cc7b7a-4fa8-44c3-9622-472a365cab11">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Super Excited Had to Share : The only way she came off snobbish is if someone is envious of the number she put down.  If she had said the exact same thing, mentioned how hard she had been saving, but that number was $150 instead of $7k, no one would have thought it snobbish at all. I think there's a lot of rather negative comments on this thread to someone who worked really hard on overtime to buy her FI something special.  It doesn't mean anyone else needs to spend that much, or any at all - and it doesn't sound like she's saying she thinks she's somehow better than anyone else for doing it.  She worked really hard and saved really hard.  It's really selfless, honestly.  If I worked that hard on top of a full time job, not to mention during tax season for an accountant, I would use the money to finance a personal week at the spa!  TK in general seems to be a bit mob mentality towards anyone who makes more money or spends more money or has more money... I get money is a touchy subject for a lot of people, but begrudging someone else something that makes them happy and excited simply because it cost a lot of money seems bitter and rather unfair.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I didn't necessarily think the OP was snobbish... but, I can understand how it came across that way.  Mostly because of the "for those who don't know" and putting the price of the watch in there.   I think it's common for people to think "snob" when you see or hear other people talking about how much they spent on something.   Whether it is $150 or $7K, when someone talks about specific dollar amounts, it will often strike other people as being snobby or "better than".

And for what it's worth, I am certain that I am not envious.  ;)
  • Regardless of 7k or not it came off snobbish to me.  That is all.  I'm not saying she herself is one.  It is possible for people to interpret things differently ;)  I don't think I should get lectured on me being jealous and what not for not reading it in the same light.  Yeesh.  You all say you are the "nice" ones.
  • I spent 500 on him...it was for a boudior photoshoot for me...he likes looking at me so it was a good gift lol!
  • ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:0b70eb9a-2f6c-4964-b8ba-f942ec13af2f">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Super Excited Had to Share : Umm, like a  million used cars and that's half of any basic car model.  "Hahahaha".  Also, no one is hating.  OP came off a little snobbish to me to be honest but no hating, FI and I aren't the type to drop that kind of money when we are paying for a wedding and saving for a house.  

Ok, you're right...you could get a used car, but to me half of a basic car model is not "almost" a car. It's half. Also, I didn't say "hahahah," but thanks for the sarcasm, love.

I don't think she came off as snobbish at all and I agree with PP's comments. Also, when your response just entails that you woul never spend that much, you aren't answering her question. Her question was, are you doing anything special for your FI? It had nothing to do with money. It could have been about any kind of surprise that you were planning, just FYI. Everyone has different priorities and I don't see any reason to pass judgement, thus my comment about haters.

ETA: I don't think anyone here is meaning to come across as mean, but I feel like you did a bit. I think it's kind of a "don't dish it if you can't take it" kind of thing. If people feel that you're in the wrong they are going to stand up for the OP. That's all.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:17d20522-dbbd-496e-800b-80c6767d357a">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]Regardless of 7k or not it came off snobbish to me.  That is all.  I'm not saying she herself is one.  It is possible for people to interpret things differently ;)  I don't think I should get lectured on me being jealous and what not for not reading it in the same light.  Yeesh.  You all say you are the "nice" ones.

Just for the record...  I actually agree with you... I don't necessarily think it was the $7K that made it sound snobbish... in general, I think when folks tell other people how much they spent on anything (whether it is a watch, or dinner, or really, anything), it comes across as snobbish sounding.
  • Congrats on the savvy saving, and I have no doubt he'll have his socks knocked off by your gift! I want to buy fi a piano for a wedding gift, but had hoped he'd unload the Hammond organ (it needs some pretty serious work and he has said he's not game to do that and plans to find it a new home) that's taking up a whole lotta space in our living room by this point. No dice, and thus nowhere to put said piano. :P Maybe 1st anniversary. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Although, now that I think about it a little more.   We talk about money on here all the time (mostly about what we are budgeting for overall and where to find bargains though.  So, maybe it's acceptable when you are trying to be budget minded, but when you aren't, it sounds snobby.  

Who knows.

• Like really, we are arguing over the most ridiculous thing. I said what I said, I felt the way I did and that is that. Its not like I freaked out on OP. And no, I wouldn't spend money on a gift when I'm saving for a house, sue me. For special things I bought the wedding bands, and I'm planning on writing him a cute letter to read the day of. Is that better? Let's move on now.
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:98b4929a-7dc6-4f8d-aced-5820feecaa4f">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Super Excited Had to Share : Ok, you're right...you could get a used car, but to me half of a basic car model is not "almost" a car. It's half. <strong>Also, I didn't say "hahahah," but thanks for the sarcasm, love.</strong> I don't think she came off as snobbish at all and I agree with PP's comments. Also, when your response just entails that you woul never spend that much, you aren't answering her question. Her question was, are you doing anything special for your FI? It had nothing to do with money. It could have been about any kind of surprise that you were planning, just FYI. Everyone has different priorities and I don't see any reason to pass judgement, thus my comment about haters. ETA:<strong> I don't think anyone here is meaning to come across as mean</strong>, but I feel like you did a bit. I think it's kind of a "don't dish it if you can't take it" kind of thing. If people feel that you're in the wrong they are going to stand up for the OP. That's all.
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You're doing a good job of it. </div><div>
    </div><div>I have to agree with PP, if FH spent that kind of money on me I'd be livid. We're a team and big financial decisions need to be discussed even though we keep our finances separate. To each their own though.  

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • OP, congrats on the saving. I'm sure he'll be so excited to open it =)

My Saturn Ion was 7k.

FI and I are not exchanging gifts. He wanted to, but there's nothing "meaningful" we would give each other (like jewlery or a watch) so it felt weird. We'll save those for Christmas and write letters to each other the day of.

We had rather spend that money on our HM.

...Which still didn't even cost half of that.

My FI would be peeved if I spent so much without him knowing too. But, hey, 7k is a TON of money to us and maybe its not for some people. Its whatever.

There... now I'm in the conversation. =P
  • FWIW.  I wasn't arguing.  I just enjoy dialogue about random shitttt.  And yes, I agree with PPs. I'd be furious. We need new siding for the house...    I didn't even want to spend $500.00 on my wedding band.
  • I think that its great that you had that much discipline to work and save up for something that you knew your FI would love. I personally am not spending anything on a gift for him, he's getting a hand written letter and thats it. We're house hunting immediately after we get back from our honeymoon, so we agreed no gifts to put more money aside for that.

As for the conversation, I often find around TK the nature is if someone is chatting up money about how much they saved it becomes this big 'way to go' support thread. When someone talks about spending more than most 'are comfortable spending' then the conversation quickly goes downhill. That's why a lot of brides that have even a slightly lavish wedding budget are SO careful with what they say on here, or head over to the 'luxury weddings' board. It saddens me to see that happening here the way it does on other boards. Lets just drop the money side of it and have a good conversation about what we're doing for our FI's :)
  • Sorry if I got some of you all heating over my OP, but honesty I really could care less what any of you think about what I am doing. I'm not a snob at all, and any of you that know me from on TK know this. I asked if anyone has anything special planned with regards to gifts, it was not about the volume of spending. I only detailed the $ issue because I guess I was trying to be as clear as I could with the level of saving I had to do to accomplish this. It is a lot of money yes, but at the same time it's what he really wants and these watches are collector items so I hope to pass it to my children on their wedding day as a family heirloom. Also for the record I think he deserves it for the simple reason he went away for six weeks on a special work detail in a bad area of the country risking his life just so he could get me the engagement ring of my dreams.
    On a side note FI and I are paying for our entire wedding and honeymoon cash in addition for saving for a house. We both work/worked very hard to do this.

• jjswin - let it go, you'll only instigate more nonsense.  In general, it's considered bad form to discuss specific dollar amounts.  As my Mother always reminds me, it's rude to discuss finances and religion in public, and I guess that goes here. 

That said, as I've already said, I don't think what you said was snobbish at all.  I think Britt (BMcLeodTeam) got it right - for some reason, when people talk about spending money, everyone jumps all over them as to why they would NEVER spend that much... but talk about savings or even low-level splurges are supported and encouraged. 

It's not just TK, it's the world in general - and you'll never hear anyone admit they're jealous, but that's what it comes off as always.  If you had just said you saved to buy a watch for your FI, no brand or price, no one would have been the wiser and it would have received a totally different response.

Anniversary

• here is a little something to lighten the mood, i find it on a website--thought I would shareA young couple decided to wed. As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive. Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice. "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage. I love my fiancée, very much, but you see, I have smelly feet - it's horrible, and I'm afraid that my future wife will be put off by them." "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks...even to bed." Well, to him this seemed a workable solution.
    The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear as well, decided to take her problem up her mom. "Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful." "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has bad breath in the morning." "No, you don't
    understand. My morning breath is so bad, I'm afraid that my new husband will not want to sleep in the same room with me."
    Her mother said simply, "Try this. In the morning, get straight out of bed, and head for the bathroom and brush your teeth. The key is, not to say a word until you've brushed your teeth. Not a word," her mother affirmed. Well, she thought it was certainly worth a try. The loving couple were finally married in a beautiful ceremony. Not forgetting the advice each had received, he with his perpetual socks and she with her morning silence, they managed quite nicely. Early one morning, shortly before dawn, the husband wakes and was startled to find that one of his socks had come off! Fearful of the consequences, he frantically searches the bed. This, of course, woke his bride and without thinking, she asked, "what on Earth are you doing?" "Oh no!" he gasped in shock..."you've swallowed my sock!!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_super-excited-had-to-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:f4444650-8ac1-4210-8090-afade9121502Post:79554b0d-2ecf-4010-b977-060cb634bec7">Re: Super Excited Had to Share</a>:
    [QUOTE]here is a little something to lighten the mood, i find it on a website--thought I would shareA young couple decided to wed. As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive. Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice. "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage. I love my fiancée, very much, but you see, I have smelly feet - it's horrible, and I'm afraid that my future wife will be put off by them." "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks...even to bed." Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear as well, decided to take her problem up her mom. "Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful." "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has bad breath in the morning." "No, you don't understand. My morning breath is so bad, I'm afraid that my new husband will not want to sleep in the same room with me." Her mother said simply, "Try this. In the morning, get straight out of bed, and head for the bathroom and brush your teeth . The key is, not to say a word until you've brushed your teeth. Not a word," her mother affirmed. Well, she thought it was certainly worth a try. The loving couple were finally married in a beautiful ceremony. Not forgetting the advice each had received, he with his perpetual socks and she with her morning silence, they managed quite nicely. Early one morning, shortly before dawn, the husband wakes and was startled to find that one of his socks had come off! Fearful of the consequences, he frantically searches the bed. This, of course, woke his bride and without thinking, she asked, "what on Earth are you doing?" "Oh no!" he gasped in shock..."you've swallowed my sock!!"
    Posted by mck776[/QUOTE]
    That's really cute!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards