Missouri-St Louis
Options

Keeping guests occupied between ceremony and reception

Does anyone else have anything planned for their guests during that time?
Our ceremony ends at 2:30 and our reception starts at 6:30. I'm wondering if we should offer anything for our guests to do in between. I find the knot's articles aren't any help, since I can't afford to have a 2 hour cocktail hour at the reception or rent buses to take everyone on a prepaid activity (lol seriously?).
Any cheap ideas? TIA

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is Novemeber 26th, 2011

207 invited 24 accepted! 1 can't make it 86 haven't responded yet
RSVP Date October 4th, 2011

Re: Keeping guests occupied between ceremony and reception

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Eesh, that's quite a break.  Seeing as you're 7 weeks out, and can't afford occupying your guests' time or transport to a free activity, I don't have a ton of ideas.  

Maybe create a list of nearby attractions and insert in the program?
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_keeping-guests-occupied-between-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:0547b76b-1052-4959-8e2f-d5040477acc8Post:5a8efbe5-af7f-48d2-8c85-ec0e35d88653">Re: Keeping guests occupied between ceremony and reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Maybe create a list of nearby attractions and insert in the program?
    Posted by maryandkirk0909[/QUOTE]

That's what I would recommend.  I posted a list of local attractions on my wedding website so people could plan ahead of time.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    SaraRose1124SaraRose1124 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also posting a list of things to do on my wedding website.  It's strange, I've actually never been to a wedding and reception that were back to back and didn't realize it was odd to have a gap in between until I joined the knot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree...maybe you could add a page to your programs about local spots they could check out during your break, maybe for a little nibble or drink. That's what I plan to do. I've always been to weddings with breaks, especially with Catholic weddings like mine, so I don't find it strange or rude. To tell you the truth, if the wedding is OOT, I usually just rest at the hotel. If its local, I may even go home. Most guests don't need you to plan stuff for them.
    Photobucket Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. My mother in law is going to have a "hospitality room" at a nearby hotel, so it all worked out. :)
    I never thought it was weird either, but then I started hearing little comments here and there about what a gap it was and it made me worry a bit. I agree it's pretty standard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is Novemeber 26th, 2011

207 invited 24 accepted! 1 can't make it 86 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 4th, 2011

• Options
    StjordancreekStjordancreek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    St. Jordan Creek Winery is a new winery just 35 minutes west of Eureka.  We have had several groups come the winery that are in between the ceremony and the reception on Saturdays.  The venue is free, often there is live music and the space is very attractive, inside and out.  We have also had groups come on Friday afternoon before the rehersal and rehersal dinner for the same reasons.  It is stylish and fun and the space is free during normal open hours on Friday and Saturday.  check out www.stjordancreek.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards