Hawaii

Maui wedding 101

We have tentatively decided on a maui wedding in March. Not sure of the exact date though.  I don't know where to begin.  Did you research the beaches, condos and then call a wedding coordinator?  Did you call a bunch of coordinators and decided on one that you had a good coversation with?

We want a simple wedding with either just the two of us or immediate family so that might be a total of 20 people.  After the wedding, we don't want our family hanging around so how did you guys handle that part of the honeymoon?

So I guess my question is what do you start with?

Beth
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Maui wedding 101

• edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! First, make sure you check out Jackcody's amazing Maui bio! There's a link to that in the welcome post.

I worked things out in this order: reception location, caterer, photographer. I didn't feel the need to book a coordinator, and really, I'm glad I didn't. I come from a military family (and I'm a drama teacher) and we're really good at organizing/producing things. So, if you're good at that, I definitely recommend saving your money and doing without.

We knew exactly where we wanted to stay (Kahana Village) because we'd stayed there before. However when it came to telling our guests where to stay, we gave them some suggestions on our website and omitted where we'd be at. So, that was the first step in ensuring privacy.

Of course then my parents, in-laws and best friends ended up staying there... but that was fine in the end. We came to the decision that it was better to hang out with our guests who'd flown in from overseas than spend the first few days alone. We planned events with our guests the rest of the week, and really, it was a great time.

So, my best recommendation would be to switch your location after the wedding.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have been to Maui quite a bit, so we knew the areas that we were looking for a venue in.  I actually went ahead and hired my photographer and spoke with caterers and venues before I signed on with a coordinator.  I knew I needed someone to help suggest vendors that I didn't know, and that I don't want to ahve to run around on our wedding day worrying about everything being right, or centerpieces, or anything really.  I just want to show up, have everything perfect and not have to lift a finger. 
    Our wedding is on a Tuesday, and we are leaving Maui on that Friday to go to Oahu to get away from the crowd.  I am super excited!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We decided on a date and location first and then contacted a wedding coordinator. 
    We wanted to do it at the Olowalu Plantation and had no idea how hard it was too book there. Moved our date a couple of times with no luck so had to move it a whole month earlier. At this time, wedding coordinator was the one who contacted the location to see what dates are available. Once date was set with help of WC, , We signed a contract with the WC for that date and paid a deposit and everything else can be decided after that. 

It would be hard to look for photog, caterer, etc if you dont have your place and date set.

If you decide to go without a WC, it would still be impt to secure the date and location you desire first. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards