April 2012 Weddings

Unhappy with Wedding Photos

Anyone else have a bad experience with their photographer?
Mine was an hour late, left early and the pictures came out TERRIBLE.  I am very sad about this.  Sorry this post doesnt have much of a point - just needed to vent about it and wanted to see if anyoneone else had these problems.
wedding countdown

Re: Unhappy with Wedding Photos

• I'm so sorry to hear that :(

My cousin was my photographer, who has a budding photography business. She already had an extensive portfolio before this event, but I believe this was her first wedding. She was very excited about the job and made sure to be there early, took so many pictures that she's still working on them, in chronological order, and the ones that she has sent to me have been beautiful.

Do you know of any of your wedding guests that have some photos that they can share with you? You may find some of their photos to be to your liking. Ugh. I know it sucks for the pictures to turn out badly :(
    Jamie 9/1/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am on the fence about mine.

I love the candids that our photographer took, he really captured people's emotions and great moments. But, the formals leave a lot to be desired...at least from what I have seen... 

So I sorta feel your pain.
    Photobucket
  • I'm still not sure about the wedding photos. I'm more frustrated with the photographer. He's done a fanastic job with weddings that are the normal all day into the night kind of weddings, but we were a much smaller/shorter wedding. We only had about 60 people there and we were married at 1:00 (full church mass), reception followed at 3:00 and ended about 7:00.
    Well our photographer is used to having like 3 hours between the ceremony and reception for pics, but we figured we could get some after the ceremony which ended at 2:15 or so and then head over to the reception site which was less than 5 minutes away.
    No, he wanted to go all over town to get the "shot no one else has" and I put my foot down and said, No. There's a reason we booked the reception site less than 5 minutes from the ceremony site and the reception so early. So it worked out with getting our shots at the church and in the plaza area around.
    Then once the dance started, we wanted to get just a couple of photos there at the reception site (flower petals being tossed, that type of stuff). It took him over an hour to get various pics of just us and doing laps around the reception site for all the "artistic shots" he wanted to get, which to be honest I could of cared less about; since we had already taken the major ones I wanted right after the ceremony. Well since we were so busy taking these useless shots, we ended up  missing most of our dance meaning I never got a chance to dance with my dad, my husband never got a chance to dance with his mom, and I missed the shots that I really wanted with us mingling and dancing with our family and friends, etc. Again, we only had 60 people there, which makes it more disappointing since it's friends and family that are really important to us. We've been together for 12 years, and we were finally able to get married. I wanted shots with meaning, emotion, and moments that you only have that one day; and we didn't get them. Cry
  • rarditorardito member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I haven't seen mine yet, but she did our engagement photos which were awesome so I think they will be fine.

Photobucket

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Amanda - your pics are gorgeous from what I see!!  You looked beautiful.

Star - I sorta had the same problem with my photographer.  He wanted to do "his" artistic stuff.  I wanted simple pictures.  I had to put my foot down and remind him WE were paying HIM to take OUR pictures!!  Needless to say they didn't come out that great - maybe because they were what he wanted and not what I wanted.  He did a lot of formal stuff but didn't get any of the guests and the fun stuff.  They also didn't seem to look very professional and he got the videographer in most of the shots.  I am getting over it but was very upset since this is the only memories we will have of that amazing day!

wedding countdown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_unhappy-with-wedding-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:7058d10f-bd5c-4ae3-bf6d-3bac1c83fc4ePost:42defede-3848-4b89-b1fc-2b6c104b2d73">Re: Unhappy with Wedding Photos</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amanda - your pics are gorgeous from what I see!!  You looked beautiful. Star - I sorta had the same problem with my photographer.  He wanted to do "his" artistic stuff.  I wanted simple pictures.  I had to put my foot down and remind him WE were paying HIM to take OUR pictures!!  Needless to say they didn't come out that great - maybe because they were what he wanted and not what I wanted.  He did a lot of formal stuff but didn't get any of the guests and the fun stuff.  They also didn't seem to look very professional and he got the videographer in most of the shots.  I am getting over it but was very upset since this is the only memories we will have of that amazing day!
    Posted by Trixeetrix[/QUOTE]

If you paid him for your photos, then what he wants doesn't matter, right?  You paid him for photos and he should have shot the pictures you wanted.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  Have you expressed your disappointment to the photog?  I don't know if it would do any good, but it might make you feel a little better.  You guys could always find a different photographer and do a TTD session or something to get some better pictures that you like, if you are really wanting some good "weddingish" photos of you and your Husband.  Just a thought. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Im with you...some preview shots Ive seen are great, others-not so much...a LOT of smooching ones which Im not crazy about and in hindsight...aside from the "getting ready" process I dont think I have a single posed shot with my mother!  We'll see...Ill be getting them soon.  Oh well.
  • edited May 2012
    You know, all the tips say not to do what I did and hire a family member and/or budding photographer. After hearing about all these I'm glad I did. I think that because my cousin is a family member she knew what would be important to me, like photos with my mom and with my dad before and after, etc. She also got pics with my friends and any other family I wanted at the reception. It helps that she's also extremely talented and the photos have come out beautifully. It makes me sad that you guys had these people who seemed to care more about their own wants and not what you wanted. :
    Jamie 9/1/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • red - I think that this was probably a good idea since your family member cared about your pictures / cares about you.  I think some photographers are just in it for the money and don't really care what you want (as was the case with me).

blg - I did complain to his company for what its worth.  But it really doesn't change the fact that my pictures suck!  I definately expressed my disappointment and will be getting some compensation for it though.

wedding countdown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards