Not Engaged Yet
Options

While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....

2»

Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....

• Options
    singing_lynsinging_lyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that too about wedding bands. I believe I read it on wikipedia or something like that once. I was looking up engagement rings, and it was a link and the little caption thingy got my interest piqued so I clicked on it and read the whole thing. Also I've read before that women's wedding rings were originally worn to show that the woman now belonged to a man when women basically were bought and sold through marriage. So I'm suprised that it hasn't become an outdated practice, not that I'm not going to wear mine when I get it as now it has taken on the symbolism of the commitment not the ownership, but I'm suprised that more women don't take issue with the wedding rings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    AS23AS23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The way I see it, yes it's an outward symbol to others that you are married. But let's be real - there isn't going to be one given situation that either of them will ever be in for the rest of their lives when the people around them don't know who they are or that they're married to each other.

Practically speaking I agree with being annoyed if hubs didn't want to wear it - but he isn't a Prince of England!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "That said, I would want FI to wear his ring (with the exception of times where he can not) mostly because it was kind expensive. I would have hated to have wasted that money on something he wouldn't wear."

...Yes! I have no idea if my BF will want to wear a ring or not, but I hope he will if we spend a fair bit of money on it. My parents never wore their rings that I remember. Rings don't make people not cheat, and you can always take it off if that's your goal. I think you show your commitment through your actions more than anything else. Rings let other people know to back off if they're decent, but if they have an eye out for your hubby, a ring won't stop them. I will probably want to wear my rings all the time, but I've never been a big jewlery person, so I expect there will be times I forget them. A band of gold or substutive metal does not a marriage make.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:145f3893-1609-433c-830c-c64bdc753f6b">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard that too about wedding bands. I believe I read it on wikipedia or something like that once. I was looking up engagement rings, and it was a link and the little caption thingy got my interest piqued so I clicked on it and read the whole thing. Also I've read before that women's wedding rings were originally worn to show that the woman now belonged to a man when women basically were bought and sold through marriage. So I'm suprised that it hasn't become an outdated practice, not that I'm not going to wear mine when I get it as now it has taken on the symbolism of the commitment not the ownership, <strong>but I'm suprised that more women don't take issue with the wedding rings.
    </strong>Posted by singing_lyn[/QUOTE]

I actually had heard about WWI having something to do with men starting to wear wedding rings in Western culture.  It's interesting.

And yes, the whole bought-and-sold thing is definitely a consideration of mine.  Which is why I'm also proposing to my guy (he gets a watch, I get a ring).  And both my parents are walking me down the aisle so I don't feel like I'm being passed off Dad-to-Husband like chattel.  Everyone deals with it in their own way, but I've also been a big fan of making an old tradition new by giving it new meaning.  It doesn't have to mean what it once meant.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    DBF has mentioned that he probably won't wear his much. I'm totally cool with him not wearing it to work since he's an electrician and it's pretty hard to find a ring that does not conduct electricity.  HOWEVER, when he said he probably won't wear it much at all, I quickly corrected him and informed him that I would prefer that he put it on when he gets home from work.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards