Chit Chat

Bridezilla show compensation?

Ok, so I have searched high and low for the answer to this one and everyone seems pretty hush hush about it lol. The WE tv website says they "generously compensate" but doesn't go in detail about how much. I know its a touchy subject from what I have read on it in other boards but everyone has a price right? Has anyone tried to be on the show or gotten info on what the generous compensation is?

Re: Bridezilla show compensation?

• I think its a couple of thousand. There was a lady in my city that was on there and she is the friend of my friend.....if that makes sense lol. I had to ask :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2012
    It's not that generous. Less than 5k. And you pay 50 percent taxes on it.
  • Oh man that isn't enough if its under 5k and you have to pay taxes on it! I heard that the vendors cut you deals for getting some free publicity though so that might make up for the low pay if you got some really good discounts lol. I watched the show and think it is entaintaining but I know it has to be some what fake. I always wondered though why all the wedding on the show were always so low budget, like no one who had a really nice wedding has come out on the show that I have seen so far :/ whats up with that?
  • In Response to Re:Bridezilla show compensation?:[QUOTE]No amount of money is worth ruining your reputation on national television Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]
    True... But does every bride on the show make a complete fool of herself? I haven't seen them all but I have seen a few, so far I think one wasn't too bad.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridezilla-show-compensation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:94262a3a-584a-49dd-b4d2-9d9540cd6e8cPost:d6768703-9746-4be9-9546-ccc21d3a8531">Re:Bridezilla show compensation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not that generous. Less than 5k. And you pay 50 percent taxes on it.
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

If it's considered self-employment income, you pay in your normal tax bracket I'm pretty sure.
  • Certain shows pay you via 1099, others it's basically the same process as winning money on a game show.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridezilla-show-compensation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:94262a3a-584a-49dd-b4d2-9d9540cd6e8cPost:41f63073-4c0d-457d-8a86-5a29f02a725e">Re:Bridezilla show compensation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Bridezilla show compensation?: True... But does every bride on the show make a complete fool of herself? I haven't seen them all but I have seen a few, so far I think one wasn't too bad.
    Posted by krystelgotti[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that some of them must be fake. Or I'm hoping some are fake and people are really not that bad.

Have you seen the Jeanine one? Good Lord, this girl needed to be punched in the face. The other really bad one i remember was Karen. Her wedding was expensive I think but daddy was paying for it and she treated everyone like crap.
  • No I haven't seen the recent ones just watched a few on netflix. Lol my guy was joking about how low budget the ones we saw were. I mean come on wth the way some of these girls were acting I was expecting a "my super sweet 16" type of quality wedding but they seemed to be like 5k or so. I mean not to speak badly on those having a budget wedding I juat figured budget wedding brides wouldn't be super over the top lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridezilla-show-compensation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:94262a3a-584a-49dd-b4d2-9d9540cd6e8cPost:3679265e-f260-4d60-ab10-af7ee875ff4e">Re:Bridezilla show compensation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man that isn't enough if its under 5k and you have to pay taxes on it! I heard that the vendors cut you deals for getting some free publicity though so that might make up for the low pay if you got some really good discounts lol. I watched the show and think it is entaintaining but I know it has to be some what fake. I always wondered though why all the wedding on the show were always <strong>so low budget, like no one who had a really nice wedding</strong> has come out on the show that I have seen so far :/ whats up with that?
    Posted by krystelgotti[/QUOTE]

Krystel, I know you probably don't mean to come off this way, but your posts in this thread read kind of snooty. I had a very nice wedding for under $5000, as did may other ladies on this site. There are hateful people at all price points.

The episodes I've seen (admittedly not many--2 or 3), the brides have been absolutely awful to everyone around them. One of the weddings was cancelled when the groom saw just how mean his FI was to people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh no, I am not trying to put those who spent less on their weddings down, I mean people who were acting like spoiled rich girls when they were talking about using foodstamps to cover food cost. Thats what I meant when I said low budget, like come on how can you treat anyone like that when you don't have much to spoiled about. My friend had a very nice tasteful wedding that was low cost but she was also no where near what anyone would consider a bridezilla.
    In Response to Re:Bridezilla show compensation?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Bridezilla show compensation?:Oh man that isn't enough if its under 5k and you have to pay taxes on it! I heard that the vendors cut you deals for getting some free publicity though so that might make up for the low pay if you got some really good discounts lol. I watched the show and think it is entaintaining but I know it has to be some what fake. I always wondered though why all the wedding on the show were always so low budget, like no one who had a really nice wedding has come out on the show that I have seen so far :/ whats up with that?Posted by krystelgottiKrystel, I know you probably don't mean to come off this way, but your posts in this thread read kind of snooty. I had a very nice wedding for under 5000, as did may other ladies on this site. There are hateful people at all price points.The episodes I've seen admittedly not many2 or 3, the brides have been absolutely awful to everyone around them. One of the weddings was cancelled when the groom saw just how mean his FI was to people. Posted by bunni727[/QUOTE]
  • I heard rumors that the producers did crazy things to make the brides flip out if they weren't entertaining/dramatic enough--like cancel a vendor or tell a vendor to show up at a different time (late, I would assume). There is no way I would want a camera crew to chronicle me while adding unnecessary stress to an already stressful situation days before or on my wedding day. Or to be made to look like a complete fool, forever burned into the memory of the dregs of reality TV hell. F that.
  • So they have the vendors mess up on purpose?! Oh no! That would make me cry more than be mean. Lol I would be crying a lot on that show if was me.
  • I've heard it's only $2,500.  PP are right, it's not a viable option for paying for a wedding.  I have to admit I'm addicted to the show and have seen every episode. Yes they're all batsh!t crazy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah I have heard rumors that its 2500 to 4000 and a video of the wedding. I really hope that isn't true. I mean come on with aa popular as the show is they should at least shell out 10k for all the madness lol
  • The show is on WEa minor cable network with minimal ratings. The show has a relatively small budget. Even shows on networks with bigger audiences only average about 5k, if they pay at all. Obviously they aren't hurting to find participants willing to do it for 2500. And if there isn't enough drama happening 'in real life' then yes, the producers will find a way to make something happen.
  • edited December 2012
    Oh man that's not enough smh. I rather just save some extra cash then to do that lol. I watched a few more episodes and I was wrong, there are some expensive weddings, which makes me wonder why they would come out on the show making a fool of themselves for no real money? 0_
  • When I first watched the show the brides seems legitimately frustrated and angry. As if no one was helping them. I kind of sympathized with them.

But now,it seems as if these women become enraged because the wind blew the wrong way. It's crazy!!! There was an episode where the bride had a boxing match with her future MIL, burned the recently purchased shoes of one of her bridemaids because "they weren't the right color" and just through a fit if someone didn't drop down and kiss her feet (I exaggerate a little there)

The show is one "WOW, OMG" person after the other. So, it would make sense that they are being compensated just to amp up rating.
    An animator and a writer are planning a wedding, it will be an epic graphic novel.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridezilla-show-compensation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:94262a3a-584a-49dd-b4d2-9d9540cd6e8cPost:3f017f90-d554-4c1a-88e2-d3919469f27b">Re: Bridezilla show compensation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was an episode where the bride had a boxing match with her future MIL, burned the recently purchased shoes of one of her bridemaids because "they weren't the right color" and just through a fit if someone didn't drop down and kiss her feet (<strong>I exaggerate a little there</strong>)
    Posted by Gammaderson[/QUOTE]
    No you don't. I saw that episode and that chick was completely and utterly cray-cray.

• edited December 2012
    Wow... I can't believe these women are really like that smh. I still think they are acting to a certain extent but its not for the money if it is under 5k. They must geniunely enjoy being bridezillas lol
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah, unless it's like 2 million dollars, no way am I going to make myself a butt on national TV (though sometimes WipeOut IS tempting...)

I remember one episode, the bride was stone cold hardcore about being an alcoholic.  She was the worst kind, screaming and becoming combative and belligerant with people while drinking.  At the end of the wedding, she was literally standing in the parking lot and SCREAMING at people who were trying to attend a funeral.  Yeah.... the police were called.

I think the episode ended with her peeing on her own dress because she was so wasted.... klassy.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Ok ladies I finally got the answer straight from the casting department of the bridezillas show! Lol I sent them an email and just asked what the compensation was and they said that they pay most brides 3000 to be on the show. Now we all know! I can't believe it's that little. I was hoping they would at least pay them 5k lol
  • Wedding rings on the guys??

Has anyone else noticed that, before the wedding, the guys/grooms already have their wedding rings on? I tried looking online for answers, but no one else has seemed to notice. LOL. Are they tapping after the wedding, and staging scenes to appear it's planning? I don't understand why they have their rings on already. I've noticed almost every episode too. Any thoughts?
    Janette

• If it's paid on a 1099 first you pay about 13.5% self employment tax on it and then you pay your normal tax bracket amount on top of that. I pay about 24% on my income, whereas if I made the same amount working for someone else it would be 15%ish. It sucks.

There isn't enough money in the world to convince me to go on national TV and behave like that with everyone watching.  Nope. Nope. Nope.
  • Okay, I will admit that Bridezillas is a guilty pleasure of mine. However, I would never want to be on that show, no matter how much money was offered to me. I would hate to be walking down the street and have people recognize me as the bride that went BSC on television. 

That being said, I hope a lot of the behaviors are staged, or as pps said "provoked" by the producers. I remember one where the future husband didn't want to pay for a cake and offered to make one. Sadly, he "forgot" and wound up buying a birthday cake from the grocery store with the words "I'm sorry" written on it. The bride who was  a producer for the show actually threw her teacup yorkie into the cake...it was definitely a cringeworthy moment. 
  • Oh boy, thread necromancy again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards