Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Mermaid Dress

Hi,

I found a mermaid dress that I absolutely LOVE and it looks great on (I've attached a pic) but I don't know if it's going to be comfortable to wear on the day of or super restrictive. The lady at the store says it is sort of restictive but not so much where I have trouble walking. The one I'm trying on is clearly not my size, so it's hard for me to tell. Has anyone wore a mermaid style dress for their wedding and have any opinions about it? I'm getting married on the beach in the Caribbean. Help???

Re: Mermaid Dress

• Options
    Even though is not your size, the dress looks amazing on you! I would take a few or as many steps as possible to see if you think that you would be able to walk comfortably. If you feel you cant then I would go with a dropped wait dress. They are very similar in looks but the dropped waist gives you so much more leg room. 
  • Options
    dont know about movement, but sh*t that dress looks good on you!  love it!
  • Options
    WOW! You look great in it! Even though it's not your size i'm sure they can alter it to fit you. I think it will be perfect for a beach wedding. I'm sure they can let the dress out some so you can be more comfortable in it. I plan to wear a mermaid style dress as well Smile
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    that looks a lot like my dress! is it watters? The style of that dress is technically called " fit to flare" and is a LOT less restrictive than a traditional mermaid. A traditional mermaid tapers at the knee or below which makes it really difficult to take big steps or sit down. A fit to flare usually tapers at the mid thigh so that  your knees are still able to seperate when you walk which is a lot more comfortable. Good luck, the dress looks so pretty on you!
  • Options
    The dress does look fabulous on you.  I'd suggest taking a good walk around the store and try sitting down.  Try to walk as normally as possible and see how much it restricts your stride.  I think it'd be fine, though, so long as you're not planning on trying to sit down on the sand :o)
  • Options
    WOW, that style of dress was made for you!!
    You look fabulous in it!
    If the back is laced and you are worried about feeling constricted, you may ask your MOH to loosen up the laces before supper. That's what I'm going to do.
  • Options
    As it flares above the knees, it should be fine to walk around in and sit and all of that.

My dress is very fitted on top with ruching and corset, and is fitted through my hips/thighs where it flares out my knees into a floor-length trumpet skirt. I have no problem walking around in it, dancing a little jig, and sitting. It's form fitting, but feels no different than some more form fitting cocktail dresses or evening gowns I have worn!
  • Options
    I also got a mermaid dress and asked about the comfort/walking issue, they told me at the store, I could have a seamstress alter it on the inside a little without changing the outside appearance to make it a bit more moveable, something to ask about with your seamstress anyway.  I plan to do this in hopes that it makes it more comfortable for dancing/etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards