Maine

Guys attire...need your input!

Hey guys!  I'm excited I found this board!  Go Mainers!
So this is my dilemma...and i need some input and opinions/suggestions

We are getting married Sept 17, 2010 and Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth, then reception at Camp Ketcha in Scarborough.  So it is a casual, but nice not too fancy wedding.  

My colors are a pink- bright, not too bright fushia pink and yellow

My bridesmaids are wearing these dressing from DB 
They picked them out and love them so fine with me!

ANYWAY!
The problem: my fiance does NOT want to wear a tux or suit, ok fine, but then him and his guys prefer to wear black pants.  My problem is deciding on their shirts/ties.  My fiance prefers not to wear just a white shirt and does not want to wear a plan colored tie.  (he wanted to wear a baby pink shirt, but i do not think that would go at all!) So a pattern or striped tie is a must.  I can not find the bright pink shirts to match the pink in the girls dresses. I found a white shirt with a light and bright pink strip, but would the strip shirt and the pattern dressing be too much pattern???
what about if the guys wore a yellow shirt and a pink pattern or strip tie????  the girls are going to have yellow flowers...

or should i just make him wear a white shirt and a tie??  which will make me feel bad since i love my dress and he may not looove what he is wearing!  

Hope someone can help me solve this tricky situation!  it's the perfect time to get this stuff its prom season!

Re: Guys attire...need your input!

• edited December 2011
    Hey guys!  I'm excited I found this board!  Go Mainers!
    So this is my dilemma...and i need some input and opinions/suggestions

We are getting married Sept 17, 2010 and Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth, then reception at Camp Ketcha in Scarborough.  So it is a casual, but nice not too fancy wedding.  

My bridesmaids are wearing these dressing from DB 
    They picked them out and love them so fine with me!

ANYWAY!
    The problem: my fiance does NOT want to wear a tux or suit, ok fine, but then him and his guys prefer to wear black pants.  My problem is deciding on their shirts/ties.  My fiance prefers not to wear just a white shirt and does not want to wear a plan colored tie.  (he wanted to wear a baby pink shirt, but i do not think that would go at all!) So a pattern or striped tie is a must.  I can not find the bright pink shirts to match the pink in the girls dresses. I found a white shirt with a light and bright pink strip, but would the strip shirt and the pattern dressing be too much pattern???
    what about if the guys wore a yellow shirt and a pink pattern or strip tie????  the girls are going to have yellow flowers...

or should i just make him wear a white shirt and a tie??  which will make me feel bad since i love my dress and he may not looove what he is wearing!  

Hope someone can help me solve this tricky situation!  it's the perfect time to get this stuff its prom season!
  • edited December 2011
    aww why did it cut it off?!  
    oh and the girls dresses are in that pink color...
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry this is my first ever post and i wanted to try it again..

We are getting married Sept 17, 2010 at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth, then reception at Camp Ketcha in Scarborough.  So it is a casual, but nice not too fancy wedding.  
    My bridesmaids are wearing these dressing from DB http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=3001604&currentIdx=67&subCategory=-49998976%257c3001465%257c3001604&catentryId=6097399&sort=They picked them out and love them so fine with me!
    ANYWAY!The problem: my fiance does NOT want to wear a tux or suit, ok fine, but then him and his guys prefer to wear black pants. My problem is deciding on their shirts/ties.  My fiance prefers not to wear just a white shirt and does not want to wear a plan colored tie.  (he wanted to wear a baby pink shirt, but i do not think that would go at all!) So a pattern or striped tie is a must.  I can not find the bright pink shirts to match the pink in the girls dresses. I found a white shirt with a light and bright pink strip, but would the strip shirt and the pattern dressing be too much pattern???what about if the guys wore a yellow shirt and a pink pattern or strip tie????  the girls are going to have yellow flowers...
    or should i just make him wear a white shirt and a tie??  which will make me feel bad since i love my dress and he may not looove what he is wearing!  
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have to see an example to give my opinion. Im off to google & Ill be back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ok so the yellow shirt may be a problem with complexions. It might wash them out & make them look ill in pictures. I like the idea of it but Im afraid of how it would actually come out.

I think the striped shirt with a yellow tie would look nice because you can get a tie with a small print would look nice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think maybe a yellow shirt & pink tie might be a little too...easter egg? I am not trying to say anything bad about your wedding colors (those were my second choice combo actually!) but just as two colors on guys...might not be the best. I would choose a third color for them to wear, or stick to pink or yellow & keep the shirt and tie combo in the same color family. :)
  • jena.n.rossjena.n.ross member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of guys in black pants, a white shirt (or ivory, whatever your dress is), and a vest with a tie.  Still dressy, but not too fussy.

Be careful not to go overboard.  I think a bright shirt with a bold patterned vest/tie will be very overwhelming.  Ditto Mainemommy on the yellow being hard for many skin tones/photos.  

Depending on how narrow the strip is, and how much white to color ratio they are, you could get away with a contrasting tie.  Two different patterns are okay, as long as one is the bold and the other is fairly subtle.  

Can you find a picture of the shirt online to show us?

FYI: the text in your first post didn't wrap properly because of the big messy link you posted.  To fix this you have two options (other than hitting enter after short bits like you did): use tinyurl.com to shorten the links, or highlight an appropriate word and hit the "insert link" button next to the smiley face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

• edited December 2011

I think black pants, white shirt & a bright pink tie would be nice, and yellow boutonniere? That way they ties match the dresses, the yellows incorporated and the guys are happy.  Just my two cents.  Hope it helps!

• edited December 2011
    Love that dress!

I agree, bright pink or yellow shirts would be a little too much. Why doesn't your FI want to wear a white shirt? Honestly, I think that's your best bet. That striped shirt mainemommy found was nice, but the stripes are offset by the jacket over it...if all the guys are in striped shirts with nothing over them, it may be a little too much, especially since the girls have patterned dresses. A white shirt with a yellow and/or pink tie would be great.

If he really doesn't want to wear a white shirt, what about gray/pewter? Still a neutral color, but would look great with pink or yellow. Pink and gray are great together, though I'd probably tone done the color of the guy's tie just a smidge from the girls' dresses. Since the dresses aren't solid pink, a slight variation in the color of the guys' ties won't be noticeable to anyone.

Sounds like my FI...he picked out a bright blue shirt and bright yellow tie...I talked him out of it :) It's definitely important that he be comfortable in what he wears, but hopefully you can find a compromise you're both happy about!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Wow thanks everyone for your input.  I never thought of the yellow looking bad for skin tones and pictures.  All the guys work out doors and will have awesome tans, but i do not want yellow shirts to look like an easter egg or look bad in pictures!  

ok so this is one of the shirts i found the other one is very similar.  If you can't see it good it has a bright pink like the dresses and then lighter pink strips as well.  
    So what do you think?  too much with stripe shirt and pattern dress or good combo? or would white shirt and pink tie be better?

I think i could convince my FI to wear a white shirt, but find one with a white on white stripe. If nothing else works out.  

• edited December 2011

IDK I like the the solid white personally.  If you are looking for a white on white strip Kohls has one that my FI loves! He wears a shirt & tie to work everyday and that particular shirt is his favorite (he has it in a couple different colors)! And they are usually pretty cheap & Kohls has GREAT deals! Love Kohls! Hope it helps!

• edited December 2011
    I personally think this shirt would be a bit much with patterned dresses. I think that guys attire is really to blend well, not to stand out.

Another option is that FI could wear the striped shirt, and the rest of the guys could wear white. Your FI will be standing with you mostly, not with the bridesmaids, so it won't look too busy that way. And most grooms like to have something different to distinguish themselves anyways. That could be a good compromise! Plus, that would keep your groomsmen happy, who may already own a white shirt and/or not want to spend money on a striped shirt they may not wear again.

GL!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Arrow Satin Twill Solid Point Collar Dress Shirt

This is the shirt I was talking about that's white on white... Maybe your FI could wear one color tie and the groomsmen could wear another? Then they'd be different but could fall in the same color or pattern?  Mabye you could luck out and find the same tie (one in pink and then again in yellow) with the same pattern! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    wellp fail. won't do that again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards