Destination Weddings Discussions

Dad gifts

Okay ladies I need some ideas.  I have small gifts bought for both the moms, and we have a nice private dinner planned for FMIL & FFIL in St Lucia (they've helped us alot with the wedding) but now I need something to give the dads.

Matt and I are both stumped as to what to get them.  Just something small under 50.00.  

Help me!

Re: Dad gifts

• I'm in the same freaking boat.  FI has no idea what to get his mom and step dad...but they're not that close, so I'm like great, it's just like xmas...no idea at all. 
  • I dont have a dad, but i do have an uncle, and he's giving me away.   Everything out there for gifts is for parents, so obvs i had a hard time finding a gift.   He's also very low maintenance and literally has everything.   so...this is what imma do. 

I'm going to get a nice, dual picture frame.   I took a picture from my christening of him holding me, and I had the photo restored, and enlarged a bit.   Then Ill get a print of a pic of him walking me down the aisle.  Im going to put them side by side in the frame.   I want to engrave something, maybe the dates of each event.  Not sure yet. 

I wont be able to give it to him until after the wedding, but i thought it would be nicer then a pocket watch or grill kit. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_dad-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:35c9ca1c-c51a-4bb9-8a78-8b95da6e940dPost:078f70a2-8ade-4927-b5ea-2e82e404dfc8">Re: Dad gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont have a dad, but i do have an uncle, and he's giving me away.   Everything out there for gifts is for parents, so obvs i had a hard time finding a gift.   He's also very low maintenance and literally has everything.   so...this is what imma do.  I'm going to get a nice, dual picture frame.   I took a picture from my christening of him holding me, and I had the photo restored, and enlarged a bit.   Then Ill get a print of a pic of him walking me down the aisle.  Im going to put them side by side in the frame.   I want to engrave something, maybe the dates of each event.  Not sure yet.  I wont be able to give it to him until after the wedding, but i thought it would be nicer then a pocket watch or grill kit. 
    Posted by nessi979[/QUOTE]

<div>This is really sweet! I love this idea. </div>
  • I am doing joint parent gifts for the FILs, mom/stepdad, and dad/stepmom so it isn't necessarily a "dad" gift, but I am framing prints of our custom wedding map, and also giving them all a gift certificate to their favorite restaurants.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_dad-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:35c9ca1c-c51a-4bb9-8a78-8b95da6e940dPost:078f70a2-8ade-4927-b5ea-2e82e404dfc8">Re: Dad gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont have a dad, but i do have an uncle, and he's giving me away.   Everything out there for gifts is for parents, so obvs i had a hard time finding a gift.   He's also very low maintenance and literally has everything.   so...this is what imma do.  I'm going to get a nice, dual picture frame.   I took a picture from my christening of him holding me, and I had the photo restored, and enlarged a bit.   Then Ill get a print of a pic of him walking me down the aisle.  Im going to put them side by side in the frame.   I want to engrave something, maybe the dates of each event.  Not sure yet.  I wont be able to give it to him until after the wedding, but i thought it would be nicer then a pocket watch or grill kit. 

Love it!  So much more meaningful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_dad-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:35c9ca1c-c51a-4bb9-8a78-8b95da6e940dPost:078f70a2-8ade-4927-b5ea-2e82e404dfc8">Re: Dad gifts</a>:

I love that too... very personal.

I had a custom mat made for my dad's picture frame with a quote on it about dad's that I love.  Then I put a picture of him holding me when I was a baby in it.  I can add one from the wedding later.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • My dad and I are exactly alike. We both love photography, open fields,  playing guitar and butterflies are our kind of connection.. our "thing" if you will. So I'm going to take a picture in an open field of the guitar he bought me with a butterfly sitting on it (it'll be a prop butterfly... not real) Then I'm going to photoshop the lyrics to Mr. Jones (the first song we ever played all the way through together) over the photograph in a very faint colour. 

FI will be giving his step father a key to every house they have lived in framed in a shadow box with  "I'll always know where home is" engraved into the frame. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imageimage
  • I found a really inexpensive frame for my dad from Hallmark that says Daddy I will always be your little girl.  I am going to put a picture of him and I when I was little and then after the wedding give him a picture of the 2 of us.  It is small enough he can take it with him when he goes overseas. 

I am also trying to do hankerchiefs which I am going to have to order tonight before it is too late!! To have sitting on their seats.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards