Attire & Accessories Forum

Does the Dress fit the Venue?

I've been dreaming of this specific bluff in Malibu for our ceremony, followed by a reception under the trees below the bluff - all near the ocean.  I've also figured I would always wear a very simple, beachy dress.  However, on a whim, yesterday my mother and I went shopping and after a handful of flowy dresses, I tried on this Maggie Sottero and fell in love. 

Uth oh.  My question, is does this (in my opinion) over-the-top dress that I always used to poke fun at, fit my venue?  I'd love everyone's thoughts b/c it was only my first day of dress shopping and I really want the dress to match the venue well so I'm okay with going back to the drawing board if it does not.

Here's what the bluff looks like

and here's what the reception will be like (candle lit tables, twinkle lights, etc)-

Thank you!

Re: Does the Dress fit the Venue?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-fit-venue-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:0fe29701-b0aa-43af-8911-1b825d1a8981Post:6360fcd3-26cc-4dac-8ad0-ea7af9a5db07">Re: Does the Dress fit the Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As PP mentioned, it is a bit formal for the venue, which is why I answered no. That said, why does it have to fit the venue??? That's like the girls who say they want to match their colors to the colors of the church/reception hall. Just go with what you like and what makes you feel like a million bucks! Just don't do it now. Wait until you're a lot closer. Everything will make much more sense when it's closer.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

All of this! I was worried when I found my dress that it's too formal for my ceremony venue, and it is too formal. But I know it's MY dress, and I love it. I remember standing in my dress saying, "It's not going to go with the venue, but I don't care because I LOVE it!" And I bought that dress. Also, wait to buy it! I bought mine a year before my wedding which was a little earlier than I would have liked, but I know it's the dress. I would wait until AT LEAST a year before your wedding to buy your dress.
  • Love the venue... so beautiful and romantic.  My view is that a more simple dress will be better for the venue.. but since your wedding only held in 2013.. you've plenty of time to look around... don't need to make decision now...
  • Keep looking. I actually found a dress I loved, but it totally didn't fit the vibe of my wedding. I ended up finding one I like even more that does work with our casual outdoor vibe. But if I was having a reception in a ball room I would have totally bought that other dress.

There's no rule that you have to match, but getting married on the beach in a ball gown is probably going to look a bit odd.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards