Catholic Weddings

NFP Newbie

I'm located in Morris County, NJ and trying to figure out the best way to learn NFP.

I know there are a few different methods. I'm healthy and almost in my mid twenties, I feel like my body is pretty regular every month and only occassionally goes out of wack. My periods tend to last 6 days every month, and I always get it every 28-30 days. I think my body is pretty clear on when I'm ovulating, but really it's just a guess, because I haven't really needed to know. But I am pretty senistive naturally to what's happening, so I think I'll be able to get the hang of things.

Right now I have a consistent schedule getting up for work every morning around the same time, etc. My only concern with temperatures is that when I get married, my routine will change a bit. Am I fine setting an alarm and then going back to sleep once I take my temp on days I may want to sleep in? What happens if I have to wake earlier than usual?

I know not all methods used temperatures. I feel pretty lost as to where to start! I'm having trouble locating actual classes. Everything seems to be online or via correspondence. Is this good enough? I have about 7 months until my wedding and would like to feel confident by then!

Thank you for any advice you may have. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NFP Newbie

• Am I fine setting an alarm and then going back to sleep once I take my temp on days I may want to sleep in? What happens if I have to wake earlier than usual?
    Yes.  That's what I did when I used STM.  I think the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility has some info on what to do if you miss a temp. every now and then.  Keep in mind that mucus is the primary fertility sign, temperature is sort of a "confirmation" of what your mucus is telling you.

I feel pretty lost as to where to start! I'm having trouble locating actual classes. Everything seems to be online or via correspondence. Is this good enough?
    I don't know about online classes, but many girls on this board are self-taught using the book I mentioned above.  You can also go to www.ccli.org or www.boma-usa.org to find classes for some methods!

Please don't feel shy about asking questions!  Lots of girls on here are very, very knowledgeable (we even have at least one instructor-in-training) and happy to help!
    Anniversary

• Thank you for the info. I will purcahse the book right away. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We found a class through http://www.ccli.org/.  I found it really helpful to actually take the class in person, and I think it was particularly helpful for getting FI involved.  Our teaching couple wove in a lot of theology and practical experience with the actual method, which launched a lot of great discussions between me and FI.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd just like to add fertilitycare.com to the list -- it's the Creighton method site. You might also have luck finding instructors through omsoul.com or through the appropriate office (marriage and family life or the like) of your diocese.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great advice from everyone above. I'd also suggest you check out the thread from yesterday or the day before on this page about NFP if you haven't already. The original question was about choosing which method to use and some of the info might help you decide as well.

As Prof mentioned, Taking Charge of Your Fertility (or TCOYF as you'll see it referred to basically everywhere) is a great place to start for the basics and it's pretty easy to self-teach from the book. You may want to have the added benefit of having a teacher as well to ask some questions and it's possible that your marriage prep will require you to take an actual NFP class (I don't know if you know the specifics of your prep yet or not). My parish didn't require a class, but others in my area did.

All the websites mentioned above can help you locate a teacher in your area and give you more info about the methods, too. I've gotta say, the BOMA website is not much to look at but it gets the job done, I guess :) If you'd like more information about the method itself (Billings, that is), the international site is a little more in-depth (http://www.woomb.org) (clicky)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My book arrived today! (haven't opened it yet because I'm stuck at work)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I feel a little more confident after reading everyone's positive feelings about NFP. I'm sure it'll take some practice, but will be entirely worth it. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Update: Got my book yesterday, and read it for 3 straight hours tonight. I skipped around a little bit when it started to go into things I didn't need to know right now. I think the most difficult thing may be determing the different discharge consistencies. (learning what's just wetness, whats  more fertile, etc) I've been pretty aware of my body's changes throughout the month, now I think I'll just be more informed and have a better understanding.
     I did relate to the author talking about not understanding aches, twinges, discharges that are normal. Would have saved me some worrying and a trip to the dr who only tried to push birth control on a virgin. (ughhh)

Charting looks a tad daunting because I always hated graphs and charts in school. :P
    My edition did come with a link to download a program, which I think I will try. I don't think it will be too difficult once I do my first chart and become more familiar with my body.

From what I gathered tonight, it may be easiest to start at my next period?

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thank you ladies for giving me somewhere to start. I feel less overwhelmed now. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you're doing STM, it is best to start at the start of your next period.

If you have a smartphone, there are tons of apps you can download to chart electronically, although many people will argue you should chart on paper at least for one cycle so that you know how to interpret it on your own, without the help of a program.

It took me a few cycles (and changing methods) to really feel comfortable, so just be patient and you will definitely get the hang of it!
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards