Honeymoon Discussions

Recommendation for Oahu and Big Island?

Hi ladies,
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on where to stay in Oahu and Big Island. We are slowly planning for our honeymoon and decided to fly to Oahu first and stay there for 3-4 days... then hop over the Big Island for 7 days... there are so many information about them and their hotels and resorts in both islands and i feel like information-overload... so i rather ask for first-hand experience from you :)

As for Oahu, we dont have to stay in Honolulu, but dont mind it either...any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Recommendation for Oahu and Big Island?

• What type of hotel are you looking for?

When I went to Oahu, we stayed at the Aston Waikiki, which is a typical large hotel/resort.  However, when we went to the Big Island, we stayed in a timeshare/condo property called the Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village which was more like an apartment complex.

My H and I really don't care about high end hotels and we tend to like more home-y feeling stays, so I actually preferred the condo (plus it had a full kitchen, so it was nice to be able to cook some meals).  But what works for me may not work for you.

Other than my personal experience, tripadvisor is by far the best travel resource for choosing not only hotels, but activities and restaurants as well.  I highly recommend checking it out and figuring out what type of place you are wanting to stay in.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    For Oahu, I'd recommend going up to the North Shore (there is one resort up there--Turtle Bay--which is wonderful!). If you go during the surfing down season, beaches are not busy at all, and they are absolutely gorgeous! Eat lunch at a shrimp truck on the side of the road and stop to shop in some of the small towns up there.

Waikik is fun though too, just much busier and more commercialized. Hotels we liked while walking through: Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef, and the Royal Hawaiian. We were there for a week, so with only 3-4 days, I'd recommend:

-Pearl Harbor. Get there EARLY! The Arizona Memorial is free but some of the other things there cost money.
    -Hike Diamond Head. Overall it's not a tough hike but the view from the top is wonderful!
    -If you've ever wanted to take a surf lesson, here would be the place to do it (I did not, but we saw lots of them going on and it looked fun).
    -Polynesian Cultural Center if you're interested in that. We enjoyed it, but if I went back, I probably wouldn't go again. it's one of those things you really only need to see once. They do have a cool show there at night, though.

For dinner, I'd recommend Duke's in the Outrigger Hotel on Waikiki (it's more casual, but delicious food!)

Never been to the BI, but our friends just got back a few weeks ago and loved it. I can ask them more specifics.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• for the big island, the hilton waikoloa village is amazing! lots of things to do there and has free shuttles to near by shops 

as for things to do there, you can hike the volcanoes,and some of the best snorkeling is off mauna kea and captain cooks bay these are are on the kona side of the island.

on the hilo side, there is rainbow falls, and some beautiful botanic gardens.
     i bought a travel guid on the islans on things to do while your there on amazon.
    hope this helps
  • On the Big Island, the Mauna Kea beach hotel is amazing and very romantic http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/mauna-kea-beach-hotel/

I've been to other hotels like Sheratons and Hiltons as well and they are fine but they are often filled with children or at least many more children than some other spots. I had no encounters with children at the mauna kea. 
    Anniversary
  • We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahua on a trip and enjoyed it, although it did seem more family oriented so may not be as good of a choice if you are looking to avoid kids and crowds and the north shore of Oahu might be a better option.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Also, while you are on Oahu, get some Dole Whip!!  They have it at the Dole Plantation, obviously, but also in the food court of the International Marketplace on Waikiki.
    Anniversary
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012

Definitely get a car on the Big Island,  as there is o much to explore.  We've gone around the entire island several times and discover new stuff each time!

For something a little different from the Kona side, try Kehena Beach and stay at the secluded, beautiful and romantic Bali Cottage (http://www.thebalicottage.com/). Very modern amenities in the cottage, and a private outdoor jacuzzi and outdoor kitchen.  Just across the beach from the black sand clothing optional Kehena Beach.  Two miles away, there is fresh lava flow and tours available.  Five miles away are the geo thermal hot ponds.  For day trips, head to Puna Lu for a public black sand beach where you can spend the day and are sure to see many turtles.  Visit the painted Church near Cook's Point.  If you're into hiking, the rare green sand beach is a 2- mile hike, also on the south side of the BI.

In Hilo, visit Rainbow Falls, the botanic Gardens, Akaka Falls and do the 4-mile scenic drive on the way back.

Just East of Kona, go horseback riding in the valley with the Paniolos (descendants of original Hawaiian cowboys.

We spent 3 weeks on the Big Island last year and never ran out of things to do, see, and explore! 

We've also spent a lot of time in Honolulu.  Last year we decided to finally quell our curiosity and stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  yikes!  Noisy kids and families everywhere-- even in the adult only pool, we paid extra to stay near!  The grounds are nice but it was a bit like staying in a shopping mall and all the restaurants on-site were over-priced and uninteresting.  Also, I would say they have the lest best section of Waikiki Beach.  Though you should definitely go there for Lappert's ice cream  :-) 

Outrigger Waikiki has a great section of beach, as does the Ala Moana but you'll find in general, the beach area will be packed because there is so little sandy area due to erosion.  As someone else mentioned, it is a great place for beginner surf lessons.

If you're there on a Friday night, hit Sensai for half-price yummy sushi :-)  Enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards