Wedding Party

Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show

My sister-in-law is a bridesmaid in our month-away wedding and she just told me she is 5 weeks pregnant. I'm very excited for her and my brother and I can't wait to be an aunt. However, I found this out the night before my bachelorette party and bridal shower this past weekend. The day of, she spent the whole time sitting around, showing up late, not helping clean up or set-up, telling everyone she could she's pregnant and talking about her plans for the new baby. At my shower and party! I can't help feeling a little upset. She is very self-centered and princess-y and I've had trouble dealing with this in the past. I don't want to hurt my brother so whenever she has a total "look-at-me, cater-to-me" moment I smile and do my best to bite my tongue and walk away if need be. While her pregnancy is very exciting news, I can't help but feeling like she could've been a little more helpful and less self-centered, and perhaps she stole some of my thunder. I've got a chip on my shoulder and I'm having a hard time getting it off. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Thanks! This wedding is making me a little crazy! :)

Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:d4416dac-70a5-40bc-a34d-ef29f061ef0a">Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister-in-law is a bridesmaid in our month-away wedding and she just told me she is 5 weeks pregnant. I'm very excited for her and my brother and I can't wait to be an aunt. However, I found this out the night before my bachelorette party and bridal shower this past weekend. The day of, she spent the whole time sitting around, showing up late, not helping clean up or set-up, telling everyone she could she's pregnant and talking about her plans for the new baby. At my shower and party! I can't help feeling a little upset. She is very self-centered and princess-y and I've had trouble dealing with this in the past. I don't want to hurt my brother so whenever she has a total "look-at-me, cater-to-me" moment I smile and do my best to bite my tongue and walk away if need be. While her pregnancy is very exciting news, I can't help but feeling like she could've been a little more helpful and less self-centered, and perhaps she stole some of my thunder. I've got a chip on my shoulder and I'm having a hard time getting it off. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks! This wedding is making me a little crazy! :)
    Posted by h1lloyd[/QUOTE]
    No, it's YOU who's being self-centered.  A baby is a bigger deal than a wedding.  <div>
    </div><div>I think pregnant women should be given a pass on manual labour/clean-up.  It's not her job to help out, anyway.</div><div>
    </div><div>These are thoughts you shouldn't even be having in the first place, but since I agree you're going crazy, just hold thy tongue.  You'll find people aren't so forgiving about this sort of thing.  It's very self-centered and princess-y to complain that someone else is stealing attention from you and your wedding.  You get one day.  You will get your one day.  But that day is not today.</div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Okay, step back, take a deep breath, maybe take a bath to help you calm down and think clearly.

She is having a baby.  It is big news, she is allowed to talk about it with others.  She is not stealing your thunder and she is not being self centered.  Others are allowed to have lives that don't revolve around your wedding.

My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Ditto Brooke.  I can understand being a little upset if she's the kind of person who does stuff like that all the time, but baby will always trump wedding.  On your wedding day, no one will mistake her for the center of attention.  Keep smiling and holding your tongue. 

Generally, I think it's ok to have the feelings for a couple minutes, but you have to get over it.  And definitely don't say anything about it, or you will cause much more unnecessary drama.   
  • Dude that is your niece or nephew in there - be happy - be grateful.  By the time your wedding comes around she will be fat and grumpy because she can't drink and you will be having a fabulous time.  Seriously - stop the negative vibes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i can understand your feelings however i think they are WRONG! my moh just found out she is pregnant around the time of our parties and of course she talks about it,. she cant come to my bachelorette party etc. i have had the occasional thought of being a little jealous like you, but you must just blow these thoughts off. she is having a baby and i am so excited for her!! to feel any differently about it is just wrong
  • Think about when you first got engaged.  I'm sure you were busting at the seams with wanting to let everyone know.  I'm sure this is how she's feeling.  Just breathe and try to remember that this is an exciting time for the both of you.  If she's always been a self centered person then she's going to be even more so during her pregnancy.  Just try to grin through it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow, thank you for putting me in my place!
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In short - grow up.  A baby is something anyone is going to get excited about and she may have been telling everyone in order to keep them from wondering why she wasn't helping.  From what I understand your hormones are going like a pinball game in you body during the first tri-mester and you feel like garbage most of the time.

If you were anything like me, when you first got engaged, you could turn any conversation into a wedding conversation.  We all have our moments of annoying others unintentionally, this is just your turn on the receiving end.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:919576cd-9e58-4a4a-a980-5e5719d6bdf1">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, thank you for putting me in my place!
    Props to OP for seeing the light!
  • jagore:  exactly my thoughts.  OP was, I'm guessing,  telling proposal stories to everyone and anyone who would listen during that first blush of being engaged.  Then came discussions about wedding planning:  colors, venues, flowers, cake, dresses, honeymoon, and more.

Of course, your SIL was talking about being pregnant.  It's a huge deal.  Especially when it's your first.  (But it's a huge deal everytime!)

OP:  You have two options here.  You can pout and talk about someone "stealing your thunder" and everyone will judge you.  Poorly.

OR

you can embrace the excitement that is happening within your family now.  A wedding AND a new baby. 

You can be the excited aunt-to-be or the pouty bride-to-be.  Which is a prettier choice?  Actually, I'm wrong:  you can be the excited aunt/bride-to-be. 

Finally:  you can't control what other people do/say.  You can only control how you respond to their actions.  Your decision.

Congrats on becoming an auntie.  It is soooooooooooooooooooo wonderful!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:f7fc6f6f-394b-4f42-b139-d166019d2d56">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show : Props to OP for seeing the light!
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

Ditto - she posted while I was writing.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:d4416dac-70a5-40bc-a34d-ef29f061ef0a">Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister-in-law is a bridesmaid in our month-away wedding and she just told me she is 5 weeks pregnant. I'm very excited for her and my brother and I can't wait to be an aunt. However, I found this out the night before my bachelorette party and bridal shower this past weekend. The day of, she spent the whole time sitting around, showing up late, not helping clean up or set-up, telling everyone she could she's pregnant and talking about her plans for the new baby. At my shower and party! I can't help feeling a little upset. She is very self-centered and princess-y and I've had trouble dealing with this in the past. I don't want to hurt my brother so whenever she has a total "look-at-me, cater-to-me" moment I smile and do my best to bite my tongue and walk away if need be. While her pregnancy is very exciting news, I can't help but feeling like she could've been a little more helpful and less self-centered, and perhaps she stole some of my thunder. I've got a chip on my shoulder and I'm having a hard time getting it off. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks! This wedding is making me a little crazy! :)

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><strong><font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">Okay so she’s a little excited about the baby.<span>  </span>Of course she is telling everyone about the baby. She can tell anyone what she wants and that is not your business.<span> 

</span>Coming on here to complain about her not helping set up or clean up in pretty petty.<span>  </span>She doesn’t have comply to your every demand.<span>  </span>I am sure other bm’s were there to set up and clean up.<span>  </span>It doesn’t take an army to get the job done.<span> 

</span>It doesn’t matter that it is “your party”.<span>  </span>People at parties are not there to talk all about you.<span>  </span>They are there to mingle and catch up and talk about what is new in their life.

<span>  </span>I am soo sorry that they weren’t talking about you the whole time and about your wedding which is over a month away.<span>  </span>You get one day, not a whole month leading up to it.<span> 

</span>You’re the one who is self-centered and princess.<span>  </span>Her talking about her baby only shows her excitement about the new member of her family.<span>  </span>Any excited mother would do the same.<span>  </span>She is not gonna remain hush about it.<span>  </span>

Bridesmaids can talk about whatever they want at a bachelorette including where they got their dress they are wearing today, how they did their hair like that.. therefore being self-centered and all about them to your standards….soooo why can’t someone talk about a baby??? Really.<span> 

</span>Also about her not being helpful, did you ask for her to help?? She is not a mind reader after all! If she sees other bridesmaids are taking control, she might as well assume it’s all under control.<span>  </span>Like I said, if you or other bm’s REALLLLLY needed so much help, they would have asked.<span> 

</span>I think it all was under control though so what are you whining about.<span>  </span>Ooohhh stole your thunder?? Really.. awww too bad, I feel so bad she stole your thunder from you.. poor you

I feel sorry that you felt that way that your FSIl was talking about her upcoming baby at "your party".. wow</font></strong></p>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:f7fc6f6f-394b-4f42-b139-d166019d2d56">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show : Props to OP for seeing the light!
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]
    I concur!  Try to look at this as a positive--you're both going through big life changes at the same time.  Be happy for her, not annoyed.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Peony, you should really read through the entire thread before you respond...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:e79d13ea-0f43-4966-a6e5-4a180bbe3569">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peony, you should really read through the entire thread before you respond...
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, you really seem to jump down practically every girl's throat who posts on this board in a non-constructive way. 
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yeah, while I issue kudos to OP for seeing that she's being a little crazy and not going diva about this...

... and while obviously if FSIL just found out about her pregnancy and is all excited, it's forefront in her mind and she's going to be talking about it incessantly, the same way some brides have trouble not talking about their weddings at every opportunity...

... and while it's nothing to be upset about...

I will say that the "baby always trumps wedding" idea doesn't sit right with me as a general matter.  There are those of us who are choosing not to have children, and so my wedding is damned important to me and not something I look at as a day that will be later overshadowed by a childbirth.  Also, someone ELSE's baby doesn't generally trump MY wedding in MY life, just as I'm sure MY wedding doesn't trump THEIR baby in THEIR life.  We all have things that are important to us.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • h1lloyd:  I'm going to take your post a face value, as opposed to thinking that you were being sarcastic, and congratulate you.

Too often,  people ask a question, and when they don't get affirmation, they get whiny or very defensive.  Sometimes it's just time for a well needed reality check.

Congrats for coming back to reality.  Come back and play!

And I do mean it about being an aunt!  It's so much fun. 

And LD, I actually also commend you for speaking your mind about choosing to be child-free.  Parenthood is most certainly not for everyone, and people's choices about being (or not being) a parent should be honored.

I know people here say that baby trumps wedding, and I don't really agree with that either.  But I think that both states of being:  pregnant women and engaged women should be able to co-exist without worrying about stealing each other's thunder.  That's where I get disappointed.  Women have worked too hard to even have choices to allow ourselves to be torn apart for our life decisions.

::steps off my soapbox and backs away quietly::
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:b81e8972-bd0f-4620-87a0-0e26a4d289a6">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]And LD, I actually also commend you for speaking your mind about choosing to be child-free.  Parenthood is most certainly not for everyone, and people's choices about being (or not being) a parent should be honored. [/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks.  That's a much better reaction, as far as I'm concerned, than my mother, who's pointed out cute baby clothes repeatedly and told me all the stuff she'd buy if I had a kid (as if that's a valid reason to have one!) or her yenta friends who ask her "what's wrong" with me.  Yeah, for real.  Thank god my sis had a baby.  My nephew is the most adorable kid on the planet (and I swear I'm not biased at all!  LOL) and my mother and father can dote on him and have mostly been leaving me alone on the subject, except the occasional pointed comment regarding how good I am with him.
    <div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]I know people here say that baby trumps wedding, and I don't really agree with that either.  But I think that both states of being:  pregnant women and engaged women should be able to co-exist without worrying about stealing each other's thunder.  That's where I get disappointed.  Women have worked too hard to even have choices to allow ourselves to be torn apart for our life decisions. ::steps off my soapbox and backs away quietly::
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely it should all be able to coexist.  That was kind of my point too - my wedding, to me, is more important than someone else's baby.  Their baby is more important to them than my wedding.  And that's the way it should be!</div></div><div>
    </div><div>Funny thing is, I"m an AW of the highest order... but I guess I have enough of an ego that I don't rankle at supposedly stolen thunder.  I make sure I get enough attention in my life, I don't need 100% of it 24/7.</div>
  • Yes, I really mean thank you for putting me in my place! I posted the original comment because I haven't mentioned anything to anyone about my thoughts and I appreciate these boards because we can all help each other through stressful engagement periods.
    No, when I first got engaged I did not go on and on about my wedding plans with everyone. I'm a little uncomfortable being the center of attention. But I did appreciate that people were interested and I would give them my answers and ask for their input. But I don't like to make things about myself.
    My SIL and I get along well, and I am happy for her and my brother. And I'm not concerned about her stealing the show or anything.. my wedding is a big deal to me, but like I said - I'm uncomfortable being the center of attention. I'm more concerned about everyone having a good time. What I was mostly annoyed with at my shower was that she wasn't lifting a finger while my other bridesmaids showed up early, stayed late, cleaned up, etc. Yes, my other bridesmaids asked for her help - she was supposed to show up early. I've known my SIL to do this on several other occasions, when she was not pregnant. I felt bad that everyone else was doing so much and that she was not contributing.
    But regardless, I do appreciate the constructive criticism. It's helpful to get an outsiders advice and for someone to put me in my place. I needed it. I've moved on. I had no idea this would get such a large response and now I feel like I need to defend myself! So thank you for the helpful comments, and Peony - don't get so offended next time!

• LD1970LD1970 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:2ff04a6d-ed88-4276-a3d9-c5bf28433095">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I was mostly annoyed with at my shower was that she wasn't lifting a finger while my other bridesmaids showed up early, stayed late, cleaned up, etc. Yes, my other bridesmaids asked for her help - she was supposed to show up early. I've known my SIL to do this on several other occasions, when she was not pregnant. I felt bad that everyone else was doing so much and that she was not contributing. 
    Yeah, it sucks that she's not more helpful.  I was raised that if you're at a party or dinner or whatever sort of situation, you offer to help with things even when you're NOT a host.  You also clear your plate, and clear the plates of those around you as well.  Not everyone was raised with the same manners, so try not to take her (lack of) action to heart.  It's just how she is.<div>
    </div><div>A word of warning - it'll likely get <strong>worse</strong> while she's pregnant.  My sis was really sick during her pregnancy, and your SIL sounds like if she feels at all "eh" she'll milk it for all it's worth.  Just roll with it.</div><div>
    </div><div>:D</div>
  • I think people gave great advice - to all, please remember to read the full thread before commenting though!

It can be irritating if she didn't help but also keep in mind that there can be restrictions on pregnant women.  I'll assist as I can (I'm 20 weeks) but there have been times that I'm just achy in the legs or arms and many pregnant women can have morning sickness that goes on for months.

Now if she's the type who wouldn't have lifted a finger prior anyway, just go with the flow on it and know that's how she is.  But also understand that being pregnant can throw your body for a loop that you (the mom) just don't understand and the only solution at times can be to sit still.

I also agree that a baby doesn't trump a wedding.  They're two different fantastic milestones.  At my friends' wedding in two weeks, their weddign is more important than my growing bump.
  • Ditto the others.  People don't change who they are just because you're getting married, so if she wasn't the helpful type before, the wedding isn't going to change that.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I agree that weddings and babies are both big deals, but I do think a baby is a bigger deal because it is a bigger life change than getting married in many ways, not least of which you have a brand new human being in the world who you are responsible for and who is completely dependent on you, which is not the case with the wedding.  Having a child is a lifelong relationship and commitment; not all marriages are (sad fact but the stats don't lie).  A wedding is a party; a child changes everything.  The kid will still be around every day after he/she's born; the wedding is a memory the day after it happens.  Life doesn't change a whole lot after you get married; life changes dramatically after you have a child.

Just my two cents!
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Good points, brooke.  And you're of course, right.  That a baby is a lifetime commitment and one hopes, a life long relationship. 

But I think if you look at it in context:  getting married IS a huge deal when you're engaged and it becomes pretty consuming.  And it's like any other huge life moment.

You think you know what college will be like, and then you get there, and find out if's more and/or different than your thought it would be.  But applying to schools, and then waiting for those acceptances, and then celebrating when they came was the biggest thing on your mind at the time.

And then you're in college, and you hear from someone...."you think this is exciting (or challenging, or hard, or a lot of work??  Just wait until you get into med. school~or law school."  You know it's probably true, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I think the same applies to getting married (or living with someone).  You're pretty sure you know what it's going to be like, so you go in with assumptions.  And then you find out that it's more and/or different than you thought it would. 

And planning the wedding is exciting and consuming.  (Not saying letting it consume your every moment is right, but it does happen).  And I think it's annoying as a bride to hear:  "You think this is exciting?  It's nothin' compared to having a baby!"

And then the same scenario presents itself again when you get pregnant.  And so it goes.

Boy that was long.  But do you know what I'm trying to say?
  • Everything is a big deal when we go through it ourselves, absolutely.  I guess it's hard for me to relate to viewing the wedding a the "end-all, be-all" since I didn't approach ours that way.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• I know that for the first week (or 2...or 3...) I was completely crazy about my engagement. Then I joined the knot and I was reading some boards and they essentially said "not everyone wants to hear about your wedding 24/7". Then I started consciously not talking about it. I found purposely making myself focus on other things besides WEDDING, WEDDING, WEDDING, which was still about 1.75 years away at that point, I was far less over the top with it and eventually it wasn't even temping to sneak in comments about my wedding whenever I could. Maybe your SIL will come to that conclusion or maybe she won't (I don't know her). Either way she is who she is and she might be a diva, but most families have at least one. Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket

• I wouldn't think of it as the wedding being the big event, but the marriage.  And I have said this before (as I posted something similiar to this in a response to someone else, how I was upset the my FSIL was pregnant and due very close to our wedding, but I got over it pretty quick) that weddings and pregnancy are mutual exclusive.  One does not trup the other.  Perhaps I should say marriage and pregnancy.  A marriage SHOULD be a lifelong commitment when you make it.  That's why you vow to death do you part.  I may not be responsible for my husband in the same way as our children, but you can bet he is my priority in my life.  And yes, my life will change when I marry, for both of us. It is no longer about ME but about US and that is a huge diffference.  Perhaps people take that a bit too lightly.  A wedding may be a party, yes.  But the marriage is a huge deal and a life changing event.
  • Marriage doesn't change your life that much.  It didn't change ours; it did alter our perspectives a bit, but I know that day to day, life was pretty much the same.  It's something that you THINK changes everything before you do it, but just being married doesn't change your relationship or your life all that much.

But that may be my own experience--what do others think?
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_sister-law-pregnant-stealing-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3eb7cef9-24f2-43d4-bd45-749cf6e6e5f8Post:ef169323-73e1-463b-b319-7d4ce6e0ea87">Re: Sister-in-law pregnant and stealing show</a>:
    [QUOTE]Marriage doesn't change your life that much.  It didn't change ours; it did alter our perspectives a bit, but I know that day to day, life was pretty much the same.  It's something that you THINK changes everything before you do it, but just being married doesn't change your relationship or your life all that much. But that may be my own experience--what do others think?
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]
    We talked quite a bit about our expectations for marriage, mainly because I'd read a piece on Offbeat Bride talking about long-term couples getting married and then breaking up because they bring in all this baggage about what they think the marriage will be.  So we both came to the conclusion that we were already functionally married and just throwing a big party to celebrate, and that marriage wouldn't change much.  We're only three months in, but other than adding "husband" and "wife" to our disgustingly cute terms of endearment, nothing really has chaged.

• LD1970LD1970 member
    Well, a wedding is really in two parts, and only one of those (the ceremony) is technically necessary.

Yeah, it's a party - a big, important party, and I'm a party planner by nature, so it gets even bigger in my hands - but it's a party celebrating a promise.  It's the promise that's important, and that promise SHOULD change your life.  No, no one's going to be 100% dependent on you based on that promise, at least barring any really big mishaps, but you will be depending on and looking out for each other.

Many years ago, I took piano lessons.  Around the time of their 50th wedding anniversary, my piano teacher told me about his relationship with his wife.  He said that they loved each other more at 50 years than they had when they'd been dating.

They were German Jews when Hitler was elected.  The first thing Hitler did, of course, was throw the Jews out of school, and she (the woman who later became my teacher's wife) was still in high school, so out she went.  He (my piano teacher) had a chance to escape, but wouldn't leave without her, so they ended up in a concentration camp.  Finally, they escaped together, to Madrid, where she worked cleaning houses to put him through music school.  His dream was to be a concert pianist.  He graduated, and they came to the U.S., broke, and stayed with family 'til they got on their feet.  He never did realize his dreams of being an entertainer, but instead started working teaching piano to pay the bills.  He did well enough that his wife could get her GED, and then he put her through college and then grad school to get her MLS.  By the time I knew them, they were pretty elderly and he was still a teacher, she was a librarian.  They had several adult children and grandchildren, and were incredibly happy & in love.

He told me, "I never think about myself.  I always put my wife first in everything.  And I know I can do this because I know she's doing the same for me.  People can be too selfish.  Don't settle for selfish.  Don't settle at all.  Wait for what I have."

His advice actually caused me to breakup with boyfriends over the years, because he was right.  And I waited until I found what I wanted, and refused to settle.

That's the promise I'm talking about, and if you do it right it does and should change your life.

Yeah, divorce happens.  I know... if it didn't, my job would be very different, since probably 70% of what I do is divorce & family law.  The idea is that if things go right, it doesn't happen, and your life IS changed forever.

And yes, I may be a divorce lawyer, but I'm also a romantic.  Go figure.  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards