Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

7pm Friday wedding? Wear what?!?!?!

Hi! My roommate is invited to a 7pm Friday Wedding and I am helping her try to figure out something to wear....I say when in doubt wear black. Traditionally 7pm weddings are white tie. What would this one be considered? She also has a black shawl, shoes, and purse, but feels as if she is going to a funeral. So....she was wondering if she could throw some red shoes and clutch into the picture and still look acceptable. HELP----What should we do????

Re: 7pm Friday wedding? Wear what?!?!?!

• Options
    I think a black dress with colored shoes and purse would be really cute.  Any evening/cocktail dress would be fine I'm sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still would never wear an all-black dress to a wedding. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_7pm-friday-wedding-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3aaa7d3-84a9-4f0a-9552-8d92caf0769aPost:3fb910bb-20d8-4f26-9d3b-3661cd40b7a4">Re: 7pm Friday wedding? Wear what?!?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still would never wear an all-black dress to a wedding. 
    Posted by antimony[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Personally, it would make me feel uncomfortable, but my opinion is definitely not the norm.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Why not just ask the bride?  My wedding is at 7:30pm on a Friday, I've had a few people ask us about dress code.  (I've been referring to ours as "cocktail party formal.")
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    After 6 means more formal, but not black or white tie formal.  If it is that formal, they'll usually tell you on the invitation or the website.  Unless they indicate black or white tie, the norm is semi-formal/cocktail attire.  But you can always ask the bride to be sure, especially if black or white tie is more common in their circle.
  • Options
    I think the black dress is fine, either with the black or red accessories, whichever she prefers. The invitation and venue should make it pretty clear how formal it is.

But I'm perplexed by your assumption that any wedding would be white tie. I've gone to a number of black tie weddings through the years, but never a white tie wedding and as far as I know, I don't know anyone who has either. They're highly unusual. Are you sure you're not mixing up your terminology and thinking of something else?
  • Options
    Ask the bride. I can't imagine anyone holding a white tie wedding and not specifying on the invitation.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_7pm-friday-wedding-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3aaa7d3-84a9-4f0a-9552-8d92caf0769aPost:3fb910bb-20d8-4f26-9d3b-3661cd40b7a4">Re: 7pm Friday wedding? Wear what?!?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still would never wear an all-black dress to a wedding. 
    Posted by antimony[/QUOTE]

I agree with this as well. I think of all black as more funeral-ish then wedding. But if you offset the black with colored shoes.. shawl.. purse..etc that would work.

I've been to Friday evening weddings and never thought twice about wearing something different than I would wear to a Saturday or Sunday wedding. A wedding is a wedding no matter what day of the week it is. Tell her to wear what she would normally wear to a wedding whether it be a LBD or a cocktail dress. HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards