Wedding Etiquette Forum

scratchy engagement ring prongs: poll

When we chose a ring, the last thing I was evaluating was its propensity to be utilised as a weapon.

It seems that this was quite the oversight, as I'm forever hurting my H's hand, and have scratched my face a couple of times while in the shower when the ring has spun around in the water. This isn't a big deal, but it's more the worry of what will happen if/when we have babies; I want to leave the scratching up of beautiful baby skin to the fingernails of my kids rather than my ring (ha!). 

Poll: could your ring double as a weapon? And if so, do you have any ideas for how you may rectify this issue (eg. modification of the ring somehow) without replacing the ring outright (given this would make me sad in light of the sentimental value)?

Re: scratchy engagement ring prongs: poll

• hmmm, my wedding band has that problem, except that it doesn't scratch me, but catches on everything and pulls the prongs back.

Can the jeweller "flatten"  the prongs on the top so they are a bit flusher? 

I think missmerymac has a setting (I knw lpstl did) that would have the prongs that would work well (it's a 1940s style but I can't remember the name of it).  Would changing the prongs ruin the sentimental value?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited August 2010

I'm totally open to changing the prongs if it means that it's not scratchy. That would be my preferred option but I'm currently researching how it could be done, and was just looking at some very adorable vintage rings. 

How are you anyway, dear?

• I have a setting like missmerys and lpstl on a another ring, let me see if i can find a pic of it for you

I'm OK I guess.  We had solar installed today.  I'd be a lot better if FB had their crap together.  I told them my account was compromised.  Managed to change passwords and associted emails and got back in.  THREE days later FB says "We've been notified your acount was compromised.  We have disabled it until you can prove you are really you.  Answer these questions."

So know I am waiting for FB to acknowledge that I am me...

How are you doing?  How's the thesis?
  • here you go, pics of the prongs I was thinking.  I have sailed over 7,000 miles with that ring on and it never caught on a thing.  I'm sad I can't wear it anymore (longish story)
    If you look at the bottom of the sapphire, you can see the prongs better

• Sun, what does your ring look like?  They could probably just change the head with something that isn't as high. 
  • My ring was a WMD when it was new. I looked into having the prongs filed down and they said they could do that. But it eventually wore down on its own.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Nope, my setting is almost completely smooth. It is vintage, and the smooth setting was part of the appeal to me. The rings from my first marriage could classify as WMD, though. After the first time I scratched my child with it, I quit wearing them for a good long while.
  • Nope, my setting's prongs are smooth & flat over the surface of the diamond. I did not want a really high setting for this reason - afraid of scratching someone or getting it caught on something.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_scratchy-engagement-ring-prongs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c76044f2-915f-428e-8713-7533527d3183Post:4d81e6c2-5b14-4501-b078-e27cbfbb766a">Re: scratchy engagement ring prongs: poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]My ring was a WMD when it was new. I looked into having the prongs filed down and they said they could do that. But it eventually wore down on its own.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

this.
  • Sun, my H was worried about my general clumsiness, so he had the jeweler add a little extra white gold onto the tip of each prong.  It doesn't change the look of the ring at all, but it basically reinforced the prongs, and they are kind of smooth and rounded on top.  Maybe that is something to look into? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine's a bit out there, and when I change Liam's diaper, I'm pretty vigilant about it, but it's never been a problem. I haven't poked his eye out yet. ;) But of course, things are gonna happen, and they will get scratched every now and then, no matter what your ring looks like. They're pretty resilient little buggers.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Like Dani, FI was paranoid about my ring because of my clumsiness. I actually have my grandmother's engagement ring, but he ensured that the prongs were really close to flush to the diamond and actually had the setting changed just slightly so it would be a little more flush with my hand.

I babysit and play with kids aaaallllll the time (literally everyday) and I've never hurt anyone. I suggest taking it to your jeweler and telling him your issues and see what he thinks - just go to a GOOD jeweler who does work in store and not someone who sends your jewelry out!
  • Just throwing it out there: I noticed the weapon-like ability of engagement rings several years ago and definitely picked a ring that wouldn't hurt, maim, or otherwise injure myself or loved ones.  Now I feel a little odd...  clearly, others didn't have this same thought process.  Haha.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_scratchy-engagement-ring-prongs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c76044f2-915f-428e-8713-7533527d3183Post:9a2974d2-eb53-45be-9945-0aef11a2e253">Re: scratchy engagement ring prongs: poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]hmmm, my wedding band has that problem, except that it doesn't scratch me, but catches on everything and pulls the prongs back. Can the jeweller "flatten"  the prongs on the top so they are a bit flusher?  I think missmerymac has a setting (I knw lpstl did) that would have the prongs that would work well (it's a 1940s style but I can't remember the name of it).  Would changing the prongs ruin the sentimental value?
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

<div>I do. The prongs are sort of square, not pointy. The jeweler who's making my wedding nabd also told me that the whole setting is original. So I think the setting itself, combined with 80+ years of wear, makes it nice ans silky. It doesn't catch on anything (unless the whole ring catches on something). It's pretty high, too. At first, when I heard other people complaining about their ring catching on everything I had no idea what they were talking about. :-)</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • FI got my ring at Kays and it has a "tulip head" setting. I actually looks similar to regular prongs but it also looks like.... a tulip. I've never gotten it caught/scratched anything. Maybe that's an option as it won't change the look too much.
  • Mine's a 4 prong pear shaped solitaire and the tip of the pear shape is hella sharp. And becaues it's only 4 prongs, it doesn't have a prong around the point, so it's just all sharp and out there. I don't take it off for bed, so I've scratched my cheek a couple times and have definitely done a little damage to FI with it.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • My ring is definitely a WMP and has drawn blood on us on more than one occasion. Right now we're thinking of getting a smooth band for when we have kids and once they are older going back to wearing my original ring set. I might look into talking with a jeweler about altering the settings...although the way it's designed I don't know how much they could do.
  • I work in a lab and wear a lot of gloves.  I had really wanted a solitaire but having discussed my concerns about breaking my gloves all the time and possibly loosing a stone with my fiance he picked something more like a wedding band with 5 flush stones.  I was a little disappointed when I opened the box, but have come to love the ring for just that reason.
    The only reason I had thought about the ring breaking the gloves all the time was because a lady I used to work with always had that problem.  When she had her daughter she finally decided that it wasn't worth scratching her daughter or worrying about what toxin she was going to potentially get all over her hands and she put the ring away.  She wore her wedding ring every day.
    Another friend ended up just wearing her engagement ring on a chain around her neck, but she had to be careful when she wore sweaters.

I agree with the previous posts that a jeweler (if he got it from a chain store you might look for a local jewelry repair) might be your best bet if you don't want to find another way to wear the ring or put it away when the kids come.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We got the ring insurance on my ring so they added these little metal beads to the inside of it on the bottom.  You can't see them when it's on but they hold the ring in place and it no longer spins and is top heavy.  It was free with the ring insurance.  I'm not sure how much it is without.  You should get them.  
  • My ring is a low profile, so it's usually not a problem.  I did scratch a guy on the street recently.  That was the first and only time that has happened in the 9 months that I've had it.  

• So I read this thread this morning and then I sliced my nose this afternoon. I guess I have pointy prongs after all :(
  • Sorry to jinx you Birdie!

Thanks for your suggestions, girls. I'm going to go to the jeweller where H bought the ring and see if there's anything that can be done. They do custom made jewellery there, so hopefully they'll be able to advise us.

• Thats ok! I had scratched myself a few times  before, but I thought it was funny I really scratch myself the same day people talk about it on here. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards