Not Engaged Yet

Really, Jeana?

Really? That thread wasn't anywhere near as bad as some I've seen on here.  And the OP was the only one being really offensive.  Closing the thread just seems like censorship to me.

Re: Really, Jeana?

• edited December 2011
    Yes, she was being really offensive. And I'm tired of it. And it will only get worse. And you and I both know it.

If you'd like to talk about it, you can PM me.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, see I was all about what Jeana did.  I think that thread was out of line in a few ways.  It might not have been as bad as several others, but this board is not supposed to be about personal attacks, especially related to babies, bodies, or personal name calling. Perhaps those other threads should have been edited, too, but Jeana isn't available 24/7.

Kudos, Jeana!  Way to work those Mod powers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It ate my response. : (

I said:

A. I don't understand the "look how cute my s/o is" threads.

B. I hope I look like Mutley when I'm pregnant.

C. I Love Whales!

D. Where is Oceana's bean dip pic??
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Nah, I'm with Jeana on this. That lady was just going to get completely riled up. There were shots at weight and a actual offensive name being slung around. It's better for all of us to get that one closed.

Remember, we are not baboons with keyboards. Anyone? Anyone?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it was just the OP being offensive. Everyone was jumping on and attacking, and it wouldn't have gotten completely out of control.

Good job, Jeana.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jeana, I'm all for you using your judgement

I do think all of us saying "Congrats Jeana!!!" is weird.
  • edited December 2011
    TEAM JEANA!
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that the thread was getting out of hand.  The OP was the one name-calling and hitting below the belt and then tried to play the victim.

Mutely is wise and a beautiful pregnant woman who shouldn't have to worry about people bashing her body image when she gives them a dose of honesty.

Unfortunately, I was unable to agree with Narwhal when the post got shut down.

*To that lady who brags about how much better looking she is than her BF, I don't care if you're dating a chimp, when you love someone, you don't think about how you're gracing them by being the "beautiful person" by their side...you think of them as beautiful too.*

Just food for thought...and maybe a fist-bump to Narwhal.
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-jeana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bf6a6b9a-1e7a-4046-8008-b98ae411bf54Post:6dbac4f5-8408-4688-90a6-f4aae780fa59">Re: Really, Jeana?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It ate my response. : ( I said: A. I don't understand the "look how cute my s/o is" threads. B. I hope I look like Mutley when I'm pregnant. C. I Love Whales! D. Where is Oceana's bean dip pic??
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]

Oh I'll start

MY FI is so cute because:

He went to the old roommate's room and vacuumed and washed base boards so that he could paint. He also screamed like a little girl about all the hair. Then he said, he'll be my house husband so that I don't have to worry about cleaning or cooking. Awwww.
  • edited December 2011
    eh, if people don't like it, don't read the thread.  And I personally think it's everyone's job to moderate their own behavior.  I just feel like it's a public message board, so this type of stuff is going to happen.  Closing it is just censorship.  We're all adults (or should be) and should be able to deal with things as we see fit, IMO.
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree whole heartedly with Jeana personally. The attacks were getting out of hand and just really inappropritate. While other threads may have treaded on thin ice before as well , this is of the worst to date and it was just going downhill.
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-jeana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bf6a6b9a-1e7a-4046-8008-b98ae411bf54Post:d0bfbb63-6dad-40eb-ac84-009840c928ae">Re: Really, Jeana?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that the thread was getting out of hand.  The OP was the one name-calling and hitting below the belt and then tried to play the victim. Mutely is wise and a beautiful pregnant woman who shouldn't have to worry about people bashing her body image when she gives them a dose of honesty. Unfortunately, I was unable to agree with Narwhal when the post got shut down. *To that lady who brags about how much better looking she is than her BF, I don't care if you're dating a chimp, when you love someone, you don't think about how you're gracing them by being the "beautiful person" by their side...you think of them as beautiful too.* Just food for thought...and maybe a fist-bump to Narwhal.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

I didn't brag. I made a blanket statement. It's a JOKE between us and everyone who knows us. I love my boyfriend very much. He's an amazing man and I'm lucky to have him. Sometimes I think, "Wow, what is he doing with ME?" I just said I get checked out more than he does, sheesh.
  • edited December 2011
    *fist bump to both jeana and lovetoshop*
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I did NOT start this thread to rehash all the shiit in the other thread. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-jeana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bf6a6b9a-1e7a-4046-8008-b98ae411bf54Post:6a5b96f1-fe63-46d8-8f12-18315c830ff3">Re: Really, Jeana?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I did NOT start this thread to rehash all the shiit in the other thread. 
    Posted by noelle24[/QUOTE]

<div>You're right.  I'll shut up so long as I can maintain my fistbumps.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Look, the point is people were feeding the problem, and it was getting really inappropriate and out of hand. I made a judgement call. People can disagree if they want to, that's fine. But I am generally a VERY hands-off mod. I try to let things run their course. But there was no end in sight for that, and I'm not going to sit back and watch that kind of flame war without doing anything.

I tried to just cut out the beginning, but with everyone already quoting and replying, that didn't work. I feel like I made the right decision. I would never close a thread unless I was sure it was the right decision.

I was asked to be a mod. I like to think the people who asked me knew what kind of mod I'd be. If I'm not the right mod for this board then okay. That would save me some time. If you guys have a problem, let me know via PM. I'll step down if I'm not a good fit. Complain to Knot Annie if you want to. That's cool. It won't hurt my feelings.

I don't mind modding because I like this board. I like the honest opinions. This board and its honest-but-sometimes-rude members helped me a lot. However, there's a line. I've ALWAYS felt there's a line. Maybe not to other people, but to me there is. I'm going to mod based first on the Knot forum rules, and second based on my gut feeling.

But, like I said. I'm a mod because I was asked to be. If I'm told I shouldn't be, then that's okay too. But I do believe my gut feeling coincides with most other guts around here.
    Anniversary
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe people act like adults around here and do keep themselves in check. However, that thread did go too far and would have only gotten worse. Good judgement Jeana!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm just expressing an opinion Jeana, not saying you should step down as a mod. I didn't think about a PM because I never use them. I've said what I wanted to now, anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    Noelle, I really do appreciate your opinion. I am totally open to criticism, and I did consider what you said. If anyone else feels the same way or EVER thinks I overstep a boundary, please DO let me know. PMs are best because then you don't get people trying to continue the discussion that was closed and hopefully left for dead.

I wanted to say that about stepping down because I really AM okay with that. I want what's best for the board members as a whole. If everyone had come in here saying "Jeana that wasn't necessary, you shouldn't have closed that" then I'd have considered why I was so far off base. I'm not close-minded. And I'm not trying to be all "OMG I'M A MOD I CAN DO WHAT I WANT RAWR"

You seemed upset about the censorship, and if a lot of others felt that way I would seriously consider that I may not be the right mod for the board.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    It got a little OOC at the end. Jeana FTW.

Why my FI is freaking adorable: He still loves me even though he is a much better cook than I am.
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    That thread was nasty and was going nowhere good.  I don't know if I would have closed it myself but I'm okay with it because I'm in a happy mood today and want to talk about happy things.  Kiss
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let's talk about puppies.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-jeana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bf6a6b9a-1e7a-4046-8008-b98ae411bf54Post:108fe48f-b36a-4a63-8524-16e1249337fb">Re: Really, Jeana?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let's talk about puppies.
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

My coworker just got a dog!  He's not a puppy though.  But yay for pet adoptions!

My cat finished his entire bowl of food between the time I woke up and the time we were about to leave the house.  Good thing FI checked his bowl again otherwise he would be home with no food.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    My BF is adorable because he always brings me Peach Snapple (my favorite) for no apparent reason. That and the fact that he puts up with my anxiety and is the only person who can keep me calm.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want a puppy!!!! or an old dog. Either will work!

I just refuse to get one when FI and I are gone from 7AM to 7PM.

: (
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BTW Hetshup - I think you were the only one who read into my sarcasm. Cool
  • edited December 2011
    Or to spin to the positive, one reason we're lucky to have our BF/FI/DH.

Mine: he always cuddles me close in his sleep.  Even if I get up to go to the bathroom or something, when I come back he wraps me up and grumbles as he pulls me against him, like he's upset I got away for a few minutes. It makes me feel so loved!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm mad at BF because he won't put away my clothes for me. >:|

But he's taking me to TacoDog for lunch, so I guess it all evens out. <3

*and yes, TacoDog is a place where you can get both tacos and hotdogs.  and it is delicious.*
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-jeana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bf6a6b9a-1e7a-4046-8008-b98ae411bf54Post:34c60d6d-ff2e-4e8e-9a1d-8738128682b1">Re: Really, Jeana?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or to spin to the positive, one reason we're lucky to have our BF/FI/DH. Mine: he always cuddles me close in his sleep.  Even if I get up to go to the bathroom or something, when I come back he wraps me up and grumbles as he pulls me against him, like he's upset I got away for a few minutes. It makes me feel so loved!
    Posted by catemeg[/QUOTE]

BF doesn't do that. :(  But it's okay because I'm kind of claustrophobic.

One night we were spending the night at our friends house, I rolled over and said "babe, i'm cold."  He said "me too." And took the covers and rolled over.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-jeana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bf6a6b9a-1e7a-4046-8008-b98ae411bf54Post:d3d98601-65fd-4465-80f8-9f99c0ea762f">Re: Really, Jeana?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm mad at BF because he won't put away my clothes for me. />:| But he's taking me to TacoDog for lunch, so I guess it all evens out. <3 *and yes, TacoDog is a place where you can get both tacos and hotdogs.  and it is delicious.*
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

Oooh, now I'm craving a hot dog in a taco.  Like smothered in lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and cheese, wraped in a soft tortilla.  Or a fried corn tortilla.... yum!!!

I was eating pickles and ice cream yesterday, like one pickle and then a couple bites of ice cream followed by more pickles and more ice cream.  If I hadn't just had 'that time of the month' last week, I'd be concerned these were pregnancy cravings...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards