Catholic Weddings

Link to the new liturgy online

As our priest joked yesterday, "We'll all have our heads buried in the missal for about a month!"

Here's the main page . . .

http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/index.shtml

And here's the direct link to the side-by-side comparision - I think it's so much better, and I truly believe it will inspire more respect and love for the Mass (God willing.)

http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml

Re: Link to the new liturgy online

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's definitely an improvement on the translation! I'm happy to see these types of changes!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that the translation is much better. I'm a word-lover at heart, so I'm excited to see that we are getting closer to the heart of the liturgy. I'm concerned, though, that there is going to be some backlash from people who don't like change and/or don't understand the reasons for it, especially since some of it sounds strange. The old translation is so familiar, and it avoided some strange, if accurate, terminology. Then again, my perspective on change is somewhat scarred from a pastoral change at my parish in the last year and the reaction it has caused within the congregation. I know my parish is preparing adult catechesis on the new translation and I pray others will do the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for posting the new translation comparison!  I think it's a much better translation of the Latin in many places -- the new translation of the Gloria makes me happy to see.  :)

But like bibliophile, I worry that a lot of people will grumble and not react well to the changes.

• bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some parts have become much more similar to the Eastern Catholic. Very interesting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Some parts have become much more similar to the Eastern Catholic. Very interesting.
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

bel, as soon as I read, "And with your spirit," I thought the same thing!  I was waiting for a note that the lector would say, "Father, your blessing?" before he began reading!  ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    I remember as a very little girl (early 1960s) saying "And with your spirit". I also remember finding old missals from the 1940s and 1950s with the same thing. As they say, "Everything old is new again."
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_new-liturgy-online?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:fd12bd80-2360-4e9f-96df-db42a3d1cf98Post:d293a513-c183-48a6-948c-78d5f927a944">Re: Link to the new liturgy online</a>:
    [QUOTE]bel, as soon as I read, "And with your spirit," I thought the same thing!  I was waiting for a note that the lector would say, "Father, your blessing?" before he began reading!  ;-)
    Posted by Jasmine&Rajah[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you look at this link, the Deacon reading the Gospel would say exactly that!

<a href="http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-priest-liturgy.shtml">http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-priest-liturgy.shtml</a>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  And it says "present text" - but I've never heard that said during the Roman rite!  I hope all parishes take that up . . . I love it.  :-)

That's what I get for only reading the people's part . . .
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to clarify: I'm not trying to be nitpicky... but because many people don't understand it, I think its an important distinction to make:

It is not a new liturgy. The Pauline mass itself (some people call it the Novus ordo, but this is a disparaging name, although most that use it don't know this), that came into play after the tridentine mass was a new liturgy.

This is merely a more literal translation of the missal from the latin. Back in 2004, there were some items from the general instruction of the roman missal that were implemented, changed, and reminded of. This is just a change in translation.

• Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_new-liturgy-online?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:fd12bd80-2360-4e9f-96df-db42a3d1cf98Post:37a88d15-789c-43c7-9b02-e3d22fe50e84">Re: Link to the new liturgy online</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Pauline mass itself (some people call it the Novus ordo, but this is a disparaging name, although most that use it don't know this),
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

agape, I have to disagree that calling it Novus Ordo Missae is always disparaging. I would agree that certain traditionalists may use it and refer to it in a disparaging way...but the translation is "New Order" which, in and of itself is not belittling. And, many that prefer it themselves refer to it as Novus Ordo.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_new-liturgy-online?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:fd12bd80-2360-4e9f-96df-db42a3d1cf98Post:e6f286a9-74d1-4646-8635-a8bb20810480">Re: Link to the new liturgy online</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Link to the new liturgy online : agape, I have to disagree that calling it Novus Ordo Missae is always disparaging. I would agree that certain traditionalists may use it and refer to it in a disparaging way...but the translation is "New Order" which, in and of itself is not belittling. And, many that prefer it themselves refer to it as Novus Ordo.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was always disparaging, in fact, I said most people who use it don't realize it is.

Th<span style="font-family:georgia;"><font size="3" style="line-height:1.3em;">e term "Novus Ordo" was coined by the schismatic "Traditionalists" who believe that the mass of Pope Paul VI is invalid. This is where it originally came from.  (Traditionalists NOT meaning those that attend the tridentine mass in communion with Rome, but the schismatics) It has become broader use in many ways, some by just simply referring to the distinction in the mass, some continuing to use it as a derogatory remark against the "novus ordo church".  The original use was indeed deragatory.

The correct terms our church uses is ordinary and extradordinary form.
    </font></span>
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    Our church uses those terms as well.

The original use was not intended to be derogative. Novus Ordo Missae was the title of the working draft of the Mass promulgated by Pope Paul VI. Certain traditionalist schisms have used the term in a derogatory way, but that doesn't make the term derogatory for other use. The term Novus Ordo was used by traditionalists long before the schism in 1988. It is also used by scholars commonly today. And based on the Moto Proprio of the pope and the dialog between the SSPX and the Church, we can hope that whatever schism might have existed ends shortly.

The usage of the words the ordinary and extraordinary form only came about during Benedict XVI's reign as pontiff.

edited December 2011
    Yes, I know Benedict started the OF and EF terms. But that is still the correct terminology.

There were and still are many schisms that existed before SSPX. They used the term novus ordo missae as a connection with the masons "novus ordo seclorum" which means new world order. It may have been a working title, (but it is not the official title) but it was quickly scooped up to be deragatory, and is still widely used that way now.

Again, I know that most people that use the term don't mean anything by it, I use to use it myself, but it carries with it a lot of emotional baggage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards