Snarky Brides

Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all

12346»

Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all

• You guys are probably talking about someone else now, but I've noticed a few of my more recently changing friends have at least changed the message (or it got changed somewhere along the lines ) to "help promote awareness of child abuse" instead of "help stop child abuse."

That at least sits better with me.  Not that I think we really need to promote awareness of child abuse, because I think it's pretty hard to make it through life without realizing that unfortunately, some child get abused. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:20158d11-9585-4566-a50b-4203d3f13140">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : This made me laugh.
    Posted by MandK9[/QUOTE]

<div>I think she's going for the whole 'kill them with kindness' thing. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:00e8c813-0c82-4ebf-bed7-8f33222c487b">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : I think she's going for the whole 'kill them with kindness' thing. 
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

No, she is going for the 'putting her hands over her ears and pretending people are not talking about her' thing. I can imagine her standing there saying "I can't hear you! I can't hear you" over and over.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:fbdc3295-7608-40fb-bcba-52db709b2637">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : I don't have kids - so no slight on anyone. I have just noticed some of my fellow child free friends (not all, by any means) seem to be a bit tone deaf to issues involving kids - issues all the way from legal and custody issues to facts about abduction and abuse.  On the other side of the equation, I do know people even my age who don;t have kids and are very aware of all this stuff, sometimes because their work or the cause they contribute to put them in the way of it. or sadly because they were victims themselves. My point is that awareness is not a no-brainer for everyone. I am not sure where all the anger has come from on this topic, I  mean I do not even do FB anymore but hey it's FB posting. The same as those chain-posts about cancer "awareness" (not just breast, either) or baby loss. I think a lot of intelligent people know that posting something on FB is not a solution to any of that, and no doubt some people are using it in instead of actually doing something/giving a damn but really is it doing harm? Are not most of the people doing it at least well intentioned? If you want to get upset about some crap online, how about the NAMBLA website-you know the boy-man love group. 
    Posted by Lenore2010[/QUOTE]

My issue isnt with people who did it, its more with the people who are all like "I cant believe you are not changing your pic!  Why dont you care about child abuse!"

I am still sticking to my original opinion that I would feel differently if it was "Change your profile pic to a cartoon if you did something recently to help fight against child abuse" rather than trivializing it.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • See the FB thing just reminds me of donations in lieu of favors. Instead of just donating your time/money to a good cause, you always feel the need to AW  how awesome you are by donating your time/money. If you are going to do it then just freaking do it and stop being all high and mighty about it and making sure the world knows it.

Wait..bad things happen to kids? Why didn't anyone tell me this before pregnancy because I had no clue!

Also (where did this soap box come from?) I don't mind the "post this if you've experienced a loss" "have family in the military" "love your mom" type things as much. They aren't saying that they are changing the world and I've had quite a few people who have told me "Wow, I never realized that so many of my friends had lost a child before birth until this last chain went around. How do I help them through it?"

I still love my friend's reaction to the "post your bra color to raise awareness" compaign. She just lost both of hers due to breast cancer at the age of 26 and posted "Hey guys, thanks for posting your bra colors and reminding me that I will never wear one again thanks to this disease. How about next time you donate money and actually do something about it instead of being a slut on FB?"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:0791fbc6-a598-482e-9022-e8abe41538d8">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would feel differently if it was "Change your profile pic to a cartoon if you did something recently to help fight against child abuse" rather than trivializing it.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I agree the cartoon thing is by itself a little meaningless, but couldn't you say the same thing about any sort of awareness? Like those Livestrong bracelets or pink ribbons. I mean, what percentage of women over 40 who have a pink ribbon umbrella and tote and coffee mug and do you think don't get regular mammogram for themselves? I mean it is different because by purchasing awareness stuff you're often contributing to the cause, but some items contribute miniscule percentages of the purchase price.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:856459ac-e1de-4e15-b46f-fcefe6e2a63f">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : Yeah, I agree the cartoon thing is by itself a little meaningless, but couldn't you say the same thing about any sort of awareness? <strong>Like those Livestrong bracelets or pink ribbons.</strong> I mean, what percentage of women over 40 who have a pink ribbon umbrella and tote and coffee mug and do you think don't get regular mammogram for themselves? I mean it is different because by purchasing awareness stuff you're often contributing to the cause, but <strong>some items contribute miniscule percentages of the purchase price</strong>.
    Posted by sister2groom[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that $1 or whatever for each bracelet is actually donated to cancer research.  So, no, they're not the same thing.... at least a minuscule percentage is more than what cartoon pictures are donating.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:0791fbc6-a598-482e-9022-e8abe41538d8">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : <strong>My issue isnt with people who did it, its more with the people who are all like "I cant believe you are not changing your pic!  Why dont you care about child abuse!"</strong> I am still sticking to my original opinion that I would feel differently if it was "Change your profile pic to a cartoon if you did something recently to help fight against child abuse" rather than trivializing it.

<div>Agreed that is very A-holish. Also you make a good point about doing something and then posting a pic.</div>
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:4b8b64b7-8242-4e5e-94d7-cd38f4d1d83a">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE] I still love my friend's reaction to the "post your bra color to raise awareness" compaign. She just lost both of hers due to breast cancer at the age of 26 and posted "Hey guys, thanks for posting your bra colors and reminding me that I will never wear one again thanks to this disease. How about next time you donate money and actually do something about it instead of being a slut on FB?"
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Posting the bra color wasn't anywhere as bad as "post where you hang you purse".  Saying "I like it on the bedroom wall" did absolutely nothing to raise awareness for breast cancer and was just sleezy inuendo.

Sad situation for your friend, but simply putting "red" in a status hardly seems slutty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:edb7d8c2-e1ec-4d2b-b379-4009b7afd883">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : Posting the bra color wasn't anywhere as bad as "post where you hang you purse".  Saying "I like it on the bedroom wall" did absolutely nothing to raise awareness for breast cancer and was just sleezy inuendo. Sad situation for your friend,<strong><u>but simply putting "red" in a status hardly seems slutty.
    </u></strong>Posted by MVJP10[/QUOTE]

Maybe not slutty but certainly insensitive since a lot of breast cancer survivors lose their breasts like Katie said.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:33901226-ec53-4465-81a4-c713ae88c440">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : Maybe not slutty but certainly insensitive since a lot of breast cancer survivors lose their breasts like Katie said.

Agreed, but harsh to say "do something about it instead of being a slut on FB" with the idea that posting a color in your status is slutty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of my FB friends just put this as her status:

"IMPORTANT:the whole changing your profile picture to your favourite cartoon chatacter thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles, because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them, it was currently on the programme Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv ...some time tonight, put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back, thankyou"
  • Sorry, but I believe the purpose of the whole thing is to put up the cartoons to bring back those awesome childhood memories.  But we are talking about child abuse here, so for me showing me a bunch of cartoons brings me back to a horrible place that took years to put behind me.  My family and friends are not participating, and the whole thing is fucking ridiculous and not well thought out IMO.  I agree with get off your fucking ass and do something about it, and not the "change you picture or status to help support XXX" because that doesn't help anything.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're asking everyone to change their FB picture to a Dinosaur. Guys, it's tragic. We need to raise awareness for dinosaur extinction! The goal is to not see a human face on Facebook until Monday December 6th. Please support dinosaurs by copying and pasting this as your status.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:d1fa231c-f029-4839-a161-1176c35898c9">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't bothered reading any of this thread, but I just had to say that I love your sig, my dear Ricks! 
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

TY Sun! Where the heck have you been?
  • I just think the whole thing is silly. Just like the purse one that went around. It just proves that 99% of the world is made up of mindless sheep.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:856459ac-e1de-4e15-b46f-fcefe6e2a63f">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : Yeah, I agree the cartoon thing is by itself a little meaningless, but couldn't you say the same thing about any sort of awareness? Like those Livestrong bracelets or pink ribbons. I mean, what percentage of women over 40 who have a pink ribbon umbrella and tote and coffee mug and do you think don't get regular mammogram for themselves? I mean it is different because by purchasing awareness stuff you're often contributing to the cause, but some items contribute <strong>miniscule percentages of the purchase price.
    </strong>Posted by sister2groom[/QUOTE]
    Miniscule amounts add up but that's not the point. The point is the cartoon characters are doing nothing. They aren't raising 1 cent for child abuse awareness. And like Blue said, all the person is doing is focusing on how awesome their cartoon is and not child abuse.

I have offered to take my friends  (with cartoons or and one on FB)with me to the women's shelter during the holidays. Guess how many said they would love to go?

Also doesn't the cartoon thing kind of say, "Hey I had awesome memories as a child, so here's this cartoon I loved that some abused child probably won't understand or appreciate." Seriously, the people defending this FB move get serious side eye from me.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:5bdb37fb-0fff-4d14-abff-7d8c45e0c83f">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : TY Sun! Where the heck have you been?
    <p>Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>Stuck in the land of selection criteria, interviews and finishing off the PhD, I'm afraid. A couple more weeks and then I can return to the real world *touch wood*. </p><p> </p><p>How are you going?</p><p> </p><p>To randomly weigh in on the issue at hand: I work in the child protection field, so perhaps I have a different perspective as a result of that... I haven't changed my picture because the whole concept of these mass statuses/pictures (supposedly for various causes) seems stupid and mindless to me- and usually does nothing to support the cause they're stated to be trying to promote. As someone else mentioned, in this case the motive seems to be far more about reliving our youth than about protecting children... at the same time, I don't think it's doing any harm to the cause, either, and if it could garner a little media attention (as many facebook trends do) for child protection, that certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.</p>
  • I am good! I finished that massive APA style paper on heart disease, the glycemic index and fatty acid synthesis. And YAY! You are almost a doctor!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:a7f6e130-3cd1-40ff-98f9-83d83c409456">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my FB friends just put this as her status:  " IMPORTANT:the whole changing your profile picture to your favourite cartoon chatacter thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles, because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them, it was currently on the programme Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv ...some time tonight, put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back, thankyou"
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

2 of my friends have posted this as well.

Not sure if I am buying it though......
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2010

Yay for finishing APA paper! and yes, also yay for almost being a doctor! Just doing revisions at the moment, and then I will submit for assessment (and then, no doubt, will have more revisions to do before being conferred... but I'm getting there!).

Are you on holidays from uni now?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:49d31fda-225d-41c6-9ac1-d239edba370c">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : 2 of my friends have posted this as well. Not sure if I am buying it though......
    <p>Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>While it's true that paedophiles do use such lures for children, I highly doubt they'd want to convince everyone else to do so as well- hello competition!</p>
  • MV, I'm wondering if we saw two different chains. The one running around in that instance was "Today my bra is ____" and you entered the color. So every day was "Today my bra is orange" "today my bra is black" "today my bra is red" and not just a color. I feel like that's a little more, wtf, than it would have been if it were just posting a color
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:a7f6e130-3cd1-40ff-98f9-83d83c409456">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my FB friends just put this as her status:  " IMPORTANT:the whole changing your profile picture to your favourite cartoon chatacter thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles, because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them, it was currently on the programme Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv ...some time tonight, put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back, thankyou"
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

Mine too! I was just about to post this!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Saw that too. Although, I didn't find out anything confirming that online. But regardless, the whol thing was just weird to me.
  • Rick's!

"Wait... This wasn't the petition for getting the Dinosaurs back on primetime television? "Not the Mama!!!""

my fav comment on my wall to the dino status ;)
  • OMG I love you people. I was absent all weekend, and just kept thinking "WTF?!" as all these FB statuses kept changing to fucking cartoons. It was awesome to find this thread in here this morning. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards