Muslim Weddings

I'm not Muslim but...

I am Arab on my fathers side and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on incorperating some traditions into a christian wedding. I am not a christian but my mothers side of the family is and my FI's family is super christian. So I personally would be open to anything. I just want to find some traditonal Muslim things to add for myself but isnt to In your face because of other family members. I posted in traditions and it was suggested I ask here.
10.2011 Siggy
BM Dresses
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker
*Updated 1/21*

Re: I'm not Muslim but...

• edited December 2011
    FI is Arab. I am really sad they took out the Greek Orhodox board!!

We are getting married in the Orthodox church and doing all the tradional stuff. We found a distant cousin to do the catering so we are going to serve Meditranean food, with an antipaso spread with hummus, pita bread, kalamata olives, etc. and have jordan almonds on the candy buffet. I'm having problems finding her again, but I saw on Etsy.com a few months ago a lady that made crowns and matching cake toppers. I am also considering having a belly dancer during dinner, but I have not come to a decision yet on that.
  • edited December 2011
    just like there are so many variants of christianity (catholic, baptist, greek orthodox) there are also just as many variants of muslims. what country do you draw your heritage from? african muslim wedding ceremonies are significantly different than indonesian muslim weddings, as well as the many more variants from teh middle east.
  • edited December 2011
    My family is Lebanese. I love the culture so much but i dont know much about the religion.
    10.2011 Siggy
    BM Dresses
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    *Updated 1/21*
  • edited December 2011
    my FI and i'm christian.  He is egpytian so we going to do a few things his mother wants.  Such as have people follow us into the reception making lots of noise and such.  We also are going to play some arabic music at the reception.
  • silverphoenixsilverphoenix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is arab muslim and I'm non-religious, as far as asking for some traditions there are a lot you can do.  During your bachlorette party you have a small henna party and have someone who is good at it come in and decorate your hands and feet for the wedding.  Also serving traditional chai (tea) a mainstay of arab hospitality, so you could maybe incorporate that into your wedding.  I am planning on having traditional chai and maybe traditional arab coffee as well during my reception.  I have attended a few muslim weddings, and one awesome thing they do is, is they cut their cake with a sword instead of a knife.  My suggestion is that you maybe find either someone in your extended family, or maybe find a local mosque and learn about some other muslim traditions.
  • edited December 2011

honestly there's not many "Muslim " wedding traditions outside of anything religious - (like having a young boy (the ring barer) bring in a Qur'an and the bride and groom kiss it) .. if you want Arab, since you are not Muslim, the zaffa is a big one - that's when the bride and groom come in after the families are introduced and usually there is a small group of "musicians" that play the tabla - arabic drum- and sing about the arrival of the bride.. incorporating swords is also one.. the bride and groom could enter underneath them (some ppl just decorate long sticks with lace and stones).. and candles - before the bride and groom come in, a young girl with 2 very long very big decorated candles, walks in before them.. later on, the bride dances with the candles and all of the women in her wedding would stand around her, halfway through the song, the groom comes and puts out the candles (typically blows them out or with his hands) and they dance together..

sorry for the long message but i hope it helps!!! good luck and congrats!

• edited December 2011
    We are for sure doing the Henna ceremony the night before. I really like the idea of the young girl with the candle as well. Thanks a lot guys
    10.2011 Siggy
    BM Dresses
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    *Updated 1/21*
  • edited December 2011
    u can do so much i am having an egyptian/ persian wedding.. we will have the sofreh at ceremony then the zaffa band walk us into the reception followed with the 3 belly dancers.. then do an arabic dance with him and your dad ... have his fmaily give you your jewlery.. do the dabka dance..
  • edited December 2011
    hey everyone. I am christian, but I am 100% (or as close to it as possible) Syrian. My FI is an italian baptist (i know.. odd). We are incorporating my heritage by doing Syrian catering at the shower (where his family will get their first taste) :)

We are also going to have some syrian music and dancing for about a half hour during the reception. I am also considering asking my grandmother to make some syrian pastries as part of our favors.

Our ceremony- due to our date and conflicts with my church- will be at the hotel but when we return from our honeymoon we are doing a traditional (though SMALL) syrian orthodox ceremony at my church.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    wish this thread would keep going! its great information for someone in my situation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards