Just Engaged and Proposals

Platinum vs White Gold

So my fiance and I have decided on everything except the metal. He wants me to have platinum because it's a rare metal and he wants me to have something that not everyone has. I am concerned that the platinum will be dull and be more like gun metal. My cousin's wife has platinum and her ring is gray and just blah. Help!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Platinum vs White Gold

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2011
    White gold has the shine you're looking for but only because it's Rhodium plated. Be aware that the plating wears off over time and you will need to have your ring redipped to keep it shiny and new.  If you're ok with that go for white gold.  If you prefer not to have to maintenance it go with platinum.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do a little research on white gold-- if we had done this before we got my ring we would have absolutely gone with platinum.

There is no such thing as "white" gold. White gold is naturally somewhere between yellow gold and silver. It LOOKS yellow. What you are seeing when you're seeing white gold is actually rhodium plated white gold. As soon as the plating wears off it looks yellow. Some people can go a year or more between platings, but I know people who need to replate every couple of months. It all depends on the oils in your skin and the way your ring reacts to them. 

Most platinum is sold with rhodium plating as well but when the plating wears off it's just a darker silver color rather than a yellow color.

I hate the look of unplated white gold. My college ring is unplated white gold and I never wear it because it's ugly.
  • What pps said.

White gold is a dull yellow color (nickel & gold), it is the rhodium plating that is bright white. I had a white gold E-ring, but upgraded to platinum because I didn't like that the plating would wear off unevenly. I think you can re-dip platinum too, but check with your local jeweler to see if they can. I like how platinum ages, so I never checked into it.

Both metals scratch. However white gold actually loses the metal whereas platinum only displaces the metal.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • So what you are telling me is stop being paranoid and let him do what he wants and choose platinum? LoL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_platinum-vs-white-gold?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:c1e07bba-4782-4742-8e85-ab53b591b19fPost:119500f1-7b4e-4cf5-99ee-8cbd6cd6f2fa">Re: Platinum vs White Gold</a>:
    [QUOTE]So what you are telling me is stop being paranoid and let him do what he wants and choose platinum? LoL
    Posted by Kimberly0402[/QUOTE]

haha. It all depends on what you like. If you don't mind the mainteance of white gold and you want the bright white, then that might be the better option.

But if you are like me & are lazy about taking it to the jeweler every 6 months to a year, then maybe platinum is better. I'm sure whichever you pick your ring will be beautful.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Both my e-ring and wedding band are white gold. I usually only need to get them dipped once a year or so. Like pp's said, it really depends on how what kinds of chemicals you expose your rings to and your skin and how it reacts to the metal.

I love my rings and I have had people ask if they were platinum b/c they are so shiny.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_platinum-vs-white-gold?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c1e07bba-4782-4742-8e85-ab53b591b19fPost:d322e5bf-dd42-44f7-848a-eedbd10cfd6f">Re: Platinum vs White Gold</a>:
    [QUOTE]Both my e-ring and wedding band are white gold. I usually only need to get them dipped once a year or so. Like pp's said, it really depends on how what kinds of chemicals you expose your rings to and your skin and how it reacts to the metal. I love my rings and I have had people ask if they were platinum b/c they are so shiny.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  My ring is very shiny and also white gold.  I haven't had it that long so I don't know when I will have to get it redipped, but to me its worth it.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • They each have their pros and cons.  I went with white gold and I have no regrets.
  • The reason I didn't get platinum is because my friend had a platinum ring and she actually got a new ring that was white gold because she didn't like it--her reasoning was that it scratched entirely to easily.

I am rough with my hands, i go to the gym, do weightlifting etc.  these things are not good for a ring that scratches easily. So I went with white gold.

Another thing to mention, someone said something about being to lazy to take it to the jeweler for maintenance etc.  Know that a lot of jewelers require you to have you ring brought in for maintenance every 6 months if you got some sort of warranty on it, I figure if it needs to be replated I'll have it done then!

But with all that said, you need to pick what will be best for you!  If that is platinum go with it!
    Photobucket
  • My honey has decided that he has his heart set on getting me a platinum ring, just because he thinks its neat, and wants something that is really durable.  I sometimes wish he wasn't so picky, and would just get white gold because it is so much cheaper, but I have to admit the idea of platinum is really nice!  I am guessing I will get platinum with a smaller (actually, pretty small) diamond.  
    I actually got my boyfriend to pick out a ring on Blue Nile with me, and now he just has to order it and ask me...we'll see when that happens!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is white gold.  I was told by a jeweler (not the one we went with) that it's a lot easier to make white gold look new again than platinum.  Mine gets replated when I get it inspected every 6 months (they aren't dipped).  It's free and it makes it look so beautiful.  I think when it's all clean that it makes the diamond look bigger. 
  • So the final decision is that the ring will be white gold. I guess he went ring shopping after work these last few days. He's had the house to himself all week because I've been at my mom's doggy sitting while her and her fiance are in Boston for the week.  and asked about the gun metal color of platinum. Both jewelers said it's going to turn the dull/dark color, so he's going with white gold and we'll have it replated every once in a while.

Thank you for all of your thoughts, opinions, and knowledge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have white gold and I love it. Go with what you like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards