New Jersey

Did anyone else plan multiple makeup trials

or am I just a nut? I'm not good at makeup and, since I'm planning to leave it in the hands of the make-up artist, I want to see more than one interpretation. Also, I want an airbrush and a non-airbrush trial, but not at the same time.

I'm thinking Gina Brozon for the non-airbrush and Michelle LoConte or Jillyan Scarpa for the airbrush. Does anyone think Michelle is a better choice than Jillyan or vice versa?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Did anyone else plan multiple makeup trials

• edited December 2011
    Nope!  I don't think you're nuts!  :-)

I planned an airbrush trial with Jeanine Mangan and a non-airbrush trial with Gina Brozon a few weeks later, but after my trial with Jeanine I wound up cancelling with Gina because I loved what Jeanine did and her personality was awesome.

Regarding Jillyan vs. Michelle I have no idea, but I believe several girls on the board have made comments about Michelle's slightly flighty and somewhat brusque personality.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ellevellev member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Peaches! I originally had Jeanine Mangan booked, and was really confident about her and hadn't thought about more than one trial, but when I changed my date she wasn't available.

Good to know about Michelle's personality. Just from looking at her picture gallery though, it looks like she does a natural makeup look just a shade better than Jillyan. Jillyan is really nice though.

Has anyone used Oanh Klosek?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had 3 makeup trials before I was happy.  Also, don't always go on the galleries.  The first two trials I LOVED the pictures on their sites and ended up hating my makeup.  I booked Jillyan and loved the way she did my makeup as well as her personality.   I am not sure how Michelle is for makeup.  I had only considered her for hair (didn't end up booking her).  I personally wanted to have someone different for hair and makeup.
  • edited December 2011
    I will be using Michelle for hair and makeup.  I love makeup (several people have asked if I will be doing my own!) and had quite a few trials with different artists.  In regard to her personality, I thought she was extremely professional and to be fair, didn't find her to be flighty or brusque during any of our trials or email correspondances.  I did not meet with Gina or Jillyan so I cannot attest to their abilities but I am confident that Michelle will do a great job on my wedding day. 
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I did a trial with Jillyan to start and booked her on the spot beause she did such a great job.  I didn't book any other trials at first because I wanted to see how it went with Jillyan but planned on doing others if it didn't work out.   The day of my wedding, Jillyan had a family emergency and had to be out of town, and her association johanna Hale did my make-up and was amazing!  
  • wedwed11wedwed11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Jeanine Mangan, that stinks that she is booked.
    I have read on here a couple times that Michele isn't that great at makeup and is better for hair.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_did-anyone-else-plan-multiple-makeup-trials?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:82bbc2b2-f9d3-4fcc-ad78-efb8d84615bbPost:4f23d8bb-5942-4aff-bb2e-d158f8d7b40d">Re: Did anyone else plan multiple makeup trials</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did a trial with Jillyan to start and booked her on the spot beause she did such a great job.  I didn't book any other trials at first because I wanted to see how it went with Jillyan but planned on doing others if it didn't work out.   The day of my wedding, Jillyan had a family emergency and had to be out of town, and her association johanna Hale did my make-up and was amazing!  
    Posted by goaliegirl[/QUOTE]
    Ok, now I'm getting worried. You are the second person I've seen on TK that says this happened to her when she had Jillyan booked. The other person this happened to is MissButters.. she said Jillyan called her a few days before and said she had an emergency and needed to be in Chicago the day of her wedding. Her partner Michelle ended up doing her makeup.
    I am going for a trial with Jillyan later this month, but this really concerns me. I don't think its right to pay for a trial with a makeup artist, only to have them cancel on you at the last minute and have someone else do your makeup. Whether or not that person does a great job, that is not the person I hired, or paid for a trial and I would be extremely upset.
    Did you have a contract with Jillyan? MissButters had said she did not have a contract and had not given a deposit but I checked with Jillyan and she said she does provide a contract and will require a deposit.
    Her wedding date was 11-7-10, so this is obviously two separate occassions that Jillyan had an emergency and had someone else fill in for her.
    To me, that is unacceptable.. so now I'm totally confused and don't know if I want to use her at all!
    September 2011 Brides Siggy Challenge: Reception Venue imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Jillyan had told me yes, she was available all was ready to go. I asked her to send the contract to me, and I would send the deposit back. A week later I don't receive a contract, but rather an email saying that she decided to go on vacation instead but her assistant was available. I didn't book after that. And, while there was no contract, I felt snubbed b/c we had both agreed upon a price, she said she was sending the contract etc. It seems to be a common thing for her to cancel.

I used Michlle for hair, and did have an issue with her (even though it did not effect anyone's hair- everyone looked awesome) but can't say how she was on makeup.

I used Cristina Pignataro for makeup, and everyone looked amazing. She did both traditional and airbrush.
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_did-anyone-else-plan-multiple-makeup-trials?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:82bbc2b2-f9d3-4fcc-ad78-efb8d84615bbPost:4526ed81-e33e-4669-9194-bcfd954785c8">Re: Did anyone else plan multiple makeup trials</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jillyan had told me yes, she was available all was ready to go. I asked her to send the contract to me, and I would send the deposit back. A week later I don't receive a contract, but rather an email saying that she decided to go on vacation instead but her assistant was available. I didn't book after that. And, while there was no contract, I felt snubbed b/c we had both agreed upon a price, she said she was sending the contract etc. It seems to be a common thing for her to cancel. I used Michlle for hair, and did have an issue with her (even though it did not effect anyone's hair- everyone looked awesome) but can't say how she was on makeup. I used Cristina Pignataro for makeup, and everyone looked amazing. She did both traditional and airbrush.
    Posted by akmackay[/QUOTE]
    Wow, this is not good! thanks for the heads up. Had you gone for a trial with Jillyan when she pulled this? I will check out Cristina... thanks!
    September 2011 Brides Siggy Challenge: Reception Venue imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards