Not Engaged Yet

What do you think about this ring?

My boyfriend and I went to look at rings today. I was soooo nervous. Just wanted you all to see this ring. I love it btw. It is 2 carats t.w and about $2200. Anywho, my bf was thinking about financing the ring after the 20% down. Its no interest during the first year. Could anyone guess how much his payments would be a month if he puts $500 down. Or would layaway be better? We are planning to get married July 2012. And we talked about getting engaged March 2011. I know i know, no surprise. But its okay with me. Thanks in advance!

Re: What do you think about this ring?

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    2200 - 500 = 1700.  So, if he's planning on paying it off within a year to avoid paying interest, divide 1700 by 12, and that's about $142 a month.  No interest financing is always an attractive option, but try to make sure he doesn't buy a ring he can't afford, interest-free or no.  If he's not sure whether he can make the payments, layaway would be better.

It's a pretty ring, though I'm not a huge fan of diamond clusters in leiu of real center stones.  For the same price, you could get a close to half-carat center stone (check out www.bluenile.com) in a simple setting, and it will look more sophisticated.  Of course, if diamond clusters are your thing, then go for it.
  • nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree with Elle-I also do not like clusters but you are the one wearing it.  I would not finance it with the economy like it is but then again only you know what his employment situation, loving arrangements, etc are.  Something always comes up so to me it is best not to bring it home until paid off.  March is only six months away and that was when you were planning on getting engaged any-why not get engaged debt free?

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, it's a little much for me and the price seems rather low for being 2 ct t.w. What are the quality of the diamonds?

Also, if you're already picking out rings, why wait until March '11 to get engaged? That doesn't make any sense to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicWhite Knot
    "A story has a beginning, middle and end, but not necessarily in that order." - Jean-Luc Godard
  • edited December 2011
    I am not a fan of the clusters either, but if you like it, then go for it.  If you are waiting to be "engaged," maybe he can just save up the money and buy a ring when he's ready to?  Your taste of rings might change by next year.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of clusters, but even if I were, this ring looks too busy.  There are tiny diamonds everywhere (and not in a good way)!  It makes it look less like an engagement ring and more like a promise ring.  Personally, I think a larger center stone (1/2 carat or so) with a plain band would look better than this--and it would cost about the same amount of money.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's pretty.    If you do get it, make sure that you have some kind of warranty.  It's more than likely that some of the stones will fall out.  I personally would recommend either layaway or having your BF save up the complete amount.  If he doesn't get it paid off during the 12 months, the interest rate will be crazy.  
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's your style, it's fine.

My only question is, would you wear a wedding band with it? Have you tried on some bands with it to see how they would look together? This ring looks like it has a large band, which makes me wonder about adding a wedding band to it.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of the cluster either- but that is totally your decision.  From the picture it looks like this is a bridal set, correct? It looks like it has two wedding bands... you should look into a solatire and then you can get an enhancer or a fancy wedding band to "jazz" it up!

My bf and I are in the same situation.. we looked at rings ONCE, and while I am soo anxious, him being an accountant, wants to wait until he has the money saved up for the ring because "life happens" apparently =)

Anniversary
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm never a fan of financing, even interest free, because as previous poster said, "life happens".  It's better not to commit yourself to something you can't afford now.  It would be better for him to save up that amount of money each month and buy it when he has enough saved.  Plus, cash up front usually is a great negotiating tool so you can often get a great discount by paying without financing.

As far as my opinion on the ring, I think it's way too big and flashy for my style.

Anniversary

• Princess*CutPrincess*Cut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay the ring is a bridal set. It is a engagement ring with 2 bands with diamonds. The warranty is $156 and since I have a house it will be added to my homeowners insurance. The warranty includes repairs, scratches, diamonds falling out, etc. The first thing i told the dealer was that I did NOT want a solitiare. They are soooo boring to me unless I get an enhancer.

Also the picuture does it no justice. i didnt have it on my finger 2 minutes and this couple complemented me on the the set. As far as the financing we have agreed that he would just save up the next 6 months and get the ring. We are not looking to get engaged until early/mid next year. We just went looking so he could get an idea on what I like. The ring had an excellent price tag and the clarity and color isnt too shabby. The dealer also explained to us in great detail about diamonds. I could have easily gotten a large 1 ct solitaire but I dont want that. I like this ring. We will continue to search around for rings as far as cost. But I think this is the one. But I am still open to looking.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is another ring I liked originally. Never saw it in person but it is $4500 (way out of our budget). Its 1 3/4 carat t.w and the center stone is 0.59. Also my bf likes this horrendous all black tungsten ring. Couldnt find a pic; its awful. But hey you like what you like.
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    I think that if you will have no problem continuing to save and have an "emergency" fund and you're both in secure jobs, interest free financing CAN be a good option.

My H and I went with that, and it's worked well for us.

That said, the ring is not at all to my taste. I don't mean to be hurtful by saying this, but you asked for opinions, so I'm going to be completely honest.

I think it's gaudy.

You'd be much better off, IMHO, going with, as PPs mentioned, a larger center stone and simple setting.

You can always re-set a larger center stone in a more ornate setting for a 5 year anniversary or similar.

That said, YOU are the one who will be wearing it, not me. Get what you like.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol, you know what. I have seen some of the most awful dresses, rings, wedding pictures, etc. That being said, now I understand why those people preferred those things. I like what I like. The ring is Fabolous to me! My bf loves it as well. If you think my ring is bad... you should see the one he wants for himself lol. If any of you gals are married or engaged can I please get a look at your rings. Just to get an idea. Thanks!
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    You absolutely should go with what you like. I'm just giving an honest opinion since you asked. I think something like the pic below is more elegant. This is a half carat stone. (from bluenile.com). And would cost you about $2500.

ETA: I don't have an issue with lots of sidestones. But I really dislike clusters. It looks so much more elegant to have a larger center stone and simpler band. But again, that is my taste, and the world would be a boring taste if everyone liked the same things! Go for what you like and is in your budget. Just wanted to show you another option in the same price range. It never hurts to know what else is out there.

Furthermore, more people are going with moissanite, which is a beautiful, affordable alternative to diamonds. www.moissaniteco.com

You can get a ring like this, with a stone that is about the same diameter as a 1 ct diamond, for $900.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    If it's your style, more power to ya. Just be sure that you are getting quality. Honestly, you can have a stinkin 3ct diamond that costs nothing because of a crummy quality. For all of the "bling", the pricetag seems small.
    I'm have pretty simplistic tastes personally, so you can imagine my ring, dress and wedding would probably not be your style. To each their own, so my opinion on it wouldn't really mean anything. If it's what you love, it's what you love. And if you both can make it happen, more power to ya. I do suggest setting aside a little whenever you can to make the purchase a little less overwhelming. Definitely don't want to have to pay for that on top of all the other wedding stuff when the time comes.

For kicks, here's a picture of my ring, I didn't want to get a band to match, I'm just gonna have it engraved sometime soon.

Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I always pictured you as a princess cut kind of gal..

I'm not a fan of the clusters but it's your ring, not mine. GL!

• deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_think-this-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1dda7cb4-dac8-4d91-8348-367c54153c29Post:e0ba18a5-6468-493b-ab3c-13563bd14b74">Re: What do you think about this ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, it's a little much for me and the price seems rather low for being 2 ct t.w. What are the quality of the diamonds? <strong>Also, if you're already picking out rings, why wait until March '11 to get engaged? That doesn't make any sense to me.</strong>
    Posted by GeePeeBee[/QUOTE]

<div><font face="Arial" size="3" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">Don't know if this is at all the case of OP, but I told BF I'd rather wait until August '11 because I've always had my heart set on getting engaged in Disney. Plus that allows us time to get settled in the house and see how both of our careers are going to work out.</span></font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="3" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">
    </span></font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="3" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">Oh and that ring is a bit too much for me. I'm not a jewelry person so something simple is more my style. But like other people have said it's your ring, if you and BF like it that's what matters.</span></font></div>
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_think-this-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1dda7cb4-dac8-4d91-8348-367c54153c29Post:74c99423-dd9e-4ecc-87d8-1b815ff872e6">Re: What do you think about this ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I always pictured you as a princess cut kind of gal</strong>.. I'm not a fan of the clusters but it's your ring, not mine. GL!
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]

YES! I was thinking the same thing!
  • edited December 2011
    Love the pics of the rings you posted Desertsun! I really like the simple elegance of those rings.
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also not a huge fan of that ring. I understand wanting something different though. I wanted something kind of funky/ unique.... turns out my DH is much more classic than I am.

What do you think about somehting like this:

ETA: So I wrote this out and posted with FI. I suppose that should be DH.... still haven't quite gotten used to that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uh, the rings are nice however not what i would generally choose. Loopy that ring is half bad but not wanting to spend tooo much on a ring. What is the color and clarity on it.
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think with the ring I posted you buy the band then the stone seperately. Therefore you can get any cut you would like.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My personal opinion is that if you can't afford to pay for a ring in full, you shouldn't buy that ring.

I would save your money and see where you get.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_think-this-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1dda7cb4-dac8-4d91-8348-367c54153c29Post:9c25a73b-27b1-434f-a44f-92c15a9113b8">Re: What do you think about this ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My personal opinion is that if you can't afford to pay for a ring in full, you shouldn't buy that ring. I would save your money and see where you get.
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]
    Ditto.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • edited December 2011

This is my ring:

The center stone is 1ct, E color, VVS1, Cushion Cut.  The setting has 56 diamonds with a tcw of around .7.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Shoes, you just wanted an excuse to show off that gorgeous bling again!  Laughing

Oh, I love your new avatar pic of you and your FI, by the way!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_think-this-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1dda7cb4-dac8-4d91-8348-367c54153c29Post:c7c6cfc9-ef37-42e1-9374-b6b878d6245f">Re: What do you think about this ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shoes, you just wanted an excuse to show off that gorgeous bling again!  Oh, I love your new avatar pic of you and your FI, by the way!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>I confess, I am such an AW when it comes to the bling.  I love showing it off!  Thanks.  I tried uploading our pic as my signature several times yesterday, but to no avail.  I'm just not technologically savvy that way.</div><div>
    </div><div>We went to get the ring appraised and I was shocked at what a good deal FI got on my ring by purchasing it in Mexico.  Don't get me wrong, he still paid a pretty penny, but he only paid HALF of what it it's worth!</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Well we do have a mortgage payment, 2 cars payments, utilities, food, insurance, etc to pay for. So why not save or finance on a ring that is interest free? Plus its only $2200, my bf can have that paid off in 6 months with half down. Its really whenever he wants to get it. We were just exploring our options. And btw princess cut is just a name lol. It is my 2nd favorite next to a round diamond.

• calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Interest free financing is a great tool when used appropriately.  But too often it's used as a crutch when simple savings would be the less expensive and risky option.  For people who have a habit of not carrying debt unnecessarily, it's fine to use interest free financing.  But it should be used as a way of buying something you can afford, not as a way of getting something you can't afford and dealing with it later.  I'm sure you know what I mean.  And when the payments aren't made within the allotted time, the interest is retroactive to the beginning and can really kill you.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Pics are in my bio.  I go towards solitaires myself, but you should get what you like.  FYI, make sure that you read carefully what will be covered if you insure your ring through your homeowner's insurance.  Sometimes they only cover theft or loss, not necessarily damages to the item.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards