Michigan-Grand Rapids

Lake Michigan Private Residence Recommendations?

We're trying to find a private residence on Lake Michigan to hold our ceremony and reception in July 2012 but we're having trouble finding anything suitable (ex.backyard is too steep/uneven to accomodate a large tent) or affordable.  Most houses require a week-long rental and at $6000/week - that puts a major dent in my budget :/

We're looking anywhere along the southwest michigan coast (st. joe all the way up to holland area) and we need to fit about 200 guests.  We've gone through all the vrbo.com and homeaway.com listings without too much luck. 

If you have any recommendations of properties you've been to for weddings or other webistes we can check, I'd love to hear them! Thanks! :)

Re: Lake Michigan Private Residence Recommendations?

• jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly your best bet might be to travel to those cities and ask around / drive around looking for signs.  Anything right on the water is going to be pricey simply because it's on the water.  Esp since you need something larger, it's going to jump the price up significantly.

Sorry I can't be more help.  Good luck.

Edit:  You could also try further up the shoreline, like Traverse City and Petoskey area.  Will be plenty warm since it's in June.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • akhensley81akhensley81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is not a private residence, but it still might be worth looking at. Camp Geneva north of Holland has an adorable chapel that is perched on top of the dunes overlooking Lake Michigan. They also have a good-sized yard where an outdoor ceremony could be held.. also on top of the dunes overlooking the lake. There is space on the beach for a ceremony as well, but I'm not sure if it's enough space to comfortably fit 200 people.
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a few people that have had their wedding at Ventura Pine, which is a private rental - http://venturapinescottage.com/ - I would check that out and see if it woud work.
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• edited December 2011
    Wow.  Thanks for the recommendations.  Camp Geneva & Ventura Pines both look gorgeous!  Fingers crossed the costs are what we want them to be :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Lake Michigan Private Residence Recommendations?:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  Thanks for the recommendations.  Camp Geneva & Ventura Pines both look gorgeous!  Fingers crossed the costs are what we want them to be :)
    Posted by d0roell[/QUOTE]
    Hi, I am in a very similar dilemma. Although cost isn't an issue it's finding a spot that can hold at least 250 people on Lake Michigan. I wanted Camp Bloggett but it's to small. Camp Geneva doesn't do weddings anymore. I am thinking Ventura Pines but I not sure if it's to small. I currently live in NYC and I am trying to plan my wedding in Michigan because I was born and raised in Holland. Anyway I am curious to know WHERE you ended up having your wedding on Lake Michigan. Anyone that could offer suggestions please help. It would be a June 2014 wedding.
    Thank you!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards