Virginia-Richmond

Shopping for Bridal Gown

My wedding is September 3rd.
Where should I go to look for gowns & bridsmaids. I've been to Davids Bridal. I am trying to stay under 1500 but am willing to look above if its the right one!

Thanks

Re: Shopping for Bridal Gown

• klsheriffklsheriff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have plenty of time to look, so start trying on more dresses!  I got mine from David's Bridal, for around $500, which I was thrilled about as most of my friends spent well over $1000 on theirs.  I was able to spend more on some fabulous jewelry since I saved on the dress.  The key with David's is to make an appointment.  And I wouldn't go when girls are shopping for their prom dresses.  I also went with David's for bridesmaids dresses.  I only have two (of 5) bridesmaids in the area, so it was easy for everyone to find the same color at their local store and pick which dress they wanted.  Have fun!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Alfred Angelo which I do not recommend. The dresses are pretty (that is where my bridesmaid dresses came from) but they are utterly disorganized! They got sizing wrong, names wrong, and phone numbers wrong. However, if you can get over that they do have some nice and reasonably priced dresses.

I went to Jingles, which was very nice but it would be tough to find a dress in that price range. However, they have more trunk shows than the other stores in the area so you could get a designer gown with a pretty hefty discount.

I went to Tiffany's and had the BEST service! Dresses of all price ranges and super helpful staff.... I wanted to get a dress there on principle!

I also went to Bella Rosa, which is where I ultimately got my dress from. Great service, nice new store that is set up to really give the full "bridal" experience. They also have dresses of all price ranges there and I found mine for about what you are looking to spend!

Hope this helps and happy shopping!
  • AlcoxAlcox member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to David's Bridal and I agree about going during a slow time. I went on a Sunday afternoon and it was way too packed.

I had the opposite experience with Alfred Angelo. Charmaine was my consultant and she was great. She's even called me to let me know about sales and events since she knew I was trying to save money.

I haven't been to Tiffany's but they are going to start carrying Maggie Sottero and the end of the month. I LOVE her dresses and according to the Maggie website, Tiffany's will be the only place carrying her line in Richmond. They're having a trunk show the 29th through the 1st of April I think.

~Ashley
  • tammyfatammyfa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kind of went backwards and found dresses/designers online that I like and have been going around the state to the stores that carry them. I'm trying to stay under your budget as well. I'm avoiding David's, mostly because they don't carry the lines I'm looking for, but also because of the cattle-herding atmosphere there.

I just went this weekend to Bridal Elegance for the Allure trunk show and had a great experience. They're very nice and helpful and attentive and didn't overbook appts. All their dresses are under $1600 too! Great selection of hair accessories and veils. I think I found my dress here but have two others I want to look at to be sure :).

Been to Sestra. They were helpful and nice, but the "bridal" experience is a little different. Hard to explain really. Selection was a little small but they had a lot of dresses on sale, like $200 on sale. They haven't gotten their 2011 collections in yet :(

My friend went to Bella Rosa and loved it. Said her consultant was amazing and she ended up getting her dress there.

I'm headed to Caryn's in Farmville this weekend for another trunk show. I've heard mixed things about them (mostly about the service) but they have a little of all the designers I'm looking for and are priced very well.

I can't wait for the Maggie Sottero trunk show at Tiffany's at the end of the month and for them to start carrying Maggie. LOVE. 
  • edited December 2011
    just an update** Thank you so much for all your input!
    I went to Davids, Tiffany's, and Bridal Elegance. Tiffany's was excellent service, I would suggest "Kitty" if you go.
    But... I found THE DRESS at Bridal Elegance. Its just wonderful. I'm excited to go back and purchase the dress. My mom is headed up to VA this weekend and I hope I get the same service as I did last week!

Thanks again !!
  • edited December 2011
    did you end up buying from bridal elegance?  if so do you have good review of their alterations department as far as price and quality of work?  thanks
  • edited December 2011

if you end up having to have alterations done will you please give a review of what you think about the alterations department? thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards