Not Engaged Yet

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always forget that the drinking age in the US is 21. Just out of curiousity - for those of you who use the line that you should be of legal drinking age before you get married, do you really mean that that only applies in the States or other countries as well?

I have to UO to share (although one might not be so unpopular)

1) I think cars should have breathalyzers installed in them. This seems to me like it would be a better way of preventing drunk driving (although there are obvious loopholes to it, but more effective than what we have now).

2) Regardless of whether or not you call it pro-life or anti-choice, it shouldn't be simplified down to believing that a woman shouldn't have a choice over her body. I believe that a fetus is more than just an extension of her body, and it shouldn't be simply dumbed down to that. I find that just as offensive as some of you find it offensive to be considered anti-life. I would like to see more respect given to the life of that baby, and I am extremely pro-adoption. You may disagree with me and that's okay; I disagree with a lot of people on this and I'm okay with that ;) But that's my opinion. And I know it's unpopular on here haha.

Oh I thought of a third one:

3) I agree with being neutral towards all religions, but I think some people are starting to take it too far and actually becoming ANTI-religion.
  • edited December 2011
    I am a lurker and never post BUT...

I do NOT think the drinking age should be 18- a student in high school should not be able to go to the bars after class, as well as I do not think that 18 year olds in high school are responsible enough to drink and NOT drive. I DO think the drinking age should be 19.

Unpopular opinion as well- I always considered myself pro choice because well, it's my (your) body and we should be able to decide as well that there are many people who just shouldn't have a child. However now I am extremely against this and pro life. I think there is no reason you shoudln't be responsible for carrying that child around for 9 months and at the end of it someone should be able to adopt your child. There are SO MANY individuals wanting to be parents and so many who want to adopt. I don't see any reason why each person can't give birth and then let that baby go to a good parent. I'm sure this is unpopular :) But in high school I knew girls who got abortions and I truly believe that they would just be too embarassed of being pregnant than to let that child live the full term and then give up the baby for adoption. 
  • edited December 2011
    bren - I especially agree with you on #2 and #3.  nice to know I'm not the only one.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:86edfd4c-55cb-4454-ac1a-8655181a1ea2">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions :I hate on technical universities a lot. It's not that I don't think those institutions don't teach valuable skills, but I don't consider them universities. And don't get me started on online schools. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I think that technical schools have their place.  They just are NOT universities.  The commercials make me go bonkers.  Any 'school' that advertises on television is a joke.  How much more obvious could they be about being FOR PROFIT than advertising on television?

Exception:  Universities and colleges that 'advertise' for their own school during their own football games.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:70f967e4-a90c-4e9b-9171-a5734cf8c038">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think what colleges (including my expensive private college from which I have two degrees) are teaching these days is not useful to our society. I have a minor in philosophy forfuckssake. What the hell good is that doing me? My degree in developmental psych wouldn't let me do ANYTHING, hence why I went forward to get a master's in the field. I think that "liberal arts" needs to stop meaning a course in English, a course in science, a course in philosophy. It should be: - Personal Finance: How Not to Completely F*ck Up Your Life By Getting into Debt - Communication: How to Interact with Other Human Beings and Not Be a Douche - Computers: Just Because You Know How To Facebook Doesn't Mean You Know Fuckall About Programs That Will Help You with Employment - Life Skills: How to Wash Your Laundry when Mommy Won't Do It Anymore; How to Do Basic Repair Work So You Don't Have to Call Your Daddy; etc.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I agree with this so much! Honestly, getting a liberal arts degree is probably my biggest regret in life. With the exception of foreign languages, I don't think you really learn anything from them.

My mom essentially forced me into staying with a political science degree in hopes I would still go to law school. I received my dad's survivor benefits from social security after he died, and it went to a trust fund that helped pay for my school. My mom is the primary holder on the account until I am 25, because she doesn't trust me to be responsible. She told me she would quit giving me the money if I changed my major. Now she's pissed because I don't have a lucrative career.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:8bd69ac9-b9d1-467f-9f28-d3ee39b4b538">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a lurker and never post BUT... I do NOT think the drinking age should be 18- a student in high school should not be able to go to the bars after class, as well as I do not think that 18 year olds in high school are responsible enough to drink and NOT drive. <strong>I DO think the drinking age should be 19. </strong>Unpopular opinion as well- I always considered myself pro choice because well, it's my (your) body and we should be able to decide as well that there are many people who just shouldn't have a child. However now I am extremely against this and pro life. <strong>I think there is no reason you shoudln't be responsible for carrying that child around for 9 months and at the end of it someone should be able to adopt your child.</strong> There are SO MANY individuals wanting to be parents and so many who want to adopt. I don't see any reason why each person can't give birth and then let that baby go to a good parent. I'm sure this is unpopular :) But in high school I knew girls who got abortions and I truly believe that they would just be too embarassed of being pregnant than to let that child live the full term and then give up the baby for adoption. 
    Posted by Bthor[/QUOTE]

What does the one year difference make? You can go to a bar right after your COLLEGE class, get drunk, get in a car, and kill someone.

I would not want to sacrifice my body and my comfort level carrying a child I do not want. I think it is commendable that some women do this and give their child up for adoption to a loving, nurturing couple, but I could never do it. Should a woman who gets pregnant as a result of rape be forced to carry around the reminder of the attack for 9 months?
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:ef158235-d494-46fa-a957-e4dbb4d58500">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : You don't see an inconsistency with being able to die for your country but not being able to drink a beer? Going out to bar and getting sh!t-faced can happen at any age.  High school kids get alcohol and have parties anyways.  It isn't like being underage stops any of that. 
    Posted by TheMutleys[/QUOTE]

Well for one I believe that joining the military is an honorable decesion. Getting sh**faced is not.
    I just don't see why joining the military and having a beer always seem to go hand-in-hand with these arguments. An eighteen year old is joining the military to get a career. Should they have to wait until they're twenty one to join because that's the age they can go out and have a beer?
    Just because highschoolers drink anyway doesn't mean the drinking age should be lowered. Underage drinking would be even more common and rampant if it was legal.
    White Knot
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:68bcdde6-bb41-4a5e-9315-83928732a8e8">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always forget that the drinking age in the US is 21. Just out of curiousity - for those of you who use the line that you should be of legal drinking age before you get married, do you really mean that that only applies in the States or other countries as well? I have to UO to share (although one might not be so unpopular) 1) I think cars should have breathalyzers installed in them. This seems to me like it would be a better way of preventing drunk driving (although there are obvious loopholes to it, but more effective than what we have now). <strong>2) Regardless of whether or not you call it pro-life or anti-choice, it shouldn't be simplified down to believing that a woman shouldn't have a choice over her body. I believe that a fetus is more than just an extension of her body, and it shouldn't be simply dumbed down to that.</strong> I find that just as offensive as some of you find it offensive to be considered anti-life. I would like to see more respect given to the life of that baby, and I am extremely pro-adoption. You may disagree with me and that's okay; I disagree with a lot of people on this and I'm okay with that ;) But that's my opinion. And I know it's unpopular on here haha. Oh I thought of a third one: 3) I agree with being neutral towards all religions, but I think some people are starting to take it too far and actually becoming ANTI-religion.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I respect your opinion, but I just want to say that, for me, the issue is that if you make abortion illegal, you are essentially saying that the fetus has more rights than the woman. You are forcing that woman to be pregnant. Pregnancy affects HER body. That is how people get to the argument that women should be able to make choices for themselves that involve their bodies. </div><div>
    </div><div>I personally think it's BS to say a fetus has more rights than an adult woman. Children simply do NOT have individual adult freedoms and choices. That is a fact.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:b257fc40-5355-43e9-a05b-030943cf28fc">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : What does the one year difference make? You can go to a bar right after your COLLEGE class, get drunk, get in a car, and kill someone.<strong> I would not want to sacrifice my body and my comfort level carrying a child I do not want. I think it is commendable that some women do this and give their child up for adoption to a loving, nurturing couple, but I could never do it. Should a woman who gets pregnant as a result of rape be forced to carry around the reminder of the attack for 9 months?</strong>
    Posted by GreenPepperBurger[/QUOTE]

just curious, but since this is your argument, are you then for the regulations that stipulate that there must be harm to the mother, product of rape/incest, etc. in order to receive an abortion?  if this is your argument, then it doesn't really hold water for open abortion laws.  so where do you stand?

ETA:  obviously, just your second statement.  just want some clarification, I was left a little confused. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:693dd6dc-6935-4467-b518-090c47120eff">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Well for one I believe that joining the military is an honorable decesion. Getting sh**faced is not. I just don't see why joining the military and having a beer always seem to go hand-in-hand with these arguments. An eighteen year old is joining the military to get a career. Should they have to wait until they're twenty one to join because that's the age they can go out and have a beer? Just because highschoolers drink anyway doesn't mean the drinking age should be lowered. <strong>Underage drinking would be even more common and rampant if it was legal.</strong>
    Posted by alanna91[/QUOTE]

No, it wouldn't - it would be regulated. A PP has stated that in European countries, where the drinking ages are 16-18, there are LESS alcohol-related incidents. The same way that drug use would decrease if it were legal.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:18e086ad-3550-4f63-ac15-33dce1d76c82">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I respect your opinion, but I just want to say that, for me, the issue is that if you make abortion illegal, you are essentially saying that the fetus has more rights than the woman. You are forcing that woman to be pregnant. Pregnancy affects HER body. That is how people get to the argument that women should be able to make choices for themselves that involve their bodies.  I personally think it's BS to say a fetus has more rights than an adult woman. Children simply do NOT have individual adult freedoms and choices. That is a fact.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

I know it's controversial. And I know there are issues with it. And to be honest, I'm not sure I would want it to be entirely illegal, because I have problems with just outright banning something.

But the abortion affects the child as well. And I just can't look past that entirely and say that I'm 100% pro-choice.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:f8700ce5-adc0-45f3-8b61-eadd66708c26">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : just curious, but since this is your argument, are you then for the regulations that stipulate that there must be harm to the mother, product of rape/incest, etc. in order to receive an abortion?  if this is your argument, then it doesn't really hold water for open abortion laws.  so where do you stand?
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

I am pro-choice. If a woman wants to have an abortion for whatever reason, then she should be allowed to do so UP UNTIL A CERTAIN POINT. I am in no way in favor of late-term abortions. I feel that if you're still at a point in your pregnancy where the fetus could not survive on its own outside of the womb, then you should be allowed to have an abortion. However, I do think there should be a 'cap' on the number of abortions one woman could have, lest there are any physical reasons why she cannot continue with the pregnancy.
  • edited December 2011
    why not, yaga?  what about those of us who participated in the "real world" and simultaneously took college courses and graduated with a degree in 4-6 years following high school?  :) 

I can see your point when talking about those kids that only lived a college life with no real-world responsibilities and little to no accountability, but I think you've got a blanket statement/generalization going on there.  :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:7e03384f-d2b0-4e74-b2fa-f66be74e65ac">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also don't believe that everyone should go to college.  I think that many teenagers are forced into going because it what they are supposed to do.  I don't believe that everyone is prepared for college academically.
    Posted by TheMutleys[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's almost like it's backwards. I was applying to college and trying to decide on my career when I was sixteen. I had no clue what I wanted to be.

And jemmini, I definitely agree with what you say. "So if you screw around and fail out, that's YOUR money that you just wasted". I know plenty of classmates that went to school to party and had mantras like "C's and D's get the degrees". They acted that way because they weren't paying for anything.
    However, I'm iffy about all 16 year olds getting part time jobs. I started working almost 30 hours a week when I was 15. I wish I had concentrated more on school than work at that time. I almost feel that school should be a young person's only job in order to guarantee them acceptance into a good university and then a successful career....but I know that's not possible.
    White Knot
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:54afe531-933a-4b7a-89b2-4d912157e622">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that driver's licenses should be harder to obtain than what we have now.  There are TOO many people on the road that literally don't know how to drive.  And to that if you DON'T have car insurance then you get your license taken away and your car impounded. 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can pay an "uninsured driver" fee in VA and NOT be required to have car insurance.  Which means I have to pay an uninsured drivers' part of MY insurance (in case they hit me...wtf)

My unpop opinion is....I really don't believe in abortion except in cases of rape or harm to the mother.  It also shocks me how many 16 & preggers people chose to parent - I really think "parenting" is a skill that you can't just pick up one day.  Sure, we all have to once the kid is born, but I think it's best to be prepared to parent and not just wing it.  I just don't know how you can be prepared at 16 (if you're still in HS and don't have any income worth speaking of.)

I also completely agree that once you have a big person job you should cut the cord financially from your parents, but my dad still totally pays my $13/month cell phone bill.  It'd be at least $60/month if I paid it.  So I'm also a hypocrite :)  but daddy does NOT pay for my rent, car insurance, medical insurance, etc. etc. etc. 

I should read the rest of this thread before I go too crazy :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    GPB - thanks for the clarification!  appreciate it!
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:f6785e86-9a29-478b-95cb-bb7888c28033">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I might get beat up for this, but I am in support of using animal models for research.  Of course, I might be biased...
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Though I think then it comes down to where a person draws the line.  Using mice tends to be accepted, but once we move into bunnies, dogs, chimps and other animals that humans have deemed cute, cuddly and intelligent and it becomes a WHOLE other subject.  I was just reading an article the other day the Slate about how dogs were taken from homes to be sold into research facilities.  This particular article followed a family in their search for Pepper their family Dalmatian.  At the end of the article Pepper was sold to a Brooklyn research center and she passed away when researchers where testing out a new pace maker in her. 

It is a very thin line between the advancement of medicine and the ill treatment of animals.  But I think that if the animals are being treated with the utmost respect and care then I support animal use in research testing.  The same goes for my support with stem cell research.  My father has Parkinson's and I honestly believe there is a cure for it though stem cell research. 
  • Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:f27bc716-feaa-464f-b8a4-1d3a27fdcd4a">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I am pro-choice. If a woman wants to have an abortion for whatever reason, then she should be allowed to do so UP UNTIL A CERTAIN POINT. I am in no way in favor of late-term abortions. I feel that if you're still at a point in your pregnancy where the fetus could not survive on its own outside of the womb, then you should be allowed to have an abortion. However, I do think there should be a 'cap' on the number of abortions one woman could have, lest there are any physical reasons why she cannot continue with the pregnancy.

I completely and totally agree with everything here.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:2fa83301-444a-4500-8d3e-aa47c5d54558">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : THIS! I absolutely abhor that freaking dance.
    Posted by csousa1[/QUOTE]

I love line dancing.  I suck at regular dancing.  I can follow patterns like a pro!  (obviously this is much more unpopular)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:bc3d9ce7-276f-407f-a08b-32275c417a4f">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : No, it wouldn't - it would be regulated. A PP has stated that in European countries, where the drinking ages are 16-18, there are LESS alcohol-related incidents. The same way that drug use would decrease if it were legal.

European countries have had those regulations for years, though. It's not even an issue with them. If the drinking age were to be lowered tomorrow in the USA, their would be complete chaos. It would take at the least a generation before a lower drinking age would become commonplace.
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    I think that in industrialized Western society people should wait to get engaged/married.  I don't think it has anything do with the drinking age.  I think that the drinking age is thrown around in the US because it is closer to the age at which some people think that someone is mature enough to make such a big decision.

In terms of pro-life/pro-choice...
    I am even more pro-choice now after being pregnant.  Pregnancy is NOT easy on the human body.  Just as I think the choice of what to do in the event of an unplanned pregnancy isn't easy.  I think the only person who should be allowed to make that choice is the woman (and her mate, if she involves him) in the situation. 

I respect those who believe that life begins at conception.  I just see so many gray areas that it is hard to dictate when it is appropriate to tell a woman that she must continue a pregnancy and when it isn't.  I think that it is horrific to tell a woman that she must endure a pregnancy that was a result of rape or incest.  I think that drug addicts being forced to carry a child who may have a severely limited quality of life is something that I don't want the government deciding.  I also think that using abortion as a form of birth control is horrific.   

I think the lengths that some pro-life laws go to force women into not having an abortion border on cruel and unusual punishment. 

I do think that adoption should be more widely spoken about.  However, I don't think that it should be forced on any woman either.  I don't think that the only choices a woman should have are keep an unplanned pregnancy or give the child up for adoption. 

Then again, my husband and I both agree that there are instances where we would teminate a WANTED pregnancy.  I know that is unpopular and I am okay with being judged for it.  

I do find it somewhat comical that the same US political party is for less government AND for the government dictating what a woman does during pregnancy.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:b257fc40-5355-43e9-a05b-030943cf28fc">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : <strong>What does the one year difference make?</strong> You can go to a bar right after your COLLEGE class, get drunk, get in a car, and kill someone. I would not want to sacrifice my body and my comfort level carrying a child I do not want. I think it is commendable that some women do this and give their child up for adoption to a loving, nurturing couple, but I could never do it. Should a woman who gets pregnant as a result of rape be forced to carry around the reminder of the attack for 9 months?

<div>
    </div><div>It's the difference between high school and college- in my OPINION, only mine, I realize others may be different, high school and college is a big difference. </div>
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I guess I should come up with something a little more substantial than the electric slide so....

I think marajuana should be legalized. 

And no, I don't smoke it. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:30e9548a-a4e6-4b73-9488-970ca847ee5c">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : European countries have had those regulations for years, though. It's not even an issue with them. If the drinking age were to be lowered tomorrow in the USA, their would be complete chaos. It would take at the least a generation before a lower drinking age would become commonplace.
    Posted by alanna91[/QUOTE]

Of course you can't do it overnight. I just think it's an illogical double-standard.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    - Having grown up with being able to drink at 19, I see no problem with it at all. Considering almost everyone I knew was drinking closer to 13, I see it more as an education issue than a legal ability issue.

- I consider myself pro-choice not pro abortion. I think it is ideal if someone wants to give their baby up for adoption rather than have an abortion. However, I do think anyone who thinks that people should give their child up for adoption rather than have an abortion are not totally looking at the long term effects. Studies have been done that show a mothers emotional and physical health during pregancy affect the child. No one should be forced to go through a pregnancy.  Yes, there are plenty of people out there who want to be parents, but there are also plenty of children already in existence who need a good home that are looked past because they have a problem of some sort or just no longer a baby.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:c0f593c0-e5be-47f6-b338-29091b685a8d">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I'm pretty sure you can pay an "uninsured driver" fee in VA and NOT be required to have car insurance.  Which means I have to pay an uninsured drivers' part of MY insurance (in case they hit me...wtf)
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]

I do have uninsured motorist insurance, but it costs me EXTRA.  Why the hell do I have to pay for something to cover my ass because the other driver doesn't have insurance.  If you don't have insurance you shouldn't be driving.  I was hit by an uninsured motorist and they tried to drive away but I'll be damned if I let them, so I blocked their escape.  She gave some BS about it being a rental or loaner car.  When I threatened to call the cops she offered to pay for my damages real quick. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:bc3d9ce7-276f-407f-a08b-32275c417a4f">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : No, it wouldn't - it would be regulated. A PP has stated that in European countries, where the drinking ages are 16-18, there are LESS alcohol-related incidents. <strong>The same way that drug use would decrease if it were legal.</strong>

Yep.  I am for legalizing several drugs.  And then taxing the crap out of them.  Let it rain money, b!tches!

I am in the camp that the illegal drug trade causes a lot of havoc on our society.  Legalize it.  Put it out in the open.  Tax it.  Have laws regarding safe usage, much in the same way as alcohol.  Let those who let drugs ruin their lives do so. 

So in essence, bring back true Darwinism. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:b0c936df-c567-4588-8438-923eccd70edd">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : It's the difference between high school and college- in my OPINION, only mine, I realize others may be different, high school and college is a big difference. 
    Posted by Bthor[/QUOTE]

True. But what I'm saying is that the difference isn't automatic. I didn't feel more any more mature in the fall of 2008 when I started college than I did in June of the same year when I graduated high school. It took months, and even years, before I felt the effects of the difference - being more responsible for my schoolwork (i.e. knowing that I had to stay in and study/write a paper versus "going out") and balancing jobs.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:84ab5f9d-0bda-40dc-915d-c8f717b93b81Post:b52badaf-bb51-447d-8d83-53544a866c8b">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I should come up with something a little more substantial than the electric slide so.... I think marajuana should be legalized.  And no, I don't smoke it. 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

I agree to this, if people can home brew why can't people grow their own pot.  I believe the addiction is no more or even less than smoking cigarettes or drinking.  Some of the most talented and gifted thinkers I know smoked pot.  And yes I smoked pot when I was younger.  A girl who can't drink alcohol had to find other ways to be amused. 
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with legalizing marajuana and then taxing the hell out of it. My only issue is regarding driving under the influence. Once they figure that out then I'm all for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards