Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Boards Help?

So I made a mistake somewhere and lurked on some boards and my first OP was a disaster...the girls were super mean...advice for posting on other boards? You guys have been the nicest and most helpful!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Boards Help?

• edited December 2011
    International boards can come off as pretty cray-cray, but a lot of those girls have a) been around for a long time and b) see a lot of people who come in and start posting a ton of bad posts without reading or adhering to any forum rules or norms.

My advice is to read the stickies and lurk more on those boards to kind of get the temperature of the room.  That advice is good for.. any board.

Also, there is a Not Yet Engaged board?  And they are mad that you posted your excitement about getting engaged soon?  Silly geese.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
     Ha yes that's exactly what I did. On the Not Yet Engaged. Thanks for the advice though! Newbs I'm sure are fun lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My advice:  stay here until you're married.  You'll get all the help you need right here.  The other boards are skeery.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:5e976d05-cc89-4622-9d1d-641092e0446d">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My advice:  stay here until you're married.  You'll get all the help you need right here.  The other boards are skeery.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Haha, this is pretty much what I do.  When I'm bored I lurk on the Int'l boards or The Nest.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:5e976d05-cc89-4622-9d1d-641092e0446d">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My advice:  stay here until you're married.  You'll get all the help you need right here.  The other boards are skeery.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Co-signed, Me

The international boards (especially reception ideas) are good for a laugh.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:9cac9122-62e3-49de-8414-6e9f98e31c06">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boards Help? : Co-signed, Me The international boards (especially reception ideas) are good for a laugh.
    Posted by FebDallasBride[/QUOTE]

There are some pretty good ones on Etiquette today.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Best advice! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am also totally terrified of the other boards. The etiquette posts are funny, but they're also really scary.

Don't let scary cranky people get to you! They're just being internet bullies.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, now I'm confused.  I read through your whole thread, and while the whole idea of a board for "not yet engaged" people kind of bothers me, I don't understand why the "regs" there are being SO bitchy.  Like, they seem legitimately annoyed by your excitement and the fact that you are already starting to plan... isn't that, like, the point of that specific board?

I get why the girls on E or Receptions or SB come off as rude -- the nonregs who post there are straight up crazy.  I do not understand why they all ganged up on you like that.

Whatever.  Stay here and be awesome.
    Anniversary

• SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:81aa71af-32e9-4d1c-b749-0a265d798fc8">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>My advice is to read the stickies and lurk more on those boards to kind of get the temperature of the room.</strong>  Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

This is FANTASTIC ADVICE!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:62903594-0c08-4709-b4bb-7df5cb0b1885">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, now I'm confused.  I read through your whole thread, and while the whole idea of a board for "not yet engaged" people kind of bothers me, I don't understand why the "regs" there are being SO bitchy.  Like, they seem legitimately annoyed by your excitement and the fact that you <strong>are already starting to plan... isn't that, like, the point of that specific board?</strong>I get why the girls on E or Receptions or SB come off as rude -- the nonregs who post there are straight up crazy.  I do not understand why they all ganged up on you like that. Whatever.  Stay here and be awesome.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

The Not Engaged Yet board is to talk the BSC out of the non-engaged girls who are pre-planning their "wedding" (which isn't happening yet, since they're not engaged).  :)

If more posters would take your previous advice to read the stickies before posting, we wouldn't have have to be so blunt all the time.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:e8dfe9cb-4cb7-49c2-858f-46f2a493f798">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boards Help? : This is FANTASTIC ADVICE! In Response to Re: Boards Help? : The Not Engaged Yet board is to talk the BSC out of the non-engaged girls who are pre-planning their "wedding" (which isn't happening yet, since they're not engaged).  :) If more posters would take your previous advice to read the stickies before posting, we wouldn't have have to be so blunt all the time.
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about your board, as I only today learned of its existence.  I will grant that dealing with crazed "wanttomarrynow" girls would drive one crazy (I mean, I was in a sorority at Baylor... we're talking about half the conversations I heard on campus here). 

I suppose I'm happy the overall theme of the board is not a bunch of freshmen sharing tips on how to make their boyfriend propose.  Thanks for explaining.
    Anniversary

• elidellioelidellio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap! I just read your threat on Not Engaged Yet and those girls are awful. I've gotten a lot of great advice on this board and my month board (March 2012) is great, too. I don't really stray from those two because everyone else is mean. lol
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there's a line between being blunt and beating a dead horse. 
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Did you change your date from July 14th to the 15th? 
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:1914a1ad-0c80-4dfe-9d9f-a747a6349893Post:e8dfe9cb-4cb7-49c2-858f-46f2a493f798">Re: Boards Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boards Help? : This is FANTASTIC ADVICE! In Response to Re: Boards Help? : The Not Engaged Yet board is to talk the BSC out of the non-engaged girls who are pre-planning their "wedding" (which isn't happening yet, since they're not engaged).  :) If more posters would take your previous advice to read the stickies before posting, we wouldn't have have to be so blunt all the time.
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>OK, I wasn't going to jump in on this, but the fact that you felt the need to follow this poster over here to defend the NEY Board's 'bluntness' or, just plain rudeness,  made me feel the need to jump in.</div><div>
    </div><div>As someone who mod's three boards on here, two international, and one local board - I decided to read through the OP's thread on NEY, because most of the time, I can see why the international board was "blunt" - however after reading through her post, it is beyond me why anyone would feel even remotely welcome on that board.  And then you followed the OP over here, when all she was looking for was advice - since she clearly didn't get any support on NEY.  As for your picture telling another poster to "STFU", well, that just wouldn't fly over here.</div><div>
    </div><div>While we're on the subject of telling people exactly how "your" board works... if you'd be so kind to read the top of NEY it states<strong> "You've planned your flowers, found a gown.. but no ring (yet)? Welcome to NEY."  </strong>So, no SKP, you are wrong.  The board is NOT to make fun of "BSC" girls planning their wedding... the board is FOR GIRLS PLANNING THEIR WEDDING WITHOUT A RING.  I think that if we all used a little reading comprehension here, it would do a world of difference.</div><div>
    </div><div>Now, while we're at it - to the OP (roses), Professor is correct, lurking and reading the stickies is a great place to start.  It helps a ton to get the feel of a board, and please don't let one board ruin you on all of the international ones.  I am very active on other boards, and I really enjoy them.  Just be sure you get the vibe first.  Happy Posting!

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I love you.
    Anniversary

• angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you posted on this, Brianna.  I wasn't going to say anything either until I saw the poster follow the OP over here to comment, and then read that she went BACK to the NEY engaged boards to share her post from here with everyone else.  Hence the point I made -- if you want to be blunt, that's fine, and I accept that on international boards.  But it doesn't give you a free pass to be an azzhole, and it really shouldn't be any motivation for you to follow a  poster around TK and make a day out of it.  Find a hobby, you'll be much happier.

And I love what you found in the NEY stickies LOL.  When I was reading her post I was thinking, "... isn't that EXACTLY what that board is for?"
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Etiquette still scares the crap out of me. And sorry, some of the regulars are BSC. There was one in particular...MrsE I think, but she came "back from the dead" (banned) under new names all the time, that really really had me wondering.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, and I went back and read your post on NEY...WTF?

I'm sorry, stickies are wonderful, but you should not expect every new poster to carefully read every little damn nuance YOU deem necesary for entering your little message board group. If you want a close little circle without newbies who can understandly not "get" the vibe and be over-excited, start your own private board somewhere. There are plenty of places to do it.

I'm on multiple message boards and never see this crap anywhere else as much as I do here on some of the boards on The Knot.

Jeez...grow up already. (not OP, the ladies on the other board)
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    I am very happy you guys gave me such good advice. I stopped reading the other board after about 15 posts when I realized how ridiculous it was getting. Oh well they can enjoy their circle if they want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our mod for the win. I've loved my experiences here. Almost all of you were SO nice and helpful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yea that whole board is BSC. Why even come to TK if you're not planning?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards