North Carolina

ideas for kid friendly ceremony

We have 3 little girls ourselves (they will be 7, 4, and 3 when we get married). Most of our friends also have young children as well. Does anyone have any ideas for ceremony/reception that would be kid friendly? I don't want it to be all about the kids, but I want it to be a comfortable atmosphere. We were talking about Duke Gardens for the ceremony. I definately like the feel of an outdoor wedding. I'm just not sure what to do about all of the kids. I want them to be a part of it, but also be able to run around and have fun. Maybe with a couple of adult supervisors?

Re: ideas for kid friendly ceremony

• edited December 2011
    We had an outside wedding last summer.  I had a candy bar, of all wrapped candy (huge lollipops, smarties, swedish fish, dums dum, etc.).  We had tons of kids and they all loved the candy bar.  There also free templates for wedding coloring books on google.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    coloring books with crayons (NOT markers)
    puzzle books
    jigsaw puzzles

depending on the level of entertainment and the volunteer adult supervisors... and the number of kids and their interests...
    tug of war
    jump rope
    croquet set (sounds old, but we loved it when I was growing up)

or they could just bring a football ... that reminds me of a family BBQ / picnic, so it just depends on the atmosphere you are trying to achieve.

I may be WAY off on my list of suggestions but you might find something that works for you from others as well.  Good Luck!!! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • MysticCupcakeMysticCupcake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! I like the coloring books (definately crayons and not markers) and the Candy Bar sounds fun too! I am hoping to keep the kids reasonably clean. I LOVED croquet when I was younger as well. Sounds like a pretty good thought! Thanks ladies! Now, any reception location suggestions?
  • edited December 2011
    Don't know how far into Durham you're willing to go, but the place I was going to have my reception if it had been more in my budget is Rigsbee Hall.  It's right beside City Hall in downtown Durham.  You can bring in all of your own vendors there, so it's not one of those all-inclusive reception spots.

The Durham Marriott and Civic Center is a really popular place for receptions and really fantastic because they do weddings all the time.  

Depending on your budget... the Washington Duke Inn is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and the pastry chef there actually owns her own private bakery -- (and is working on getting a store front, for now they sell out of a company van and a certified food kitchen): http://eatdaisycakes.com/.  The W-Duke Inn is really close to Duke Gardens too, so driving directions would be pretty simple for your guests.  

Depending on your interests, you could also look into having the reception at the Durham Arts Council... art exhibits, etc, and it could be a nice finger-foods type place.  

My favorite place to stay in that area is The King's Daughter's Inn which is right beside Duke's campus... 17 rooms and VERY beautiful place.  They have a private dining area you can rent out and the rental includes linens/dishes/etc, you just bring in your own caterer.  They OFTEN work with Durham Catering Co. which has a office/store front besides the post office on Shannon Road in Durham.

I probably rambled, hope you can find some ideas that work for you!  I nixxed quite a few reception spots off my list and these are just a few of the ones that were more expensive than my budget would allow for the number of guests we wanted to invite. 

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • MysticCupcakeMysticCupcake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks Kelly! I had looked at WDuke Inn already, but it's a little higher than I was hoping to spend. (Gorgeous though!) I am looking to spend as little as possible. We honestly do not know how much financial assistance we will have for sure and we are a single income family with 3 kids and a SAHD.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards