Military Brides

Appropriate Attire - Help!

My BF got invited to a reception tonight where the USMC Commandant will be attending.  He's trying to figure out if the invitation includes a guest (aka me), but if it does, I don't have anything to wear and have to go buy something quickly!

The invitation said summer dress whites or service equivalent.  BF is trying to make sure he has the service equivalent (service alphas, we believe).  But I don't know what to wear if I can go!  Is this like dress blues - do I need a gown?  The reception is from 7-10pm, if that matters.

Anniversary

Re: Appropriate Attire - Help!

• Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

If he ends up wearing alphas I would go with a nice, formal-ish cocktail dress.  No stretchy or knit fabrics.  Regardless of uniform just remember to try to always match how formal the SM's uniform is.  If you get to go have fun! 

ETA: I just realized I wrote alphas instead of service alphas.  I meant service alphas.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    HOW AWESOME! I <3 General Amos.

Anyway, if he's in service alphas, I agree with what Sammy said. I wouldn't do anything with cleavage, or spaghetti straps. 

If that's to old for you, http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3145067?origin=category&resultback=2880 IF you are shorter than the model, and it hits you lower (around the knee).

I prefer the first one for this occasion. 

I hate the service uniform (not really) because there's all these beautiful teal and purple dresses that would be awesome, but not with the pickle.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stan, I love that first dress!  Sadly, I've got a much smaller budget than Nordstroms.

I just ran to David's Bridal during lunch and looked at their bridesmaid selection - picked out a red dress similar to that first one!  It was on sale, so only $75!

Thanks for letting me know knee-length was okay.  This is my first USMC event (besides his graduation from OCS, which doesn't count at all since I could wear whatever).  I wanted to get a floor length dress, but it would need to be hemmed and I don't have time for that!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards